Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Scallops top of the south season looking grim

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Fishing rules app updated.
    Larger area closed....basically the whole top of South.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Never bought scallops before. Might have to now.

I remember a mate in Haast had the biggest scallop shell I have ever seen and he was adamant it come from stewy island.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Never bought scallops before. Might have to now.

I remember a mate in Haast had the biggest scallop shell I have ever seen and he was adamant it come from stewy island.

I have bought them but before I had a boat and when the wife's friend worked for the scollop enhancement company so got good deals

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Season two! I do believe they are pushing the panic button. Expect a season three!
    Nil durum volenti !!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Season two! I do believe they are pushing the panic button. Expect a season three!
    I usually get up once a year for a swim.

Think I am alright with a 3 year closed season. Especially if it works.

Never struggled to find them tho in all the years I have been diving or dredging for them.

stingray likes this.

Dredging should be banned imo, very destructive

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Tend to agree. I don't own a dredge and don't know much about it always bluge off someone else when they go out😆

I can't see how dragging one along is any good for the bottom. Especially the commercial ones.

Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Depending on the bottom type yes.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nah, just all of them
    josh86 and A330driver like this.

I believe that there needs to be a seeding / enhancement programme along side closed seasons. If you have a skeleton biomass, then survival / recruitment of spat may only cover the die off for that year. They need to target beds that have being successfully enhanced in the past ...Goldenbay , out off Titarangi , not sure if Richmond or Kiutu were and yes okiwi, Tasman bay I'm hesitant about ..perhaps off the Glen in the sand at 60 - 80 ft /18-22 meters. In the Marine reserve at bark bay and off the Glen. But certainly not in the sludge in the middle of the bay. Out off Ruby bay and down by Adel Island where you have a settled firm bottom.This will give you a bio mass that is able to substain itself and increase due to the over all mass of spat being larger.
    Hell even set up a give little page to fund it to gauge interest in seeing a programme like this undertaken. $1 for $1 with the government matching our commitment.

As an after thought, have the beds in these reserves ever being surveyed? There should be some sort of previous catch information for these areas and with them both being reserves for over 10 + years surely they would be an indicator of the actual situation weather it is fishing pressure or something else affecting the population.
    Last edited by stingray; 04-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and R93 like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Well folks ..I made a submission , a short season oct-dec( when the fish are in peak condition), limit of 5 per fisher 40 per boat. So we can get a feed and if it effects the bio mass they can close it again next year and to their credit MPI are taking what we are saying onboard but family ....no deliciousness this season!

Dear Stakeholder

The Minister of Fisheries, the Hon Stuart Nash, has decided to temporarily close the Southern Scallop fishery (SCA 7), including Port Underwood, from 15th July 2018.

While recent surveys have shown scallop numbers in the area are starting to increase, they still remain low. The closure provides a further opportunity for the scallop beds to recover to allow a sustainable fishery in the future.

The majority of submissions received during the consultation process agreed with a further period of closure. Submitters also agreed that when the fisheries re-open, significant changes will be needed to the fisheries management settings.

Fisheries New Zealand acknowledges iwi, community and stakeholder support over the last few years while the fishery has been closed, and recognises the closure continues to impact all who have an interest in the fishery.

Fisheries New Zealand is establishing a multisector group to work on an agreed view of when the number of scallops have increased sufficiently to allow harvesting, and the rules that will be necessary to ensure that any harvest is sustainable.

Results of new scientific research into the fishery will be available later in the year, and this information will be used to guide future management of the scallop fishery.

For more information about the closure and updates on the fishery see the Fisheries New Zealand website: Temporary closure of the Southern Scallop (SCA 7) Fishery | MPI - Ministry for Primary Industries. A New Zealand Government Department.

Stuart Anderson

Director Fisheries Management
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!