Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Whitebaiting!

Name:  IMG_20170925_082102.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  591.1 KBstill a fine way of doing f all... BOP doing well this morning..
    veitnamcam, Trout, Munsey and 1 others like this.

Just having breakfast then going to mow the lawns, after that I am heading out for the 1st time this season. Nice gentle norwester blowing, sea flattening off nicely. I will give you a report when I get home.
    madmaori and Blisters like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Ok folks, a short lived trip to the river before disaster struck and I am lucky to be alive I am a veteran of 43 years whitebaiting, Dad started taking me out at the age of 5 so I got to learn all the currents, the waves, tides conditions etc so without blowing my own trumpet I am very experienced when it comes to whitebaiting.

Now what happened? I guess fatigue played a big part in it as I am still sore from my trip rabbit shooting so when I started swinging the net I could feel the body crying out in pain, secondly the norwester started blowing a gale so that took the strength out of me and then there was the out going tide which with a rough surf became hazardous.

Bottom line is a big surge came and it turned me inside out so with the net dragging me towards the current I looked behind me thinking the wave must be well through it's push but no it just kept pushing and soon I was in a deep hole rocketing towards the main current.

I have rehearsed this event many times in my head over the years so was ready for this moment, I went under and gulped down 2 big gob fulls of water so the first thing I did was let go of the whitebait net then pulled the release buckle on my dive belt which attaches my catch bucket so I then came to the surface. Although I am not a swimmers arsehole the next part in the strategy was to swim with the current on an angle and luckily one of the other whitebaiters hield his net out which I gratefully grabbed and I got back to shore absolutely rooted.

Now before anyone says were you wearing a life jacket I can tell you I did try it a couple of times however when you are constantly chest high in water and sometimes the waves crashing over your head the life jackets pick you up off your feet and you become too buoyant which is a hazard so it's far safer not to wear one.

I can report the whitebait were not running at the time, only shoals of 6's - 10's max but they could have picked up with the incoming tide. Never mind I have cheated death today so I called into super liquor and bought some Jim Beam to celebrate my survival.

Photo of me before I started whitebaiting, happy in anticipation
    Name:  IMG_7415.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  238.0 KB

Photo after the event
    Name:  IMG_7416.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  152.6 KB

Sorry to be so long wined on your thread but I thought I should share this experience
    Trout, Boaraxa, WallyR and 1 others like this.

R93
    Almost the sencond to go this season. Good to see you are here to tell the tail.

There are a few every year that succumb to the lure of the stupid little fish.

I hate scooping at the best of times. Get a sock net and find a safe spot up river.
    You will catch more without risking your neck and if you know where to site it (there is a knack) with no effort.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Trout and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Glad you are ok and can tell the tail.
    R93 and stingray like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Wife going to Grey and Hoki in the weekend....should I go with and beg/borrow a net and bucket or stay home and go for a hunt or rod fish?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Wife going to Grey and Hoki in the weekend....should I go with and beg/borrow a net and bucket or stay home and go for a hunt or rod fish?
    Weather is poos mate. Remind me closer to the time and I will get the river conditions for you. Better off baching for the weekend.

I would lend ya my gear but it is locked the boat shed and I have the only key which is in my truck in chch.

veitnamcam likes this.

Cheers VC

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Almost the sencond to go this season. Good to see you are here to tell the tail.

There are a few every year that succumb to the lure of the stupid little fish.

I hate scooping at the best of times. Get a sock net and find a safe spot up river.
    You will catch more without risking your neck and if you know where to site it (there is a knack) with no effort.

Thanks R93, I am back on the hunt for another scoop net. Your advice is very solid however I do love whitebaiting the surf, maybe I'm getting a bit old for that game but another lesson learned and maybe I just have to take it a bit easier. Another good river close by does fish well up river so that is an option. Thanks again

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Thanks R93, I am back on the hunt for another scoop net. Your advice is very solid however I do love whitebaiting the surf, maybe I'm getting a bit old for that game but another lesson learned and maybe I just have to take it a bit easier. Another good river close by does fish well up river so that is an option. Thanks again
    Once you learn to read the river you will always catch more than what you will scooping the surf.
    The bait that goes around people standing up to their necks in water would be 1000x what they catch.

I have had some huge days scooping when younger but in easier water where the bait was forced to the edges.
    Now I setup, sit back and look at the mountains or even have a flick for the odd trout that scares my bait.
    Setup at the start and pull in at the end.

I have only had to empty my net a couple times in-between. It would hold 50kg easy anymore and you risk ripping the net getting it out of the water.
    Can be pretty boring until the bait runs and you find you have set wrong and it is going around you.

Biggun708 likes this.

+1 I'm bllody glad you had a saftey plan and you took it and it worked... shit that was nasty as reading let alone being the poor bugger in the surf.
    Biggun708 and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Attachment 76159still a fine way of doing f all... BOP doing well this morning..
    How did you get on @Biggun708

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    How did you get on @Biggun708
    Started of real well at the beginning of the tide... Just tapered off to nothing by the end... Ended up with just under a kilo...
    veitnamcam and madmaori like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Started of real well at the beginning of the tide... Just tapered off to nothing by the end... Ended up with just under a kilo...
    Gotta be happy sitting by the river though!
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Once you learn to read the river you will always catch more than what you will scooping the surf.
    The bait that goes around people standing up to their necks in water would be 1000x what they catch.

I have had some huge days scooping when younger but in easier water where the bait was forced to the edges.
    Now I setup, sit back and look at the mountains or even have a flick for the odd trout that scares my bait.
    Setup at the start and pull in at the end.

I have only had to empty my net a couple times in-between. It would hold 50kg easy anymore and you risk ripping the net getting it out of the water.
    Can be pretty boring until the bait runs and you find you have set wrong and it is going around you.

Certain rivers fish better up river than others, unfortunately the Waitaki isn't one of them. I have been to the West coast and fished the Moraki (or Blue as we call it) just up from Heast. It fishes well in the surf and up river (best if you have a stand) my mates brother had the best stand on the river and I know what you mean about bucketing the whitebait out of the net to stop it from splitting open. The Waitaki where I whitebait does not fish well up river so it's surf fishing or nothing. You do have good advice so thanks for your input, I have just finished making my new frame and am almost finished my catch bucket so getting ready again. I have down sized the net a wee bit due to getting older