Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By deadidick

Thread: Turkeys

Turkeys

What's the story with Turkeys? I've noticed multiple groups of Turkeys on my travels within 10km of home. I've also heard they're not worth eating in any month with an 'R' in it, A.K.A. only eat them in winter. Something to do with them scoffing the abundant insects during the warmer months, making the meat taste nasty.

Eaten quite a few over the years and crickets do make them taste awful. Now's good, I normally avoid eating them from Feb till after easter. The r thing I think comes from the northern hemisphere as do turkeys. May, thru august is end of spring and the summer when things are fresh and tasty so probably flip the months by 6.
    stretch likes this.

Cheers Marty. Will door knock and hopefully get permission to take some.

I got a whole bunch of turkeys middle of January. They were filled with grain and seeds.

If you are unsure of their condition, go at night and live catch them when they are roosting. Feed them up on corn and stuff.

Christmas is getting close, might go hit up my turkey spots next week.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I hit one with my car , mid centre , full speed , didn't even have to swerve , fucking cool !! ,in the rear view all I could see was mega feathers swirling in the slip stream and what looked like a set of bagpipes cartwheeling down the road behind me
    That's a fairly radical way to tenderise.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I hit one with my car , mid centre , full speed , didn't even have to swerve , fucking cool !! ,in the rear view all I could see was mega feathers swirling in the slip stream and what looked like a set of bagpipes cartwheeling down the road behind me
    Haha fukn hilarious My mate did the same thing to one up the wakamarina one morning in his ute, but he swerved to nail it. It caved in his left front guard and was rubbing on the wheel, also ripped off his side mirror. He had to get out and pull the guard of the wheel, I wasn't much help cause I was pissing my self laughing. It sounded like hitting a medicine ball covered in feathers, there was guts and shit every where
    big_foot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Eaten quite a few over the years and crickets do make them taste awful. Now's good, I normally avoid eating them from Feb till after easter. The r thing I think comes from the northern hemisphere as do turkeys. May, thru august is end of spring and the summer when things are fresh and tasty so probably flip the months by 6.
    I doubt that the `R` thing comes from up North, as more Turkeys get eaten in December than any other month, in uk in particular. They are farmed though, so a bit different
    Forgotmaboltagain+1