Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tyke

Thread: Opening Day - Lake Waihola

Opening Day - Lake Waihola

Well this was a first opening weekend on a big lake out of a mates mia mai that he wasnt shooting this season. It will be remembered for many reasons (not so much the shooting or bag !).

The approach did not go well to the weekend. We decided to set the Dekes out Fri morning , not ideal but Ern had to that aft. So borrowed smallish old fibreglass dinghy with outboard and away we go. The outward journey was fine..however coming back a third of the way into the lake and the motor died. We eventually got back with a mix of paddling and finally getting the spluttering motor working...

Opening morning and fingers crossed with a flushed tank ,in line filter and fresh fuel. Jeez a lake looks different in the dark...we eventually found our way across (after hitting a couple of sand banks in the middle !).

First thing we noticed as we approached, two parrie FUDs no longer in the pattern , followed by a pro grade floater , fck !. Oh well carry on. To the mai mai and unload...dog was very relieved to get off the friggin dinghy after being thrown in much against his will.

Most of the gear unloaded , I then heard a yell and splash.. Ern went swimming , so the day was off to a humourous start for me, although the sunken dinghy and motor was slightly less funny..That would have to wait though.. Ern proceeded to ring himself out as I loaded up.

Our weather was no better than many of yours.. clear sky , zero wind and sun. The mai mai is well placed to give you a good sun tan and blind you for frontal shots when the sun is up , great !.

We managed a few ducks...but lost a good third or more in the raupo, even withthe dog they were lost for good.

When it all went quiet we jumped back in the boat and headed off to Ern's where my missus had a cooked breakfast waiting with fresh tea, nice, she is not a bad girl really !.

Then back out.

Sunday morning was quiet as , the weather was either thick fog or reverted to sunny clear sky. We managed to add another four to the bag...

Despite problematic engines, crap weather, a superb caller and shot in the mai mai round the corner who nicked half our birds we had a blast..

Lessons Learnt :

1) Ern swears he is buying a 20g so he can use lead.

2) New mai mai which is not looking straight into the sun and has a non rotten floor that your leg dissapears through

3) Boat and engine issue needs addressing for next season

4) Cut back some of the friggin cover

5) Improve my calling

6) Do some clays to get my eye in before start of season..

Most important lesson that I dont need to learn as I know it...achieving a bag / limit would be nice. But its about being out as night turns to day and that world comes alive, a laugh with a mate, a good dog at your side. A good shot to remember. The memories stored away...thats what duck season is about for me.

All the best for the rest of it guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tyke; 07-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Wildman and Dundee like this.

nice work boys was a hard one for all with that weather

Look like a nice set up