Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Goose cull today lake Ellesmere

I don't think much actually happened to the Feds last time, even with the media attention. As for DOC, just like deer - every dead goose is a good goose, regardless of how and who killed it.

This does all suck really and I'm not sure how and if its going to get any better in the short to medium term.

[QUOTE]I don't think much actually happened to the Feds last time, even with the media attention. As for DOC, just like deer - every dead goose is a good goose, regardless of how and who killed it.[/QUOTE]

its not so much what happened to feds but as it was explained to me it was the bad pr of the main culls in respect of a major financial supporter of the culls.the 100 grand government money doest go a long way spread over just nth canterbury and csi region even. so other intrested parties contributed to the elly culls, thinking its the source of all thier worries .were embarrassed by the mess left and shown on tv. actaully the estuary and the closer roosts would make more sence to target but with these having thier own set of problems and restrictions elly copped the flak.the opinion is now smaller culls will become the norm and a management plan still needs inception which without, efforts would seem to be scattered and losing momentum.the latest counts say there are 6 thousand geese spread round the lake a number i would have thought impossible by my limited scouting, but they are there, spread from arsehole to breakfeast in smaller to larger groups most apparently arriving as little as 2 days before they started moulting.
    yes they are getting harder to hunt and pressure has been a factor but the surprising thing to me was that the informee detected a leesening of committment in goosehunters ?a result of pest status or expedential rise in thier unpredictability and thier smaller groups and more spread out behavior ?? take your pick. depending on what numbers return from the high country maybe even some west coast geese ??its not as gloomy as thought but its hard to be optimistic when your seeing f all where you saw hundreds if not thousands.we knew it couldnt continue at those numbers but it seems they are there and perhaps a year or 2 of settling down may be needed for things to be great again, not withstanding any kills needed to reduce problem hot spots hopefuly recllasfication back to gamebird status to. . another point the respondent ephasized is the timing of culls which he thinks should be late winter as they mob up more and hunters have aided reductiont ,then bring in boats choppers as a last resort rather than a constant threat..??ps would you think that less than one in twenty geese at the moment are breeding birds? thats the opinion and a fact apparently.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 07-01-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Munsey likes this.

Think you are right on alot of this. There certainly appear to be a good population on the coast and from Tekapo to Cromwell. North Canterbury does have reduced numbers and the ones out there are getting a whole heap wiser and harder to get in close! Not sure what it's like at Bromley these days.

I understood that the Fed big cull did NOT use any of the $100k that the government budgeted for. The operation was self funded, I imagine some in here will know the truth.

Hunting large numbers of birds with decoys and blinds need to be done on a pretty large scale. Guys set up all around the lake, couple of boats pushing them of the middle of the lake and I suspect it would be wise to have a few guns at the poo ponds and Akaroa.

Given recent articles in the magazines, it would be easy to believe there is a massive population at the lake and in the high country. These articles will only increase the culling operations by the Feds etc. Dropping 300 birds in a day from a single setup, must mean there are heaps of bird, doesn't it(I saw seven deer in one valley on Saturday, so I now think that area I was in must have a lot of deer)? These are not helping the hunters like you and me, members on the goose hunting club but never seem to get an invite???? Well, ex member anyway.
    gsp follower likes this.

Ejected
    I would agree with your comments around perceived numbers US. My personal opinion is that numbers are a lot less than the peak, higher than 2012 after the wrath but nowhere where what they were in 2010. Also I think the prolonged lower lake level has pushed a lot of birds to the coast end of the lake which is where you are seeing the big numbers shot.

They got culled in Tekapo last year and I would expect the same to happen this molt.

Geese are a lot more vulnerable in the longer team than rabbits. A mating pair of geese produces 5 to 8 chicks a year. A rabbit can spit out that number of offspring every 12 weeks so their breeding potential is a order of magnitude higher. Geese are also a lot more visible and vulnerable in the molt. I think the reality we face is a long slow grind downwards in terms of goose numbers.
    gsp follower likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I would agree with your comments around perceived numbers US. My personal opinion is that numbers are a lot less than the peak, higher than 2012 after the wrath but nowhere where what they were in 2010. Also I think the prolonged lower lake level has pushed a lot of birds to the coast end of the lake which is where you are seeing the big numbers shot.

They got culled in Tekapo last year and I would expect the same to happen this molt.

