Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shooting straight

Shooting straight

Is it just me, or do others have the same problem. I've spent the last 8 months intensely shooting with rifle, often taking running and snap shots. Feeling cocky this opening, and was gonna show all the others up..........but couldn't hit a barndoor if I tried. If I concentrate on the shot, not a problem, but the bird that flushes comes circling back to toss me the finger I'm sure. Worked out I was shooting over, thinking that I'm using a scope, so only looking at end of barrel not along it. Yep I know get the gun fitted, but its a plastic stocked stoeger, with no shims that I'm aware of.
    Being the tightarse that I am, I've come up with a solution. 100mm of 12mm alkathene split and placed along the bead to fool the mind that its a scope of sorts. It forces me to get head down lower to sight and works a treat.

In my early days, I was spraying and praying, not knowing where the lead was going. After some guidance at the club, I went back to my bedroom picked a point on the wall and practiced mounting the gun over and over and over and over again. Start slow, increase the mounting speed as you get more confident that your mounting is right.

Its like learning to play a guitar. You can't play David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo the first time you read the music notes, you need to start slow, build the muscle memory and gradually increase speed constantly being aware of what you are doing until it becomes second nature. I found this to help a lot. Now (I think and I hope) I look at the target and the gun should be spitting the pallets where my eyes are looking, both eyes!

That goes for the two shotguns I have, both with completely different fit, tho I don't use one of them, its just a back up.
    Last edited by Petros_mk; 18-05-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Last season I was fairly accurate, but using the scoped rifle changed that 'muscle memory' I think. It's all coming back now. Just hope it hasn't stuffed the snap rifle shooting. Problems of shooting multi code I guess

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Last season I was fairly accurate, but using the scoped rifle changed that 'muscle memory' I think. It's all coming back now. Just hope it hasn't stuffed the snap rifle shooting. Problems of shooting multi code I guess
    Its not the muscle memory its the subconscious aiming that will be the problem maybe?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Its not the muscle memory its the subconscious aiming that will be the problem maybe?
    Nice one mikee you beat me too it

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    yip
    I have that trouble as well, can't hit shit for awhile
    aiming the damn thing till I figure out what I'm doing, it's a hard habit to break on birds even when your conscious that it's happening.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

And if I concentrate on the shot I miss, If I see the rib I miss but if I concentrate on the target, mount the gun and shoot quickly I do much better
    Petros_mk likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

dont ask me i missed a big boar tonight from 15 feet with a clear shot at its neck with 3inch 2,s

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    dont ask me i missed a big boar tonight from 15 feet with a clear shot at its neck with 3inch 2,s
    shit Mate that's rough...should've gone down like a lead balloon.
    gsp follower likes this.

It's got me wondering how you guys get on at the 3 gun comps. More practice needed at my end I think

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    It's got me wondering how you guys get on at the 3 gun comps. More practice needed at my end I think
    Steel plates don't fly at 40mph nor change direction

R93
    Steel plates don't fly at 40mph nor change direction
    Ha Ha I reckon if they chucked in some chandells, loopers, battues or springers in a shotgun stage it would matter how fast some fuckers could load their gun😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ha Ha I reckon if they chucked in some chandells, loopers, battues or springers in a shotgun stage it would matter how fast some fuckers could load their gun��

we used to have clays on the back of poppers, shoot the popper and the clay got launched in the air and shot (at). I know one local 3 gun shooter who would do OK at what you describe

R93
    we used to have clays on the back of poppers, shoot the popper and the clay got launched in the air and shot (at). I know one local 3 gun shooter who would do OK at what you describe
    Can you describe how those popper activated clays worked mikee?

Do you have to modify the popper much?

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Perfect practice makes perfect...

You never rise to the occasion, you fall back to the level of your training.