Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 8 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 3 Post By kukuwai
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 5 Post By hunter308

Thread: Some of my handy work

Some of my handy work

Time to put my fly tying skills back to work had a guts full of buying commercially made flasher rigs and lures

Name:  rhr9f9_th.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  3.1 KB

Name:  3150p6e_th.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  2.8 KB

Name:  2je38fm_th.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  4.1 KB
    P38, veitnamcam, gadgetman and 5 others like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

They look great! Like the look of the red one on the jig head. A fantastic idea. How long does it take to put one together?
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    They look great! Like the look of the red one on the jig head. A fantastic idea. How long does it take to put one together?
    Takes about 10 to 20 minutes depending on how tangled your fingers get the jig head lures are similar to the ones that are used by Nathan on big angry fish he calls them scoots but they are also called bucktail jigs on the commercial market, one of my mates is already trying to talk me into selling some flasher rigs and jigs to him but I want to test them first to know in my own mind that the patterns work. The jig in the second pic has had a yellow feather tied over the orange one and silver french tinsel added to where the thread is tied off and I nicked some metallic red nail polish off the missus to paint the head of it. The top pic the colours are orange, white and red feathers with orange and black krystal flash underneath.
    stingray likes this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Cool

If you do some up for your mate hook me up also! Hell price me up a couple and I'll see what southern fish think of them. Reckon the gurnards would go hard on the middle one.. they seem to like a bit of yellow n red.

Hockey season is over....fishing time!!
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    If you do some up for your mate hook me up also! Hell price me up a couple and I'll see what southern fish think of them. Reckon the gurnards would go hard on the middle one.. they seem to like a bit of yellow n red.

Hockey season is over....fishing time!!
    Once I have tested them I will let you know how they go I want to get some marabou to tie better ones with than the cheap $2 bag of feathers I got from the warehouse, I also just had some 7/0 1.5oz soft bait heads turn up today so I will be trying some other colours once my krystal flash arrives so I can see if I can get a good kingi lure happening.
    stingray likes this.

some more of my stuff I have done recently
    Name:  20170916_160923[1].jpg
Views: 859
Size:  408.6 KB
    Name:  20170916_140744[1].jpg
Views: 852
Size:  468.7 KB
    P38 likes this.

very tidy....keep an eye out for fluffy toys in the said $2 shop too. plenty of bits to trim off on them,the hair off the trolls looks similar.

Ross them skutes look like they do the business aye. Im going to have a crack at them too. Where can one get a cheap vice thingee?
    stingray likes this.

Hey @Gibo you can get 'vice thingie' pretty cheap off marine deals (under $25) just type in fly tying vice.
    You will also need a bobbin... that's a thingie that holds the cotton reel and makes it easy to wind the cotton around the hook.
    A bit of cheap nail varnish finishes off the head pretty well and ensures the cotton doesn't undo.
    Have fun

PS @hunter308 I reckon they would go pretty good on salmon if your ever down south when they are running !! Be on the bottom anyway
    hunter308, stingray and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ross them skutes look like they do the business aye. Im going to have a crack at them too. Where can one get a cheap vice thingee?
    As Kukuwai said there are some good prices with marine deals there are a few good ones on trade me too I got mine from wrights fishing and outdoors in Te Awamutu for $30, a bobbin holder would make life easier but not really needed, you will need 210 denier flat waxed thread. Most of mine are made from woolly bugger marabou the ones with buck tail in them I only made today after finding some. I am waiting for some good weather to get my little boat out to test them and blood my new Penn softbaiting/micro jigging combo that is in one of the pics
    Gibo likes this.

Cheers fullas

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    very tidy....keep an eye out for fluffy toys in the said $2 shop too. plenty of bits to trim off on them,the hair off the trolls looks similar.
    Thanks for the compliment mate, as for materials I very much prefer to use proper fly tying stuff as I know what I am getting I already skimped out once and used the $2 per bag feathers from the warehouse and things didn't go too well in saying that the glitter paint they sell for use on fabric does well for sealing off over the thread around the head of the lure even though it is properly tied off and glued with proper fly tying cement

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Hey @Gibo you can get 'vice thingie' pretty cheap off marine deals (under $25) just type in fly tying vice.
    You will also need a bobbin... that's a thingie that holds the cotton reel and makes it easy to wind the cotton around the hook.
    A bit of cheap nail varnish finishes off the head pretty well and ensures the cotton doesn't undo.
    Have fun

PS @hunter308 I reckon they would go pretty good on salmon if your ever down south when they are running !! Be on the bottom anyway
    Salmon is on my bucket list of fish to catch but I have to get my butt down there first

Well I got to test out some flasher rigs I had previously made over the weekend on kawhia harbour I tried one of my chartreuse coloured ones and nailed a nice kahawai with it I changed to an orange and purple flasher rig and it got slammed hard by a 48cm gurnard then the same rig got taken by a stonker of a kahawai so I was happy with the result conditions in the harbour were not all that fantastic and did not make for comfortable fishing or travelling on the boat. can't wait to get to the east coast to try out my scoots in either the firth of thames or around the bottom of waiheke. Was also stoked that the vintage 2/0 penn senator I scored a few weeks ago got to be put through its paces on those 3 fish I should be getting my penn delmar 285 back from being serviced this week so that is next on the list for a blooding