Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: no lead from 2021

I have only ever shot 2 times with lead and only with steel ever since. I can only say that this will push even more to 12G semi autos which is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    People seem to have conveniently short memories and forget that prior to the restrictions on 12G lead usage, there was no non-toxic ammo available here, despite it being readily available overseas. Yet once the restrictions were imposed, the importers started bringing it in....so too will it happen next year for sub-gauges. One importer I spoke to has already confirmed such. First, without a demand, there is simply no need to supply.
    yep and I remember the cheap nasty shit that was available fiocchi and b&p
    I don't doubt you gq but h&f aint interested the suppliiers to the 2 other shops and the hull agent not interested either.
    given your example which I remember to be reasonably correct in relation to supply 9 out of 10 waterfowl hunters.
    can you honestly say there,l be a rush to supply less than 1 out of 10 hunters.
    I hope your right and I'm wrong and supply is widespread and various but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

[/QUOTE] ihave only ever shot 2 times with lead and only with steel ever since. I can only say that this will push even more to 12G semi autos which is not a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

id be more inclined that subgaugers might go the 2 3/4 inch steel route and lightweight 12,s those that can afford or want to.
    but why 12 gauge semi,s and why would it be a good thing 300calman??
    Last edited by gsp follower; 10-06-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Ironically the US is finding that steel is worse than lead in waterways. it rusts and turns the water orange.
    If it's possible,could you please reference or produce and article pertaining to that.Not saying it's not true at all.We use steel shot,as we have too,and I have discussed that very issue with game/bird managnent here in Oregon,their take is more damage from lead than from steel.The lesser of the two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    id be more inclined that subgaugers might go the 2 3/4 inch steel route and lightweight 12,s those that can afford or want to.
    but why 12 gauge semi,s and why would it be a good thing 300calman??
    Because most 12ga hunters seem to think you need to fire shells with heavy payloads and hence recoil which the semi auto will help make manageable.

Personally I see no advantage in a semi as it would seem most regions are restricting to 3 shots or as here in Tasman "no magazine extensions allowed".

I will be sticking with my 20 and 28ga Under and Overs myself
    EeeBees likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I don't doubt you gq but h&f aint interested the suppliiers to the 2 other shops and the hull agent not interested either.
    given your example which I remember to be reasonably correct in relation to supply 9 out of 10 waterfowl hunters.
    I hope your right and I'm wrong and supply is widespread and various but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
    ihave only ever shot 2 times with lead and only with steel ever since. I can only say that this will push even more to 12G semi autos which is not a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

but why 12 gauge semi,s and why would it be a good thing 300calman??[/QUOTE]

Personally I see it as a deviant means of one day in time it will be a useful excuse to eliminate semis ... we will follow the track Australia has set ...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 10-06-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I am not obviously up to speed on this so I am left wondering what was F&G consultation process with licence holders in this?

I mean to say, poor old F&G ... 150 years anniversary of the introduction of the Mallard into this country and this years licence depicts the Californian Quail ... they cannot even get that right ...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 10-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Wirehunt, gadgetman, mikee and 1 others like this.

If retailers and importers can make a dollar on a sale, then they will bring it in. Plain and simple, as that's the sole reason they are in business.

The use of non-toxic shot for waterfowl hunting is already mandatory in many overseas countries, including the United States, Canada, Europe and some Australian states.

"Some" ... only Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and Northern Territory are permitted ... yet thousands of ducks are shot on the rice in New South Wales ... again a classic example of double standards ...
    mikee likes this.

If retailers and importers can make a dollar on a sale, then they will bring it in. Plain and simple, as that's the sole reason they are in business.
    you knpw they cant and wont the hassles of importing ammo the pre ordering needed and the amounts wanted will make it a non starter.
    nice of f&g to give us grace period to find something else to use I guess but still a big pain in the arse they,ve got me twice now.
    Personally I see it as a deviant means of one day in time it will be a useful excuse to eliminate semis ... we will follow the track Australia has set ...
    never happen EeBees as long as theres 3 inch and bigger steel there,l be semi,s no bugger in his right mind is gonna shoot that shit[ ,3 or 3.5 inch steel ]out of a sxs or u.o
    gadgetman, EeeBees and 300CALMAN like this.

you knpw they cant and wont the hassles of importing ammo the pre ordering needed and the amounts wanted will make it a non starter.
    nice of f&g to give us grace period to find something else to use I guess but still a big pain in the arse they,ve got me twice now.

never happen EeBees as long as theres 3 inch and bigger steel there,l be semi,s no bugger in his right mind is gonna shoot that shit[ ,3 or 3.5 inch steel ]out of a sxs or u.o
    Simple, most people I know went from pumps or U/Os to a gas operated semi to cut down on the recoil of the nasty steel ammo.

The more people who have semi's the more who will be pissed if the government tries to ban them. I think it will work against an attempt to ban semi's.
    Micky Duck and nightshooter like this.

you knpw they cant and wont the hassles of importing ammo the pre ordering needed and the amounts wanted will make it a non starter
    There is no more hassle to importing 20G steel, as there is 12G steel.

Those of us who are prepared to adapt, will do some research, buy a few boxes of different ammo, pattern it and familiarise themselves with it. They will practise with cheap 20G steel clay loads to learn the differences in lead required and just get on with it.

Those of us who are prepared to adapt, will do some research, buy a few boxes of different ammo, pattern it and familiarise themselves with it. They will practise with cheap 20G steel clay loads to learn the differences in lead required and just get on with it.
    I may be doing just that providing i can get hold of some except for the clays practice as steel shot is banned on all NZCTA grounds (safety issues) as far as I am aware.
    Shooting clay's with mate in a paddock with a single trap does not constitute practice in my book
    Wirehunt, EeeBees and gqhoon like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

The last two duck shooting 'eye-opener' shoots I attended had no issue with us using steel atleast.
    public or private gq club names if you don't mind

oh yea chamber adapters for smaller subgauges oops
    stop being a dick gq if you wanted to start your familiarisation tomorrow you couldn't and to try and bullshit up ''your gonna have lots of choice'' is laughable.
    there.l be no such thing as cheap 20 gauge steel
    oh ok so they don't have to order it 6 months or more ahead.
    it don't get flown cos its a dg so by boats your only option and even then it don't always go when its supposed to .
    cos of only so many dg classifacations allowed or limited room for some classifacations.
    you can get it sent from and to anywhere in the country anytime by any carrier sweet??
    wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 10-06-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I may be doing just that providing i can get hold of some except for the clays practice as steel shot is banned on all NZCTA grounds (safety issues) as far as I am aware.
    Shooting clay's with mate in a paddock with a single trap does not constitute practice in my book
    Yup, that's the one Mike. I've noted several clay-shooting grounds renewing their Resource Consents or getting them for the first time are being required to use steel, so presumably they're not NZCTA affiliated. The last two duck shooting 'eye-opener' shoots I attended had no issue with us using steel atleast.

One thing we won't be able to avoid unfortunately, is the use of plastic wads in all the steel clay-shooting loads we use. But atleast the photo-biodegradable options are available. They do still look unsightly until they've disappeared though.

By my recollection, 20G and 12G steel target loads have been available in NZ since late 2010. At about $120/slab I didn't think it was too expensive?

Have used it at both private and public clay-shoots, with no issue after explaining what it was.

Happy enough to use it on pigeons also.....430 picked up after a mornings shoot, both 12G and 20G steel 7's.