Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bonecrusher
  • 1 Post By Bonecrusher
  • 2 Post By Bonecrusher

Thread: Wasps dealt too but new problem

Wasps dealt too but new problem

Fish & Game reassures hunters over lake lowering | Eastern Region

Went for a late roar hunt yesterday and did a sneaky mission into the maimai to deal to my wasp invaders.

I was aware that Nova Energy had been lowering the Lake levels but I was very concerned to see that contrary to their assurances to Fish & Game the spill way was still open.

I've just fired off an email to F & G and Nova Energy asking for answers! Interesting to see what the outcome is.

Went into a local knowledge area non maintained pre-DOC spent 7 hrs trying to summon up a stag typical steep Urewera country found a couple of wallows plenty of stag activity, off and on drizzle made the under foot conditions greasy. Conditions for photo's not ideal did I mention steep the one and only sign I came across apart from old venetian track markers had steep scratched into it in front of track I thought later after climbing that face more apt to have "f..ken" as a prefix
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bonecrusher; 25-04-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    199p likes this.

you get much algal bloom in the lake i suspect thats why ours is some times left open longer thans comfortable to hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    you get much algal bloom in the lake i suspect thats why ours is some times left open longer thans comfortable to hunters.
    Nova energy are repairing the tail race channel to the power station hence the dewatering and algal bloom never a problem with the amount of water flow into the lake. It will effect the loafing area's where birds take up residence, no birds in my possie because no water

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    where's your pond
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

good luck they give you a finish date??

Rabbit Bridge - Lake Aniwhenua, had some very interesting conversations with Nova yesterday. Apparently the wanted to drain it for three months refilled 17th May ... outside their Resource consent

Normal level of water

Shot there for years, true right above Rabbit Bridge. The water started disappearing and the Arm that we shot, was getting filled with silt coming in from the Farm land via a stream that the Cockie had diverted. Used to stay in the hut (Matea Lodge) right above our Maimais. Owned by the Koporiki store. Then moved down to Anawhenua lodge for a couple of years but got sick of the shit from Ryder whenever I busted one of his clients for shooting offence's. Always thought about going back there but yeah nah. Enjoy the challenge and the change of scenery from balloting. We used to have the Takeaway shop turn into a restaurant for us on the Saturday night after 1900 hrs. She would hire extra staff and really make an effort for us, which was appreciated. 1986-- 2004
    Last edited by Gapped axe; 27-04-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Lot's of old timers shoot there, I've shot there since moving back North from CH-CH in 07 so a relative newbie. I normally stay at the Lodge but not quite the same experience since it has changed hands (twice) since the Ryder's have left.
    This year have got a bach at Koporiki more user friendly and same cost.
    I'm on the true right down stream of the bridge shoot in one of the Willow lined fingers of the Lake.
    New pup this year so he will get a run at some stage.

Name:  008_zps16dd5265[1].jpg
Views: 348
Size:  152.4 KB

I've had confirmation today from Nova that the lake was low by 2M on Sunday ....... so we are making progress after initially the response was I was incorrect and was talking through a hole in my head.
    A suggestion that a site visit be made to clarify my position was followed though. Fish & Game / EBOP to their credit are locking horns with Nova over the whole issue and I know I'm not the only hunter who has got involved. So pressure has been applied with my "muttering of sitting in on the next Resource Consent Application"

Mate I'm passionate about my outdoors recreation and it is the probably the only thing that will get me barred up
    Bryan likes this.

Eastern F?G were no help at all over the silting up issue and the fact that the cockie had diverted the Koporiki stream. Beware of quicksand, I used to come across it, more on the true left downstream
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

so you.l be ok hopefuly bonecrusher??

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    so you.l be ok hopefuly bonecrusher??
    Looks like I have diverted the Titanic I will be up at the Lake again on Sunday so hopefully water levels are back to normal.

Just by engaging Nova in dialogue and more important putting in an official complaint they have had to respond. I emailed photo's from previous years as reference and evidence.

So now F & G and EBOP are monitoring the situation

Good on you Bonecrusher for getting stuck into them!
    Seems a little late though as it will take time for the duck to come back.
    Nova should have really had this at it normal leavel for the last month!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Looks like I have diverted the Titanic I will be up at the Lake again on Sunday so hopefully water levels are back to normal.

Just by engaging Nova in dialogue and more important putting in an official complaint they have had to respond. I emailed photo's from previous years as reference and evidence.

So now F & G and EBOP are monitoring the situation
    sweet glad the buggers arent gonna ruin your opening.

Just back from the Lake water levels back to normal fantastic number of birds feeding, wasp nest was 100% kill So maimai all brushed up looking good for next Saturday
    Bryan and gsp follower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Just back from the Lake water levels back to normal fantastic number of birds feeding, wasp nest was 100% kill So maimai all brushed up looking good for next Saturday