Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: what reel/rod combo for deep water?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    No
    ok didnt think so. i looked at those accurate rods etc they look pretty good so might go into the local shop and see what theyre like in hand

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

what reel/rod combo for deep water?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Why not?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    They are just not made for it. Not enough spool capacity for deep stuff and typically high gear ratios for fast retrieves. Sure you could use one but you won't see a commercial boat ever use one. A fixed spool reel with enough balls to winch up half ad pound of lead plus a 30kg fish (who usually doesn't want to) is not really an option (considering what else is available).
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Ok just see the Matt Watson and big angry fish payed advertisements using them.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Also why do they use bloody great long rods for big fighting fish? makes more sense to use a shorter powerful rod for more leverage to me.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ok just see the Matt Watson and big angry fish payed advertisements using them.

Not seen the ad but my guess is the fish in the ad will a pelagic (kingi, tuna, billfish)? No great need for large capacity, plus you can always chase with the boat if it starts looking close.
    The rod often needs to be a compromise. Long rods are good to get you line around, over or to where you want. Puka fishing though needs little finesse and a broom handle will suffice.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

They are just not made for it. Not enough spool capacity for deep stuff and typically high gear ratios for fast retrieves. Sure you could use one but you won't see a commercial boat ever use one. A fixed spool reel with enough balls to winch up half ad pound of lead plus a 30kg fish (who usually doesn't want to) is not really an option (considering what else is available).
    Agree with the practicallity issues of puka fishing with an egg beater but your statement about capacity (if you mean line capacity) is bollocks. Diawa saltist dog fight gets 500m of 37 easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Agree with the practicallity issues of puka fishing with an egg beater but your statement about capacity (if you mean line capacity) is bollocks. Diawa saltist dog fight gets 500m of 37 easy.
    Wow that's huge. 37kg braid or nylon? Never been a big user of fixed spool but I knew they have really beefed up a few top end ones. Is the Saltist up there with the likes of the Shimano Stellar? Still winching up 500m of line with a eggbeater sounds like little fun to me. Winching fish in general is fucking boring anyway.
    Gibo likes this.

Wow that's huge. 37kg braid or nylon? Never been a big user of fixed spool but I knew they have really beefed up a few top end ones. Is the Saltist up there with the likes of the Shimano Stellar? Still winching up 500m of line with a eggbeater sounds like little fun to me. Winching fish in general is fucking boring anyway.
    Sorry bro, saltiga not saltist
    Agree that winching fish is boring. I dont bother much anymore. Rather scrap out a kingi. I was on the receiving end of a good lesson when puka fishing out a mayor one day. Got dam near dragged over when fishing at 300m deep, had me fucked for 1hr 55mins, get a hundy take a hundy and so on. Then the circle hook let go Never saw it but the hook when we looked at it was now a dull gray and the other was still shinny and new. I suspect it was hooked in somethings gut as there were rub marks on the trace 500mm either side of the hook! Good knows what it was but it was a demon Bout the only fun ive had puka fishing.
    Have seen one with 500m of 37. Yes they are same or more than a stella

Daiwa New Saltiga Dogfight 7000

Sorry bro, saltiga not saltist
    Agree that winching fish is boring. I dont bother much anymore. Rather scrap out a kingi. I was on the receiving end of a good lesson when puka fishing out a mayor one day. Got dam near dragged over when fishing at 300m deep, had me fucked for 1hr 55mins, get a hundy take a hundy and so on. Then the circle hook let go Never saw it but the hook when we looked at it was now a dull gray and the other was still shinny and new. I suspect it was hooked in somethings gut as there were rub marks on the trace 500mm either side of the hook! Good knows what it was but it was a demon Bout the only fun ive had puka fishing.
    Have seen one with 500m of 37. Yes they are same or more than a stella

Daiwa New Saltiga Dogfight 7000
    I wish we had worthwhile salt water fishing in HB. I was spoilt living in the Mount as well as a few overseas locations. I used to love going to the Mayor , especially when it was free. We had some good nights there. Diving Tuhua on the way home was cool. You were often the Pied Piper with a procession of rat kingis following you around.

Most of the charter boats going out for Puka would use the Daiwa SL900. Ugly but bullet proof. Good cost effective option.
    Gibo likes this.

@Proudkiwi also had a nice setup for sale at a great price too.

Fuck that forum is ugly! What a shit colour and layout
    veitnamcam, kiwijames and Toby like this.

Fuck that forum is ugly! What a shit colour and layout
    You have just seen "the other forum" that we refer to
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals