Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Winter fishing Tasman bay

Went out with the old man and a cousin for a fish Sat
    Up early to be line in water at change of light I had managed to talk the old man into bringing his long-line.
    Im sure this thing has been handed down from the whaling days
    We set it of Delawhare bay and headed northish for some cod.
    We did pretty well on the cod getting our quota with only a couple being returned gently as under-size. The rest were well over with a couple of real beautys.

Sorry for the shit photos from my phone and Id had a few
    Heading back to pick up the long line I joked that it would have 25 spiny dogs on it, the old man replyed na 22 cos its missing some hooks
    Well pulling it up and bugger me if every hook didnt have a fish on it,If you can call spiny dogs/sand sharks fish.
    We did get one nice big fat Gurnard and this threasher(correct me if Im wrong fishos) was following it up.

I grabed the gaff at one stage and asked if they were any good to eat and was told to leave it alone.All good we had a feed,My engineers Eye put it at around 3 meters.

After that we headed out to a secret summer snapper mark for a look and caught a few Ka...y (mental blank cant spell) to smoke and barracuda for bait.
    All in all not bad for winter fishing in Nelson without going to Durvil Is.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well done on the fishing man that waters clear up there. I know it's a long way from Tasman bay , but do you know anything about fishing out from clifford bay more precise marfells beach. On my way back from blenhelm I called in and took a look. There where two or three small boats out fishing . Don't no what for but it looks premo .

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Well done on the fishing man that waters clear up there. I know it's a long way from Tasman bay , but do you know anything about fishing out from clifford bay more precise marfells beach. On my way back from blenhelm I called in and took a look. There where two or three small boats out fishing . Don't no what for but it looks premo .
    Na sorry mate, this time of year the snapper that are still around(in the top of the south) have gone deep and can still be caught around Durvil/cook straight along with Kingis and grouper. The odd snapper is still caught all year in the sounds. But pretty much in shallow water round here you target gurnard(on the sand) cod and teraki on the rocks.

Skills Vietnamcam and some choice photography

magic photo's Vietnamcam!! I think the shark following up the spikeys is a cow shark (seven giller) due to the colour and shape. Some magic fishing in that area. wouldn't recomend gaffing a green shark though it would probably drag the gaff out of your hands... and if you got it to the boat it would go absolutley nuts and could do some serious damage.

wicked spot along that coast spent many many days fishing / diving along there.

Its tail fin was really elongated and swept back on the top portion if thats any help, you can sort of see it in the bottom photo

seven gill shark for sure,thasher has no spots on the back and are a slighly didernt colour,love the colour of the water down ther wish we had clean water like that

Oh ok, water not to clear at the mo too much heavy rain

I caught a 7 giller once , did look like that , no dorsal fin and long tail . Good eating from memory