Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The internet put me crook

If you tie your float line to the lead line at regular intervals (2 metres) most of the weed will pass over it. Tie the ends of the net to form a cod-end so that the fish all fall to the cod when retrieving...you will catch bigger flat fish this way.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ha ha yes, But when its on a net makers helpful hints page thought there may be something in it.

Is summer the best for flounder up your way @Scribe ?
    hahahaha

That helpful hint was probably designed to boost flounder net sales during summer.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam likes this.

sturg4
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  632.1 KBName:  004.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  648.2 KB

Under a grey sky, from out of a sea as still as a lake they came.

Beautiful big fish from the food basket just out the window this morning.

Last photo is of a trophy flounder at least a 12 pointer in fish terms.
    Last edited by Scribe; 13-12-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    veitnamcam, sakokid, Toby and 2 others like this.

Love the small'ish pan sized ones, covered in flour, fried in butter/ oil mix, and eatten of the bone....
    Childhood memories aside, great eatting and i think one of the best fish ( yes, some might disagree...)

Oh john dory in tempera might be close second....
    Blue cod steamed in parcels with lots of chilli and butter.....
    Raw salmon with soy sauce and wasabi....
    Tuna same......
    Scallops same.....
    Crayfish boiled until just orange....

Maybe just fish in general is good. But flats are certainly 1-2

Well just had a chat to two guys who live right next to the water where I launch.
    So at least 60 years floundering experience in the area and told them what i told you guys.
    They burst out laughing and asked how many stingrays i caught. Well actually i just caught a shit load on my long line cos it was a bit rough to take my son out in open water.

Apparently setting a net in that estuary for flounder over summer results in shit loads of weed and stingrays and no flounder.
    @Scribe those ten pointer flounder are the norm here over winter.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Well just had a chat to two guys who live right next to the water where I launch.
    So at least 60 years floundering experience in the area and told them what i told you guys.
    They burst out laughing and asked how many stingrays i caught. Well actually i just caught a shit load on my long line cos it was a bit rough to take my son out in open water.

Apparently setting a net in that estuary for flounder over summer results in shit loads of weed and stingrays and no flounder.
    @Scribe those ten pointer flounder are the norm here over winter.
    Yeah that fish I was holding was a good one for the Firth.

Memories of summer are weed, stingrays, sharks and flounder all mixed together. The odd 2m thresher with its bloody long tail takes a bit of getting out of the net. Sometimes they go straight through it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Work mate waded out and set a net at low out the front and got 7 nice rig this morning.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Love the small'ish pan sized ones, covered in flour, fried in butter/ oil mix, and eatten of the bone....
    Childhood memories aside, great eatting and i think one of the best fish ( yes, some might disagree...)

Oh john dory in tempera might be close second....
    Blue cod steamed in parcels with lots of chilli and butter.....
    Raw salmon with soy sauce and wasabi....
    Tuna same......
    Scallops same.....
    Crayfish boiled until just orange....

Maybe just fish in general is good. But flats are certainly 1-2
    What general area do you live in 'Beaker' You have some great sounding methods of cooking fish.

The John Dory in tempera batter I have never tried. I must look it up as we eat quite a lot of John Dory here.

Always ready for a flounder meal after the weather has stopped us getting out for awhile.

A very clever old ex commercial fisherman sat out in the bay yesterday for a couple of hours and caught his limit of snapper.
    If Ken is out fishing its a good day for fishing. Its a rare day that he doesn't catch his limit.

Says he cant afford the petrol to drive to our beach unless he and his wife can catch their weeks groceries. He sets his net for flounder, takes his limit of snapper and picks a bucket of booboos, mussels and other assorted creatures that cant outrun them both.

South canty now. Grew up on the west coast(fishing family, hence crayfish, flounder, tuna, crabs were all norms, pre live export crays so lots of legs)

So now salmon and blue cod mainly.

The best dory i have had was in sydney, and i've tried a few times with brought ones to replicate and still havent got there yet( close though).

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    What general area do you live in 'Beaker' You have some great sounding methods of cooking fish.

The John Dory in tempera batter I have never tried. I must look it up as we eat quite a lot of John Dory here.

Always ready for a flounder meal after the weather has stopped us getting out for awhile.

A very clever old ex commercial fisherman sat out in the bay yesterday for a couple of hours and caught his limit of snapper.
    If Ken is out fishing its a good day for fishing. Its a rare day that he doesn't catch his limit.

Says he cant afford the petrol to drive to our beach unless he and his wife can catch their weeks groceries. He sets his net for flounder, takes his limit of snapper and picks a bucket of booboos, mussels and other assorted creatures that cant outrun them both.