Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Eels

Nelson Lakes is a national park eels are protected in national parks.
    Love smoked eels and a chilly bin of them each year guarantee's me access to a bit of coast up north and use of the bach
    Mate of mine recons that marmite is the best bait in the nets (not vegemite he's tried) haven't tested the theory yet.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Thats a good eel kimjon. Did you shoot that wallaby up Rotorua way in your avatar?
    Hi Dundee - that's no wallaby, its a giant rat!

I had seen him coming out from under an Oak tree on the front lawn. No one would believe me when I tried to explain to them just how big it was, I just got laughed at. So I patiently waited in ambush (well I watched TV and occasionally looked out the window haha) waiting for him to come out into the open again. It took several weeks and a couple missed attempts to finally nail him with my bow!

I consider it one of my greatest hunts...

kj
    bully and Dougie like this.

jeezes have you got a big pic we can see I'm sure Bushrat will love that one

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Nelson Lakes is a national park eels are protected in national parks.
    Love smoked eels and a chilly bin of them each year guarantee's me access to a bit of coast up north and use of the bach
    Mate of mine recons that marmite is the best bait in the nets (not vegemite he's tried) haven't tested the theory yet.
    Thanks for shedding some light on that barefoot
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sorry for the hijack on this thread.

I got two of them that day with the bow, the one on the left is a large rat and the other one is just plain massive! Both were doing very well feeding on acorns.

kj
    Dougie, Dynastar27 and Micky Duck like this.

No need too apoligize thats bloody impressive

Yep Bushrat is impressed.......!!!!
    Note to myself.....Keep away from Kimjon and Dundee!!!
    Dundee likes this.

Few old pics

Dynastar27 likes this.

Jeeeeeezus.........you're definitely Dundee alright!
    How big was that last eel?

Thats a baby Bushrat can't upload tonight be drunk in charge of the pc

There is a pic of my granddad in the late 1970's holding up an eel on the farm. The eel's head was at grandads head height and the tail was touching the ground making it about 5' 3" maybe more.
    I've seen thicker and heavier eels over the years in lakes etc, but never longer.
    Dundee likes this.

You're a brave man Dundee, I hate touching those things (eels) until i know that they are well dead!

I may have even let out a little scream in the past when one touched my leg as I wadded across a river?

kj
    Dougie and madmaori like this.

KJ - sweet rat slaying there mate, that cracked me up!!

Dundee that looks grossssssss as, mate! Blechhh! Don't they bite? And is the pup in the pic Jess or Bolt??

Bushrat - Dundee makes the eel look bigger than it is; he's actually made an appearance on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on TV last night, I hope you spotted him
    Micky Duck likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

This one was 16kg or about 35lb

This is Possom Trappers heaviest at 8.15lb

That was a fews years back now.

Yeah the buggers bite alright.

That pup was Bolt Dougie.
    Life must be tough having too watch Charlie and the chocolate factory

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    KJ - sweet rat slaying there mate, that cracked me up!!

Dundee that looks grossssssss as, mate! Blechhh! Don't they bite? And is the pup in the pic Jess or Bolt??

Bushrat - Dundee makes the eel look bigger than it is; he's actually made an appearance on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on TV last night, I hope you spotted him
    Dougie.....Can't say I watched that on tv last night....(must be showing my age....I did watch Coronation Street!)
    Have to agree with you........Eels are blechhhh!! I'd rather be down the gully wrestling a big old boar than in the river with one of those things!!!!

I can remember a few years back, pig-hunting down a river.....the dogs had just scragged a goat so they got a thrashing for that.......then a little while later I hear this goat start screaming its lungs out again........bloody dog I'm thinkin' to myself......and am all set to go give the dog another wallop......then I realise that all dogs are accounted for....!
    So I go hooning back down to the creek to see what the hell's going on. This big old billy goat (with previous dog scragg marks) is sitting on the edge of the stream, screaming his lungs out, and when I have a closer look I see these two bloody big eels attached to its back-end scraggin' the snot out of this poor bloody goat. One's doing the crocodile roll and all sorts to remove a big chunk of this goat....!
    My god they were evil looking things........big beady eyes staring at me.........!!! Well I can't remember if I pulled the goat outta the water or not. I do remember there was no way in a zillion years I was jumping in the creek with those two bloody eels. (They woulda finished this bushrat off in one gulp)

Dundee....you're a legend mate!!!
    But you can keep your stinkin' horrible slimy eels!!!!