Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.

Asbestos Cottage, Kahurangi National Park.

Anyone been out that way lately ?
    Down Nelson late June, and thought I'd do a couple of the Cobb Valley walks.
    Cheers

We drove past it the other day, there were no cars parked at the start of the Asbestos track.
    There are a few walks and access closed around the district due to the recent storm damage. It's made everything else busy for the school holiday period. We couldn't do our planned overnight due to another hut already being full, had to settle for bit of a walk instead with the wee kiddies.
    I'd say it'll be much quieter in June.
    Last edited by Moutere; 03-05-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Cheers for that info. Any idea what the track to the cottage is like ? My wifes tagging along and she ain't going to be happy if the goings to tough !

Sorry I've not walked in into the Asbestos myself. It does look quite gorgy from the air. I would give DOC Motueka/Golden Bay a call, they'd be able to give you some pointers. Otherwise we've found tracks are often reviewed online by various people.
    The Cobb itself is a flat river Valley and the track up to the Sylvester Hut & lakes is a relatively easy grade from memory.
    The only access up onto the Tablelands at the moment is from the Cobb Valley.

Some one had scratched in 4 hours return into the sign for the Asbestos track. I think the DOC time above that may have been 1.5 hours one way. Asbestos Cottage | Huts | New Zealand Tramper: hiking and walking community information

Many thanks mate