Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5403Likes

Thread: Catch Any Trout Today?

Weather been a bit rough last few days, checked river around midday was murky and fast flowing. Was going to stay home this evening and mow the lawns..yea right f@$k that. Tried the new Mepps ThunderbugLanded a couple of nice rainbows
    Yeah I'll mow the lawns tomorrow😜

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    P38, Tahr and Sean like this.

If you guys that fish the upper Manawatu had to use just one spinny thing, what would it be? Rainbows and browns.

I don't fish there but I'm gonna say Black and Gold Toby, if you can't catch trout anywhere in NZ on one of them you're doing something wrong.

PS: I can't catch trout on a black and gold toby..
    bomber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you guys that fish the upper Manawatu had to use just one spinny thing, what would it be? Rainbows and browns.
    yep they work well

Mepps Black Fury @Tahr

P38 and kiwijames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    Mepps Black Fury @Tahr

Ta. I'm just getting back into it. Used to fish Oringi quite a bit. With the Hutt river close to me now I thought I might as well give it a crack.
    Dundee and bomber like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Black Magic Spinsect @bomber @Dundee. You guys ever try one of these? If you haven't I would suggest they are well worth a go. Good action and quite heavy so you can cast them a decent distance. Bought one for my girls to try and it has been every bit as sucessful as a Veltec or Mepps but more time in the water via greater casting distances has equalled more hook ups.
    puku, P38 and bomber like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Black Magic Spinsect @bomber @Dundee. You guys ever try one of these? If you haven't I would suggest they are well worth a go. Good action and quite heavy so you can cast them a decent distance. Bought one for my girls to try and it has been every bit as sucessful as a Veltec or Mepps but more time in the water via greater casting distances has equalled more hook ups.
    I quite like the action of it on that youtube video. I might have to find some top have a go.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

@kiwijames I've got a couple spinsects in the lure box. Landed a couple with them, hence used a Mepps Thunderbug as river up and a lot wider casts a bit further to the clear edges on opposite banks.
    Some evenings change a few lures, most success here black fury then a red veltic.
    Must get up to Hunting/fishing Napier again they have an awesome lure selection🖒

Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    @kiwijames I've got a couple spinsects in the lure box. Landed a couple with them, hence used a Mepps Thunderbug as river up and a lot wider casts a bit further to the clear edges on opposite banks.
    Some evenings change a few lures, most success here black fury then a red veltic.
    Must get up to Hunting/fishing Napier again they have an awesome lure selection��

@bomber. If you're in need Im not far the road from HnF and can grab something.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    7gram Green and gold Toby
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    7gram Green and gold Toby
    I'd have to be honest only caught 1 fish on a toby

Sean likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    @bomber. If you're in need Im not far the road from HnF and can grab something.
    Cheers hoping to get up that way for a days fishing in a week or 2 Mohaka or somewhere

@Tahr blackfury is one of my favourites. There is a guy called Andrew Harding that fishes the Hutt river and has put some vids on you tube. Is utube channel name is troutboynz.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Landed two put the first one out of its misery had scars right into the gutz.
    Attachment 58479
    This trout had been in the wars ..otherside
    Attachment 58480
    One keeper nice brown
    Attachment 58481
    @Dundee, do you think those holes are from a spear or possibly a shag?