Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: DIY kontiki info

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    yea that's cool sounds like a lot of tangles to me but good luck to you also by having a separate trace line I assume that will mean your main line is on top of the water?
    Yes the tow line will be on the surface. The bait line will be wound on a separate cassette reel that will plug into the centre of the kontiki. At the appropriate time the reel will be released (via a car central locking motor) and drop as the kontiki continues to motor. As the kontiki is retrieved the bait line (and fish all going well) will follow. This way the baits are not dragged out, less likelihood of tow line being bitten off and there will be no tangle.

Electrically/electronically quite easy to do. A five minute swap out in future to change to a steered system with GPS when I get that far.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

sweet but if a boat crosses your line shes all over rover
    P38 and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    sweet but if a boat crosses your line shes all over rover
    And i'd say more chance of that than a shark getting the main line.

Not many boats about out there but apparently a hell of a lot of sharks. Also a steep and stony beach. I like the idea of efficiency and removing what risks are practicable.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've seen Torpedo's get run over by boats ,but suspect the main line unless has floats attached will be below prop level of most boats .
    gadgetman likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've seen Torpedo's get run over by boats ,but suspect the main line unless has floats attached will be below prop level of most boats .
    I like the sound of that.

If you use a mobility scooter motor for your reel, get the controller as well, battery draw is always a prob.also pressure build up on the winch drum can cause it to "explode"
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Most mobility scooter and wheel chair motors will run 12 and 24 volt. I have a 2 way switch and run it on 24v volt until the traces start coming up the beach then flick it to 12v. if avoidable you never want the main line to go slack hence the use of 12v for the short amount of time. the most common mobility scooter motor has a large plastic gear in them, while the motor is still good I would recommend taking it out and getting a new one water jet cut and it will handle much more strain. I was using 2x motor bike batteries to run winch and could do a whole day out of the pair now to save on carting so many batteries I use the spent ones from kontiki and have a back up from some 7.5 amp hour batteries the alarm companies normally give away.

6mm mono has a breaking strain over 900kilos,your trace will break well before sharks are a concern.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    6mm mono has a breaking strain over 900kilos,your trace will break well before sharks are a concern.
    The mono is quite soft and their teeth are quite hard and sharp with some pressure behind them.

6mm would be a bit overkill size wise too.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    With motor power you don't have to rely on the wind from any particular direction. When was the last time you saw a sailing ship plying the freight trade? And I don't recall you yelling any commands to the donkey you were working with in your work video clip.
    My dump truck gets cussed out on a regular basis I just kept it clean for that video
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

old mans long line had 1m long traces that you cliped on , never had trouble with main line getting taken

I use 30 or 40lb mono for my traces,theory is if they get snagged the trace breaks.Sharks ,rays & cudda; aren't a problem either they just bust the trace & go no issues . They just the shit you really don't want to catch any way .
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I use 30 or 40lb mono for my traces,theory is if they get snagged the trace breaks.Sharks ,rays & cudda; aren't a problem either they just bust the trace & go no issues . They just the shit you really don't want to catch any way .
    I only take home 30lb+ fish chris so wont work for me
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    I only take home 30lb+ fish chris so wont work for me
    Do you dig them into the garden?
    Gapped axe likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.