Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lip grippers

Thanks again @Pengy.
    Well I believe they are the business, for cod they took a bit of getting used to but once we got used to the idea we were away, we squashed our barbs down, lip gripped the cod rolled the hook out and released them back into the tide, no handling at all, the were also good for spikies , stand on tail lip grip the bugger roll the hook out and over the side .. Though the spikies still twisted around trying to get you with their tail spike and one larger one broke loose of the grippers.

I believe they certainly have a place in the cod fishery , no handling of undersized cod is certainly going to increase the chances of survival. I don't by any means think they are a silver bullet but I do believe they will help.
    Nil durum volenti !!

I use a body gripper for couta's Practised it a lot over the weekend and have the technique down pat. Its designed a lot like a gaff really and I find a knife gets them off it quite well too
    stingray likes this.

Hahaha, yeah when I reached in with the lip grippers and the triple teeth were going side to side I reached for the grippers labeled gaff!! Some fish just aren't operator freindly.
    Gibo likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Dad has a welcoming stick for cuda, its about the lenght of a trunchon but of manuka with one end wrapped in lead for added effect.
    stingray, mikee, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

We did have a big kitchen knife blade mounted on the end of a small ali oar on the old boat i dont like killing for the sake of it but they really piss me off. I heard if you tie a bit of chippy packet to their tail the others will chase it for ages taking them away from your area. Not sure but im not going to dilibrately litter to test it either
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    We did have a big kitchen knife blade mounted on the end of a small ali oar on the old boat i dont like killing for the sake of it but they really piss me off. I heard if you tie a bit of chippy packet to their tail the others will chase it for ages taking them away from your area. Not sure but im not going to dilibrately litter to test it either
    I dont loose too much gear to them and they are good bait... I think the key is to winch the buggers in as fast as possible and straight in the boat.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I dont loose too much gear to them and they are good bait... I think the key is to winch the buggers in as fast as possible and straight in the boat.
    We would sometimes be on the drop and loose it all, sometimes just hooks, sometimes just sinker, sometimes swivel. They come in waves of teeth ha ha
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.