Geese are a lot more vulnerable in the longer team than rabbits. A mating pair of geese produces 5 to 8 chicks a year. A rabbit can spit out that number of offspring every 12 weeks so their breeding potential is a order of magnitude higher. Geese are also a lot more visible and vulnerable in the molt. I think the reality we face is a long slow grind downwards in terms of goose numbers.
    true massive and given that they dont mate till is it 3 or 5 years??the bulk of the breeding birds and their young are still up country.how many come down and whether they,ve been pressured up there will probably determine whether early feb is a feast or famine.
    I understood that the Fed big cull did NOT use any of the $100k that the government budgeted for. The operation was self funded, I imagine some in here will know the truth.
    lets be honest the airport is partially/fully funding kills not all maybe but most anywhere near elly or the flight paths are with thier involvment,financial or otherwise.
    they have said big kills and thier mess are off the table cos of the bad pr on tv last time.doc had little involvement past clarifying where thier land and or ngai tahus became private land and did say anyone could jump in a boat chopper and kill geese without a permit ??strange when they make me get one every year one for gamebirds and one for geese?
    ?
    one in twenty geese at the moment are breeding birds? thats the opinion and a fact apparently.
    realised to late to re edit this is a bit misleading it should be 1 in 20 geese at the lake at the moment are breeding birds that wont change till the late jan feb influx.
    Given recent articles in the magazines, it would be easy to believe there is a massive population at the lake and in the high country. These articles will only increase the culling operations by the Feds etc. Dropping 300 birds in a day from a single setup, must mean there are heaps of bird, doesn't it(I saw seven deer in one valley on Saturday, so I now think that area I was in must have a lot of deer)? These are not helping the hunters like you and me, members on the goose hunting club but never seem to get an invite???? Well, ex member anyway.
    well they are there but pressure and heavy pressure at that has changed behavior but if you let them build and settle yes the 300 shoot is still possible especialy if you have 150 deekes out . the strangest thing to me is the williest gamebird makes the same fn mistakes year after year ie going to places where the get hammered year after year??for instance if the geese hung around green park sands instead of say kaituna a big organised kill would be unviable but they dont and year after year they got bopped in kaituna f&g culls and the big wrath same at bromly?
    Last edited by gsp follower; 08-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.

lets be honest the airport is partially/fully funding kills not all maybe but most anywhere near elly or the flight paths are with thier involvment,financial or otherwise.
    to be fair they have supported the nzgbha as well

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    the strangest thing to me is the williest gamebird makes the same fn mistakes year after year ie going to places where the get hammered year after year??for instance if the geese hung around green park sands instead of say kaituna a big organised kill would be unviable but they dont and year after year they got bopped in kaituna f&g culls and the big wrath same at bromly?
    That's easy to understand. They only have a small brain so the older ones forget over summer and the young ones don't know yet.

sounds a familliar affliction

fine&dandy culling these geese ,but also the PR thing again comes into play.surely public notification of such activity on ellesmere would be prudent.after all there are othewr users ,fisherman,birdwatchers(YES!!) tourists etc etc ,an lets face it to be anti gun these days aint too uncool either.anyone witnessing these culls in action ,or worst stillblun dering right into one ,is almost certainly relate this to garden variety gooseshooting activity.everyone get my drift.
    veitnamcam, EeeBees and Snuffit like this.

see a glowing report by a female reporter on Stuff.co
    2000geese taken ,etc etc etc etc.
    Ive every reason to be sceptical .

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    see a glowing report by a female reporter on Stuff.co
    2000geese taken ,etc etc etc etc.
    Ive every reason to be sceptical .
    you and me both old son helluva difference between 300 and 2,000??
    i dont quite get why theyre willing to live with heaps at the estuary but blame ellesmere as a strike risk??
    even given the councill restrictions and problems the nzgbha seems to reguly cream them but big numbers remain as a more present danger than elly??

piecemeal culling like ever other bloody attempt in this country's frigging history simply does not work,possums ,deer ,goats ,rabbits,yes theyve all had the shit hammered out of em ,but just bounce back a bloody sight more cunning than ever.
    the sooner these local wombles and so called experts realise that the bloody better.
    the resources are out there,a bit of effective communication and meticulous planning would probably be a bloody sight more effective in my opinion.the "official" GSP follower spoke to is of the same opinion Im led to believe.
    BTW-CHCH airport -Heard a cracker tale once of their efforts at pigeon control.Im sure Massive knows the tale and might like to relate it.

Ejected
    But sure if the tale you are referring to tube so you might have to tell it. Let then know I have some fancy pigeon deeks if they are still having problems.

the story goes CHCH airport had a hazard with a paddock full of pigeons.some experienced shooters asked if they wanted the problem dealt with .nup ,apparently they'd hired "the man".
    Anyway according to my source someone saw "the man",in actionwhich consisted of him squatting by a fence ,and when a mob of birds came in ,running out and blasting away till they shot through.
    to cut the tale short,eventually the airport realised their fauxpas ,and a proper crew was summoned who Im told ,enjoyed some very good shooting ,but not from the feathered rats pointof view.a lotof FRs apparently didnt even make their last supper ,or lunch either.

Ejected
    More heli culls this weekend apparently.