Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Whats your solutions to the duck decline?

Whats your solutions to the duck decline?

As we've been bagged in Southland for our approach I'm interested in what you guys think is the answer? I won't be replying in here, just viewing for the hope of some new found knowledge

Ban sub gauge lead! Oh wait, thats your idea. Pure genius

I reckon its being forced to use steel I noticed I wound more on the river compared to in the paddocks with lead. Then theres people that shoot waaaay over there limit.
    Baz and mucko like this.

Need to protect ducks in the off season, how many die from diseased waterways, shit ponds etc? And also pukes kill a lot of chicks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Does the decline in numbers in Southland match the increase in dairy production and if so then that's what needs to be looked at.
    Wirehunt and Pointer like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Ban steel. Shoot hawks. Reduce limits. Shorter season.
    Agreed and add Pukes to the list all year round for a while or take them off the GB list and make them a pest.

All the 3 Shot limit type stuff is just window dressing just like what the govt generally , its not about actually doing anything useful (most of the time) , its just about looking like you are "doing something".

Also to actually encourage habitat enhancement and god forbid restocking/breeding.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    It's rocket science this. Habitat disappearing fast, dirty rivers. Major grain feed area's gone down south.

Out of interest, how long has the lead ban been in place for 12 gauge and what would be an average age for a mallard? If the lead was causing the earlier demise of mallards should they have had enough time to get the lead out of their systems (ie a generation or two with 95% lead reduction)? If this is the case and the numbers are still not increasing then that points to something other than lead shot being the issue and research needed to find out what are the real issues.
    Wirehunt, falconhell and Fitzy like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

institute imediate water quality monitoring for all know an suspected sourses of water way pollution including local govenment sourses and other business besides farmers. protect water quality and quantity at all levels including source therfore isolating polluters and excessive overtake for irrigation.cover and treat shit ponds where birds congregate and the outbreaks of desease seem the most obvious.take the savings from goose control and immediatly begin comprehensive and multi region duck research.
    in lake ellesmeres case find a better way to open it in times of flood and when it needs a good flush out. the present system is mickey mouse and expensive maybe the canal to forsyth which would allow constant sea water flushing.also bring back the grazing to the areas it was stopped there. it cleaned up all the rank overgrown areas an kept the fire risk down as well as keeping a fresh constant supply of good pick for all waterfowl.in short give more control of a waterfowl area to f&G because doc dont give a monkeys
    As we've been bagged in Southland for our approach I'm interested in what you guys think is the answer?
    lets be clear mike i applaud your quick moves on mallard research i do not applaud you guys ignoring the very people that put you there or thier submissions and opinions. if you had the environments, habitats and waterfowls interest at heart then why repeat,albeit on a smaller scale ,a ban that in 10 years has not proved to increase waterfowl numbers or save habitat or the environment.especially when proven larger pollution sources get the government to legislate away thier messes
    Last edited by gsp follower; 23-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Stop shooting them?

loss of habitat (food and home).

Anyone watching tv one?
    Catch and eat eels to save ducks

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

actually with less shooters due to lead ban &more political machinations in fact the mallard population may well have exploded eating out house &home.hence nature dictates the weakest perish.here in shakey city and out at ellesmere it seems alls dandy ,plenty of tucker f...er,and cruisin.
    same further south when camoed upin a paddock the other night had mobs of mallards cruise around us yahooing like boy racers bfore droppin in for a kai out of range!the canadas who did the same thing except stood eyeing us were in common language"extremely f..d off".lets face it any gamebird loves visiting the avian =of maccas ;a cockys crop paddock.
    Its also interesting that in the past 2yrs since nature the old bitch decided to hula,that metrosexual mallards are increasing faster than adolescent acne.
    ihave 8 who fly over my place at least twice daily mocking me.
    yup saw five under me oak tree 2weeks ago -daughters cats attempted the obvious but apologies to gareth morgan,
    a miss was as good as a mile. one old hen actualy chrged the bloody cats -the audacity of it!!
    in short ;if humans attempt to control ma nature a F..up is as sure as christ made little apples.
    actually camm youd be right there too,my late father often commented on the bloody black brutes who naIeld ducklings and wounded birds.plus theres nowt like a nice wee smoked eel!
    EeeBees likes this.

if humans attempt to control ma nature a F..up is as sure as christ made little apples.

Yup

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    I think tussock summed it quite well with his comments about dairying... i wouldnt live very well in poo either!!!!

Lets be honest it hasnt done our trout fisherys any good either!!!!
    kiwijames and R93 like this.