Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Recon this will work?

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    looks mint mate worst case you may need to up grade to a proper wind sail to get enough wind power.
    Ideas on how to integrate this into this design? thought of making basically a picture frame the same size of light wood and stapling some plastic sheet to it but didnt have any light wood so went with the ply option.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Boulder Bank, might not be the best place. Snag City
    Yea na thats were it will end up if I lose it from Rabbit! When the wind blows from the east the fish bite the least, sort of rules out the bank.

I'd chuck longer "skids" on it as it looks like it might tip forward when hit hard by wind

Does it need any sort of rudder?

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I'd chuck longer "skids" on it as it looks like it might tip forward when hit hard by wind

Does it need any sort of rudder?
    Yea I did wonder if that may be a problem.....hopefully the tension pulling the line at water level from the rear of the skids will keep it mostly upright?

May have to add some buoyancy yet too.

I think the Bridal is the best chance of a rudder or any kind of steering but it will basically be at the mercy of the wind and currents, this shouldn't be a problem off of the beach I intend to use it from providing mainly off shore winds.

Test the lolly in a bucket of salt water.
    Think you might need a bit of a keel out of #8 and a lead sinker, otherwise you will need to keep pressure on the line to keep it upright which would slow it down . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Test the lolly in a bucket of salt water.
    Think you might need a bit of a keel out of #8 and a lead sinker, otherwise you will need to keep pressure on the line to keep it upright which would slow it down . . .
    Ok I sort of thought the line itself and 25 baits would be heaps of drag..... never done this before so just wingin it

Will do a test run tomorrow evening.....watch the seas go mirror flat now I have said that.
    308 likes this.

Fulla
    I take it you know what a kontiki balloon is. I havnt brought one for a while but I'm sure there cheap too. Maybe you just like making stuff, which is cool.

An Uncle of mine made one using tyre tube and fabric sail. He used to suck half the lolly away before tying it into the dropper and setting sail.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I take it you know what a kontiki balloon is. I havnt brought one for a while but I'm sure there cheap too. Maybe you just like making stuff, which is cool.
    No... got a photo?

I will be surprised. Couply points. Wind will just spill off the sides of the ply, it may move but it will be slow. A wave over the front will flatten it.....prove me wrong bro

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    No... got a photo?
    No photo. It's just a big bright coloured plastic bag fairly thick tie a knot in one end. Hold in the wind to fill it with air. Then tie a knot in the other end and attach your rope at each end, like you have done, maybe off Centre to tack it a certain direction. We would just buy them at the sports shop. I havnt for years as we have a battery one. But maybe ask and see if anyone has one in stock.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    No photo. It's just a big bright coloured plastic bag fairly thick tie a knot in one end. Hold in the wind to fill it with air. Then tie a knot in the other end and attach your rope at each end, like you have done, maybe off Centre to tack it a certain direction. We would just buy them at the sports shop. I havnt for years as we have a battery one. But maybe ask and see if anyone has one in stock.
    Interesting. Will have to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I will be surprised. Couply points. Wind will just spill off the sides of the ply, it may move but it will be slow. A wave over the front will flatten it.....prove me wrong bro
    I hope to prove you wrong lol.
    Off shore wind means bugger all waves generally and other than weight I don't think the ply would be any different to plastic or whatever as a sail.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Interesting. Will have to have a look.
    I'm thinking since battery ones they might be hard to find.
    They were a cylinder shape about 1.5 mrs through and 3mtrs long.
    If you can find a plastic bag like this your away.

I think unless you get perfect conditions, its not going to work, Its as tall as it is wide, think it will end up upside down, if you get any kind side wind or wave or water on one side or the other,
    I invested much time and resources, many moon's ago, trying to launch home made kontiks, of santoft beach, the best was a kayak, with an Armstrong engine, these also work much better if you get the main line snagged.
    a chunk of pvc, 4" tube sealed, with a bit of a keel to keep it straight on each tube, and a cloth sail, adjustable for wind, worked, ok sum of the times, but twice as wide as it is tall,
    I would try of rabbit island at low tide, then if it doesn't work, you can walk the bastard out 1/2 km off shore, and still not get your head wet.