Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Americas cup /louise vutton

Americas cup /louise vutton

Anyone showing an active interest following the Challenger races . Ive been on the habour next to the team NZ boat and was in awe of the size and speed of this vessel -it just comes up outta the water on the foils and like a bullet it just flys . Its been a bummer Artimis was there all the way but when they were they wern't much chop , Got to wonder about Coutts fessing up to cheating also as its go to be tactically planned to reduce a major injury happening to the team by dis-qualification to team members
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Only when i catch it by mistake, I'm a land based mammal with no real attraction to yachts and the sea but watched this mornings race. Pretty impressive boats, heard them mention that due to the expense of the boat leading to the lack of countries competing it'll be the last of them.

hopefully if it comes back here our guys will only allow citizens from each country to race on its own country's entry and get the boats to a size and cost structure that others can compete with before having to compete on the water

They are the most awesome machines, how you fly one of those beasts with such precision is beyond me. It takes to much strategy out of cup racing, I watch it for the boat but not the race. But love Americas cup in the old form. Need to bring it back here to sort it out, but hey it's a rich mans sport and big egos are a bastard to carry round with you
    sneeze likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

That would certainly bring back the meaning of what it should be, would also draw more spectators back not only in NZ but across the globe, instead of it being regarded as a rich mans sport-the biggest cheque book wins sort of thing.
    Maca49 likes this.

Features high end technology that I find interesting and is a sport the New Zealand is very good at but watching it is a snooze-fest for me unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Features high end technology that I find interesting and is a sport the New Zealand is very good at but watching it is a snooze-fest for me unfortunately.
    Yeah but wouldn't you like a trip on one of those, awesome experience I reckon
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

yes lovin it. There is no other format like it, while this one hasn't been much on the racing front so far the best is yet to come and the machinery is enough of a spectacle to keep me watching. Some very smart people playing the game.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    What are our chances this time around..........Realistically?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Winning the LV cup and going on to challenge Id say very good. Bringing home the AC ? Oracle are an unknown quantity at this stage but given the people involved they will be fast and skilful.
    Kiwis set another unofficial record the other day at 47+ knts
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    What are our chances this time around..........Realistically?
    We have been beaten by Oracle in the smaller cats so we can assume they are good .They have spent alot more on the R&R and team than us so I think we can assume they going to be a fantastic team .We have more actual race time on the water but it matters little I think due to the quality so far of the competition .
    Oracle will test us that is for sure --1st race the truth will come out in the wash and from there that player will probably dominate the game -my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yeah but wouldn't you like a trip on one of those, awesome experience I reckon
    For sure I'd like a trip on one. And get to chat to the crew about how everything works.
    kiwi39 likes this.

AC is great for technology advancement. These yachts are awesome to watch. AC always has technology, good racing (in most cases) and land based fighting and intrigue. I love the AC. Hope we bring it home.

Does anyone remember the Auckland Viaduct prior to us winning the AC. It was a grey, fish strewn, eye sore. So was much of downtown Auckland. The AC changed that over night and so much development went in there and it still brings in the tourists now.
    AC is a big event to win. It pumps cash into the country hosting it (as long as its got numerous teams unlike the current one is SD).

Good for our tourism as tourists start in Auck and then move throughout the country then back to Auck for more AC action. It boosts our industry in a big way and advertises us to the world. Our boat builders were pumping when we held the cup.
    Winning this cup will be a good thing for us.

Oh and I just love seeing those things out on the water.

Cheers.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Watch it on the TVNZ website in the mornings while having a coffee at work. Those things fly like a scorched cat. Actually they are pretty much are scorched cats. Good to see no Australians on the horizon.
    A shame the legs are so short and the race over in 45min. Be hard to find a reasonably long course that is sheltered given the speeds they travel at