Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By southernman

Thread: 2 Questions: McKenzie Country and A New Reel

2 Questions: McKenzie Country and A New Reel

1: Tell me about fishing the Twizel/Tekapo canals. What lure for Salmon there, etc. Spinning

2: My reel is broken. If I buy a new reel, I want to get something real nice that will not break ever - all machined stainless parts or something. Suggestions? My rod is a crappy 2 piece trout spinning rod, maybe about 6 foot, I want it for spinning for trout etc and kahawai

I used the fly rod, the only time I have fished the Canals, so cant give spinning advise,
    But for the reel, I would look at something like a Shimano, 4000, baitrunner OC, twinpower, sustain, thunnus etc, for trout and Kahawai.
    However if there is, a likely hood of Salmon, or kingfish in the rivers, you are fishing, perhaps move up to the next size reel, 5000, or 6000, just a bit more capacity, and muscle for bigger fish. I don't think its necessary for the canals, as you can run along the banks easy enough.
    High end Diawa, and Shimano reel are a real joy, and last a very long time, if looked after, and parts can be sourced for repairs, I have a couple Mitchell reels, that have lasted on trout rods for 30 years, still smooth as silk,
    Might be wise to look at a package deal, as often they are the same price, as the reel is alone, and will be a balanced outfit.
    For what I think you are doing, mostly estuary, and odd trip elsewhere, I use a seven foot soft baiting setup. (4000 twin power or OC 4000 baitrunner on 6-7ft rod) or a Baitcaster (overhead reel) on a salmon rod, Calcutta 400 and 9ft rod.
    Nothing like the sing of a reel, the pulse of a good fish, on a early misty westcoast morning,
    Last edited by southernman; 06-01-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    kiwijames likes this.

Yep, a 4000 reel in perfect. In the canals using something that can flick a light soft bait is key. Softbait is the lure of choice for all the fishing types i know.
    Using some strong suffix 832 braid from HUnting and fishing will give you a light, small diameter line that is incredibly strong.
    Shimano stradic or something along those lines is a nice hight quality reel that shouldnt give you any issues.
    Check out the complete angler on youtube. He love fishing with some real light gear down there.

Stradic is a great mid range reel, either 4000 or 5000 would be the bizo.
    SHIMANO Stradic FK - Overview | Spinning Reels | Shimano Fishing NZ