Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 6 Post By deadidick

Thread: finding groper etc?

finding groper etc?

so i am armed with a new fish finder, and weather permitting i will be hitting the water later this week to go have some long needed fun and catch a feed of fish.
    now i am wanting to try targeting some deep water fish like groper but dont really know what to look for to find them, do i go to the drop offs on the charts and cruise along them looking for fish sign? do i look for pinnicles or holes? there are alot of groper caught off our coast so i know they are there just need to know where to start.

cheers

First move is get a nice big laminated bathometric chart of where you fish. Then study the shit out of it. I look for deep pinicles, anything coming up to around the 150-300m mark. Thats out from Tauranga so would depend on where you are. Think you get puka in 20m in some parts

use the low frequency,
    If its a furuno wind up the "Pre gain" in the initial settings and then try adusting the tvg.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    First move is get a nice big laminated bathometric chart of where you fish. Then study the shit out of it. I look for deep pinicles, anything coming up to around the 150-300m mark. Thats out from Tauranga so would depend on where you are. Think you get puka in 20m in some parts
    ill be off the wairarapa coast, for some reason our charts are basic as hell and cant find any really detailed bathy charts? from i can get tho i have studied the shit out of it, weve got a shelf/trench that comes in real close and drops from about 60-70 to about 160 for a bit, then from than to about 600 meters +. also some reefs of about 20m with deep drop offs on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    use the low frequency,
    If its a furuno wind up the "Pre gain" in the initial settings and then try adusting the tvg.
    ok cool, low being 50hz eh? i got that furuno gp1870 so i hope thatll do the trick. so should i crusie along the drop offs looking? i know itll take a bit of time to find some possies but id rather do the yards now before my holidays over xmas

Theres only one thing left to do then

use the low frequency,
    If its a furuno, Take it off Auto and wind up the "Pre gain" in the initial settings and then try adusting the tvg, medium is a good place to start. And use the gain control.
    Use set the range to 50 (I set mine to 20m) and the "shift function to move the display down to the bottom. You should end up only seeing the bottom 50m spread over the while screen.

so if you are in 200m water, set your range to 50 and shift to 160 and you will be seeing the bottom and 50m up from it.
    Grouper usually show up as holding close to bottom on the downwind side of the pinnicle
    veitnamcam likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Oh and exactly what area? I'll have a chat so some of my customers

Down wind side love it

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Oh and exactly what area? I'll have a chat so some of my customers
    wairarapa, the honeycomb rock area.

Name:  Bluenose .JPG
Views: 445
Size:  172.1 KBFishin going off in Northland, a couple of weeks ago during the big low over the country. first drop to 400m didn't even hit the bottom. Yea boy!
    veitnamcam, JoshC, Toby and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidick View Post
    Attachment 30595Fishin going off in Northland, a couple of weeks ago during the big low over the country. first drop to 400m didn't even hit the bottom. Yea boy!
    fuck yeah mate thats what im talking about. weather has been nothing but shit down here for months, but the good weathers coming im sure, and there should be plenty of those around for the picking!!