Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: advise needed on trout fishing lake Taupo

advise needed on trout fishing lake Taupo

Good day,

As a few of you know I'm new to New Zealand just moved from Canada. I have some time off and after Christmas my wife the kids and I wish to do a overnight hike on MT Taranaki and stay in a hut 1 night. Any advise on this? Do i need to book the hut?

After the hike we were hoping to head up to lake Taupo and spend 2-3 days fishing and hanging out maybe some short hiking as well. I would like to rent a cabin if its affordable. We don't have a boat so would be interested in a good spot for shore casting. doesn't need to be on lake Taupo itself but in the surrounding area?

Also we would head back to Palmy via Napier is there anything thats a must see along this route ?

Any and all advise is much appreciated

Neil

There's no trout in Taupoyou need a seperate licence for Taupo. Go to the little fishing shop at the lake end of the Main Street, across from the large trout sculpture, he will sort you with what you need and good advice. Fishing from the shore unless fly fishing at the river mouth, spinning not permitted in these areas! Read your licence, is usually not productive. When are you there?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    There's no trout in Taupoyou need a seperate licence for Taupo. Go to the little fishing shop at the lake end of the Main Street, across from the large trout sculpture, he will sort you with what you need and good advice. Fishing from the shore unless fly fishing at the river mouth, spinning not permitted in these areas! Read your licence, is usually not productive. When are you there?
    Thanks, I realize i need the trout licence, Ok so if not Taupo itself is there other spots that way a guy can spin cast? don't have a fly rod? how about Lake Rotoaira ?

This would happen likely mid week next week.

Neil

Stay away from the deep water, when your strike rocks or reef thats where the Trout will be.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Stay away from the deep water, when your strike rocks or reef thats where the Trout will be.
    You use spinners or flys on a weight bobber?

You can sin ok just not within 200 metres of a stream or river mouth. Try around the bay's as you come north around the lake towards Taupo.
    CANKIWI likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Trout fishing in Taupo can be good at change of light, or I catch most of mine at around 10 am and 3 pm believe it or not,
    CANKIWI likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Trout fishing in Taupo can be good at change of light, or I catch most of mine at around 10 am and 3 pm believe it or not,
    Which side of the lake do you reckon would be the best?

State highway 1 has the only easy access, good fishing around the southern end as well, can't really access off the Western Acess Rd, I'll be at Kinloch at the northern end of the lake 20 mins out nth from Taupo
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

CANKIWI that only because he can't get out of bed early and he gets on the piss at 3.30pm

I spent a lifetime on Taupo and had a charter fishing operation there for a few years. Ph me on 027 28 555 63 if you want to have a yarn. Fly fishing can be great. Very early at dawn is best, (sparrowfart) and as maca49 says, at change of light in the evening, and on into late hours of darkness. Line weight and flys depend on where you fish. Spinning gear is only permitted when 300 metres away from any stream mouth and generally not permitted in any stream flowing into L Taupo. Get yourself a marine chart of Taupo lake and study the drop off margins and where they come closest to the lake shore and where adjoining rock outcrops are and within casting range. Small flys and lures are better than large. Andy or Mike at Taupo Fly and Gun can give you very good advice . Both are anglers of international repute.

If your in the area, L Otamangakau can be vey exciting fishing. Rotoaira is a private Maori owned lake; so not sure about restrictions there.

@CANKIWI if you are going to stay around it is worth getting a fly rod and maybe some lessons. My preference anyway. Spent a few years with spinners but it's generally not as productive (or fun) as fly fishing.
    have a look at some fishing reports also:
    Fishing Report | Sporting Life

Wish I was going fishing but I have a retaining wall to build

If you go thru Dannevirke hit me up could take you spin fishing on the upper Manawatu River.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    If you go thru Dannevirke hit me up could take you spin fishing on the upper Manawatu River.
    Thanks bro, i have herd that fishing the Manawatu after the city is not advised!

2mile bay boat ramp early in the morning or at night can be good for a spin fish

wharewaka point, the northern side,water drops of real deep,allways fishermen there in a southerly or s-westerly i see fish landed often.live there walk my dog there every day.