Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Tanks vs breath hold lets get your thoughts.

Tanks vs breath hold lets get your thoughts.

Started life as a very amateur breath holder .... Got to 16 did a dive course tanked for a few years now..... Low and behold back breath holding!

This thread is for all to put their thoughts. @Toby and others looking at both.... Let's give them our advice thoughts etc ...

I dive for scallops because I have to. Crays butters cod free diving is where it's at.
    Nil durum volenti !!

There was a thing on shallow water black out on 60min? the other night.
    Happens too often with swimming training apparently.
    Certainly something you would want to read up on before doing either.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

tanks are cheating, free dive is where its at

Scuba'd for 14 years. Free dived for last four. Have seen and caught twice as many crays in that time free diving. You see soo fish life as you arnt blowing bubbles(kingi's just swim upto u). I still scollop dive with tanks as it only take a few minutes to get limit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    been scuba diving for 40yrs, only free dive when spearfishing or the odd cray
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

About 3 hours of free diving is where I'm at
    stingray and Gibo like this.

I love tank diving, but mainly due accessibility to where I dive free diving is the best option. Not that hard to grab your limit of crays and paua in < 30 minutes in good conditions.
    Sidetrack likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

R93
    When I want a feed of paua I don't even have to get my feet wet so I don't see the point of becoming shark tucker over 10 of those.
    Only free dive crays when they are in shallow at a certain time of year.
    I do a lot of diving in white pointer country.
    I try to restrict my mid column and surface time to a minimum.
    Which is better?
    Probably the one that is less likely to leave bits of my body bobbing around in the tide.
    Free diving in my neck of the woods would likely, overtime, become free lunch😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 10-12-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    JoshC likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Haha same. I always take a mate fatter than me diving...not sure if white pointers are that picky but it puts my mind at ease.
    big_foot likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

depends what your doing for example if your diveing in 6m of water for scollies then free dive would be the way to go dive grab a few come up measure dive again and grab a few more.... but if your diving in 15-20 a tank would give you more bottom time in less your a fantastic free diver most ove my mates that dive spear fish so strictly free dive my brother dose both spearfishing free diveing and scuba dives for crays (if its to deep for him to free dive)

Been diving for 26 yrs started at 16 and have been diving a rebreather since 1999.The odd bit of freediving but not much.

P38
    I enjoy both sides of this fence.

Love free diving for paua and also love scuba.

Unfortunately my effective free diving limit is about 3 meters or less for no more than 30 seconds or so.

One time at the Poor Knights my buddy and I dived to 20m on scuba next minute we were joined by a free diving mate.

I offered him my spare reg but he declined.

He spent about another minute with us surveying the fishy scene then gently ascended back to the surface.

His total dive time was probably three minutes to a depth of 20 meters with about a 1 minute bottom time.

After our dive we checked him out for Gills.

I guess that's what happens when your a mad keen spearo.

Cheers
    Pete
    JoshC, stingray and Toby like this.

I used to free dive as I was spear fishing, Paua, crays, and the biggest reason I never took up tank diving is deep open water scares the screaming shit out of me, I don't mind admitting im a soft cock when it comes to the open ocean, I only feel comfortable around reefs and rocks where I can see things and its not to deep.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Interesting. I've never done any scuba and only snorkelled once which would have been over 35 years ago. Now if I can get back just half my lung capacity I'll be quite happy; I used to be able to almost finish the second length of the old 50m QEII pool on a breath. Bugged the hell out of me that I could only do 95m and I couldn't quite reach that 100m.

Bring it on!
    stingray likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

i enjoy scuba diving because it gives you a chance to just relax and enjoy the scenery, i find it harder to catch crays on tanks than i do on a snorkel and i find carrying bags/nooses etc to be a pain in the fucking arse and you spend more time chuffing your tank trying to get that cray you cant quite reach because your to big to fit in the hole than you do enjoying the dive. i do all my spearfishing when free diving, its awesome when after some practice your depth bottom time gets good enough to go down and sit in the weed on the bottom while you wait for that big one to swim past, and plus i think its more fair to the fish that way. both are awesome tho. the ocean is a freaky and awesome place.
    gadgetman and stingray like this.