Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Goose Caller

Goose Caller

Wondering what type of goose callers people are using? Not really wanting to spend more than $80 but just want a easy call to start on.
    Keen to get into goose hunting as i am only 15 minutes away from Lake Ellesmere.
    Any advice would be helpful
    Cheers

Ejected
    Hi Duncan, I can't tell you which caller to get but it should be in a bright fashionable color. If you want an easy call and aren't going to put the time into learning how to use a short reed get a Hammond flute or traditional goose call. If you want to learn how to use a short reed then PM me and I can send you a very helpful video. For what it's worth I run a Tim Grounds Real Thang in Chartreuse which is the caller that the bloke uses on the Bad Grammar dvd. The guys who won the goose calling comp at the Thar show used a Tim Ground Overhauler G which is a Real Thang with a shaved reed.
    Hautapu likes this.

quite surprised how easy the power clucker is to blow and set up.
    considering my deteriorating hearing group opinion is it sounds good.
    at 79 bucks I think its alright being a zink call.

G'day MassiveAttack. I'm sure Im going to get lots of practice waiting for birds to fly around at Lake Ellesmere so I may as well learn the best way! Is a short reed much harder to use?

G'day gsp follower. I had a go on the zinc power clucker last weekend and it seemed to sound alright. Will be my go to if other people recommend it as well.

I'm sure Im going to get lots of practice waiting for birds to fly around at Lake Ellesmere ]
    unfortunatly like duck hunting you need to be upto speed on a call or two at least before you hunt.
    cos blowing for the sake of practise in a pozzie will just let them know your there and scare any floating about away.

Ejected
    A short reed is much harder but don't let that put you off because it's the best type to use in the long run. If you are keen enough then go for it.

If you know how to blow the NZ parrie caller it can also be used as a goose caller
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    unfortunatly like duck hunting you need to be upto speed on a call or two at least before you hunt.
    cos blowing for the sake of practise in a pozzie will just let them know your there and scare any floating about away.
    I managed to turn a few geese towards us in the weekend with the zinc call that i was borrowing when we were duck shooting at Ellesmere but we only had 4 geese decoys at the time however have got a few more now. However unfortunately they were just too high to shoot

Ejected
    Was that on saturday afternoon? That was a great wind. We got six mallards and a spoonie for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Was that on saturday afternoon? That was a great wind. We got six mallards and a spoonie for the afternoon.
    Yeah we went out Saturday morning expecting to get the wind but it didn't turn up until we had to leave at 10 am for rugby. All we had come in was teal, teal and a lot more teal however we did manage to get a swan. We were very gutted walking back to the car and looking back to see a choppy lake with heaps of birds flying around.
    lumberjack likes this.

I use a single reed. Harder to learn, but more versatile in terms of tone, volume and pitch. That said, I learnt on a single reed. I just got hold of bad grammar and spent a lot of time in the garage annoying the neighbours. MassiveAttack is 100% correct, you must get a bright coloured call otherwise it simply will not work. I run a GK Canuck in a rich blue. Take a look at some of the callers made with poly is you want to save yourself some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hautapu View Post
    I use a single reed. Harder to learn, but more versatile in terms of tone, volume and pitch. That said, I learnt on a single reed. I just got hold of bad grammar and spent a lot of time in the garage annoying the neighbours. MassiveAttack is 100% correct, you must get a bright coloured call otherwise it simply will not work. I run a GK Canuck in a rich blue. Take a look at some of the callers made with poly is you want to save yourself some money.
    Why the bright colour?
    Last edited by Lukeduncan; 24-05-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeduncan View Post
    Why the bright colour?
    Because fashion is important and you have to look good while doing what you do. It's also important to record yourself looking good on social media. If you are having a shit time then just pretend you are having a awesome time so your friends who view the photos on social media feel envious of the good time you are pretending to have.

I have the TG Real Thang in translucent chartreuse
    And a GK Canuck in clear but with the very attractive broken in guts in green that you can see through the clear body of the call.
    And a TG Triple Crown in sparkle blue.

Bad Grammar is the DVD you need. Even if you can make the simple honk on a short reed (which puts you ahead of most people) Bad Grammar will teach you all the other notes.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Because fashion is important and you have to look good while doing what you do. It's also important to record yourself looking good on social media. If you are having a shit time then just pretend you are having a awesome time so your friends who view the photos on social media feel envious of the good time you are pretending to have.

I have the TG Real Thang in translucent chartreuse
    And a GK Canuck in clear but with the very attractive broken in guts in green that you can see through the clear body of the call.
    And a TG Triple Crown in sparkle blue.

Bad Grammar is the DVD you need. Even if you can make the simple honk on a short reed (which puts you ahead of most people) Bad Grammar will teach you all the other notes.
    Cheers for the advice! Has anyone tried the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer?
    Been watching a few youtube videos about basic goose calling and starting to get a good idea of what to do.

Massive Attack is correct. I would only add that you also need a fancy looking lanyard to hold all your calls. Even if you are just duck hunting, it is important to have all those fancy goose callers on display.
    Lukeduncan likes this.