Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Our Birds Out Here In Nevada

Thanks for the post.

I have three covies on my small place and take a few every fall. Ours like thick wild rose and other nasty cover, but we sometimes catch them in the sage. Same beautiful birds...
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

i have a question luv2safari
    i watch a lot of gundog vids from america
    why do so many of the dog workers i see place so much emphasis on the dog holding point?? some so much so that when THEY go to flush the bird its often a long way from where the dogs holding point.??or they appear to running round in circles kicking every bloody bush in a 10 metre radius
    is this because of preserve hunting ie theyre frightened the dog will catch the birds before they shoot?
    my last gsp was steady on the whoa .[certainly not on the shot and was allowed to flush on the release [good boy]
    i hunt wild birds and have only ever had the dogs over many years catch 2 [both hen pheasants which i released unharmed]
    luv2safari likes this.

Some dogs have such good noses they point a bit far back from the birds. As a young boy I had a dog like that, Rip was his name. My name is Bruce, and he was Bruce's Rip-Snorter. He and his sister Lady (Chuckar Lady Reeva) were a great team. Rip would go 200 yards to birds sometimes, nose held high, and Lady would point in closer than Rip, holding the birds better.

My dogs aren't steady to wing and shot on purpose. They're 90% chuckar dogs, and I want them right there where the birds fall. Our country has a lot of volcanic rock fields on steep mountains, and a crippled chuckar will dart down into holes in these rocks or run off and find some kind of hole...badger, groundhog, etc.

This is a bit of a problem when I miss ( too d@mned often now) or miss a pheasant...of go the dogs.

It's customary for our dogs to hold points and the hunter kick the bird out on ahead of the dog, just the way we do it.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    Some dogs have such good noses they point a bit far back from the birds. As a young boy I had a dog like that, Rip was his name. My name is Bruce, and he was Bruce's Rip-Snorter. He and his sister Lady (Chuckar Lady Reeva) were a great team. Rip would go 200 yards to birds sometimes, nose held high, and Lady would point in closer than Rip, holding the birds better.

My dogs aren't steady to wing and shot on purpose. They're 90% chuckar dogs, and I want them right there where the birds fall. Our country has a lot of volcanic rock fields on steep mountains, and a crippled chuckar will dart down into holes in these rocks or run off and find some kind of hole...badger, groundhog, etc.

This is a bit of a problem when I miss ( too d@mned often now) or miss a pheasant...of go the dogs.

It's customary for our dogs to hold points and the hunter kick the bird out on ahead of the dog, just the way we do it.
    i get all of that luv2safari my old duck dog was allowed to be unsteady [like i had a choice with the old bastard] basicly for the reasons of fast water in some of the locations we hunted.
    as stated i had a gsp so considered it part of his job to flush but i see our pointer and setter trials the dog must flush and be steady to it to gain top prize.