Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Waterfowl ammo?

Waterfowl ammo?

hi guys, similar thread to 'upland ammo' what are you shooting ducks with next month?.......thought i'd pick your brains......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Poison I used last season, Eley is no longer on the menu and I have obtained some more Remington Nitro Steel - Speed is good. The jury is still out on the winchester xpert I didn't really feel that it performed as well as my remington hi speed
    more specifically the 1400fps ammo

Ejected
    Fioccoli HP 30 gram in the 20ga, size 4 modified choke.

GB 36grm #3 lead cause its cheap and all the shop has besides Winchester but it cost more. Then 3inch GB steel #2 38grm.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Gamebore super steel, 2 3/4 inch,32g #3s

ihad good cresultwith eley alphamax3"steel.Im using a mix of steel 3"&2 3/4 all out of my ammo store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post

Poison I used last season, Eley is no longer on the menu and I have obtained some more Remington Nitro Steel - Speed is good. The jury is still out on the winchester xpert I didn't really feel that it performed as well as my remington hi speed
    more specifically the 1400fps ammo
    Is that Eley the filthiest shit you ve used and smelt in your life or what... The whole mai mai stunk of the shit ..... Man my Berretta semi was bleeding black blood....

Actually since the advent of steel shot there really is only one answer to this question : All shotguns will pattern differently to one another. One mans ammo that allowed him good clean kills
    will wing the shit out of ducks when used in another gun. Proved this in over the last few seasons with Mossberg Pump ,Mossberg Semi, Berretta Extrema and Remington Semi plus a couple of others O+U etc
    If you wish to succeed with steel you really need to check several brands , shots sizes etc etc. Get your mates togeather and buy coupla different boxes each and get a roll of newsprint paper.
    We shot at 20 and 40 mtrs. Take your shot retrieve your page write down which ammo next persons turn etc. At the end lay them down forget everybody else and analyse your own to determine your finalists then
    retry.

Plenty articles on the web such as How to Pattern a Shotgun. This worjked awsomely for us and our hit - kill rates doubled and trebled instantly.

Now fuc the gun shops cos my winner is no longer available so about to repeat the process next week or two. Buying the odd box now to trial. At least if no good its still there for other stuff rabbits etc.

And of course since when can you have too much ammo....
    Scouser likes this.

yeash it is grubby ,that i must admit ,but the important part is it effectively anchors whatever it hits and sometimes quiet spectacularly.another ive had good results with is english Hull brand ammo (solway 3"magnum34gm steel " from Barry Fosters stihl shop in blenheim rd chch.
    Barry imports this plus trap ammo and overall does great deals.Iuse his trap ammo exclusively in both my guns.

Me and 30calterry did the work Sunday tried about 8 different boxes on paper at 30 mtrs The winner for both even tho a Beretta and a Rem semi was Clever no 3 shot in 3 inch 36 gram loads by a mile followed by the same in number 2 then for me some Rio then Rem hypersonic Guess what the clever Mirage ex Reloaders burns clean as well as being best pattern and it's $14 bucks a box so wicked price as well as working for us Slabs on the way as its nearly half what we previously paid. I reckon we re sorted ... Still have not a drop of water in the opening day pond tho so bring on the rain or we re in the shit !!!

Big thanks guys, Happy, i will try out the 'paper test' thing on different shells.....its all good, not long now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I use federal 3.5 inch in BB for ducks with full kicks choke,
    Smack em out wide and hi... Love it

Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    I use federal 3.5 inch in BB for ducks with full kicks choke,
    Smack em out wide and hi... Love it

What about when they are close? Has any body else heard of/ used GB?

Name:  423602_361990273811566_110129610_n.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by Toby; 11-04-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: adding bit about gb
    VIVA LA HOWA

When close in my mate shoots em with the modified choke in 3 inch #2'
    Team effort,and produces more.

The stuff GSP follower got for me, only used five rounds last season. Thinks I'll just use what I didn't use last year.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!