Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Fishing moeraki

Fishing moeraki

Is there anybody on here that fishes at moeraki often?
    I've done a couple of charters there and got a good feed of blue cod.
    But charters ate only any good if you have enough to fill the boat.
    Now my freezer is empty of blue cod and am looking at options of getting some more.

So, if there was someone that goes there. Has room on their boat and is willing to take us out to catch some fish.
    We can help pay for fuel and supply some beer for your troubles.

P.S. Both have rods and gear
    (I have a boat but think it's too small and under powered)

Kyle
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

hey mate, i was also looking at going fishing here at some stage in the very near future. iv got my own boat that'll take 4-5 people and some of the guys i work with fish there alot so ill try and tap into some of their knowledge. was even looking at heading out in the next week or 2 for a look

Oh yip. As far as I know fishing in late winter is good for blue cod.
    Where avoid in canty are you?

Also it seems that either not many fish there. Or they are very quite types

Been there once in mine, went something like - ramp, out, turn south, 700m ( maybe, but not far) x 400-500 off shore, lines in, 1 hour limit, ramp, home, beer. Certainly dont need big boat or to go far. Using sounder though, drifting and certainly remember changing/motoring back to drift start postion.
    Was about 2 years ago though, cant remember time of year. Wasnt to cold so must have been between 1300hrs dec 21 and 1700hrs mar 28.

Using a mix of flashers with a bit of bait and ledgers with pillies and squid.

Good spot though, and will be back soon. In fact any fishing soon will be good......
    Munsey likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Oh right that doesn't sound too bad @Beaker.
    Always thought you had to go out further.
    I'm guessing they were good size fish?
    Been to some spots that produced good numbers of small cod.

It was more luck than anything I think. Just cruised along, having a look at the sounder. Had a couple of kids on board and they weren't keen on going far, but wanted to fish, so just gave it a go.
    A few small ones, but good a good amount of decent sized ones. From memory they were either really small of decent, nothing in the middle.

Also some mates got wet and grabbed some paua from the shore. One of them (a good free diver) set himself the challenge of getting legal limit on one breath - and did it. They weren't in the water long!

I guess its the old saying about fish your feet first.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Oh yip. As far as I know fishing in late winter is good for blue cod.
    Where avoid in canty are you?
    Im in ashburton, dont mind traveling if the fishings good. I see on the chart there's a bit of a drop off 20km or so out do you know I'd they get groper or anything like that out there?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes they were getting groper in 100m of water North of moeraki in jan this year. I thought they would be deeper.
    We were catching cod in 30m most of the time

Cool thatl be worth a look later on then. Ill see what the guys from work say about it.

puku likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Can and have caught Bluies from the shore twixt Moeraki and the lighthouse, barracuda as well. Hard on gear off the shore bottom fishing, very rocky.
    Bluies and several other varieties off shore on a couple of social charters.
    Definitely groper out there, never caught any personally but have not tried know stack of people who have though, not much of a fisher person myself these days, not that I don' t like it, just always seems something else on and if fishing is on the agenda the waitaki river is closer to me..Dumb really with all that on the doorstep.
    Am local to Oamaru and would be happy to join up and go with a couple of forum members, meet and greet and to have a day out help with fuel and what else .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

glad i found this thread. I just moved to timaru and looking for like minded guys to get out with. headed for a 20km round trip on sunday for a tahr but would love to get out fishing. lets sort out something. would be good to meet some of you.
    puku and Beaker like this.

@puku sounds like you might have enough people to form a charter to refill the freezer!

I could be keen on that, timing etc. dependant, and on dependants.....

Shit yea that's sounding pretty good. If someone with some local knowledge would be keen to take a boat. We could possibly take two loads. That would be cheaper than a charter, wouldn't it?
    That is if everyone has some gear. I have a rod and some tackle. But lack knowledge of how to use fish finder etc

Yeah i would think itd be cheaper. More freedom then a charter too can cruise around, go diving etc. Iv got a good sounder and charts etc so if the fish are there well get em.

puku likes this.