Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Doppler Divers

R93

Doppler Divers

So how many divers do we have on here?

I did a ticket in the eighties. Still really just dive for my guts tho.
    Been too a few exoctic places but didnt get to have to good of a look due to work.
    Marshall Islands, Chuk (truc), Kerabati, Solomans and a few others.
    Rich007 likes this.

Ok is a doppler diver any diferent from normal scuba? I did my ticket early eighties as well,but havnt been in the water for 3-4 years now. Im sure my wetsuit will have shrunk.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Doppler is as it sounds Sneeze. A slug under water as well as land like us Na it is just a recreational diver.

DAF
    I used to dive regularly while living in Asia. The warm clear waters there were awesome; I haven't been in since moving to cold murky waters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

I love my Diving, been diving for about 10 years, not really a scenic diver just a hunter and gather..... Love then crays. But have done a few scenic dives in tropics, fiji, vanuatua, and egypt. Best scenic dive was red sea egypt (Dahab) like diving in a Fish bowl. So if anyone needs a dive buddy pm me, or if you have a spare spot on your boat , ill be your cabin boy... Ha,ha ...

I think the last dive I had was a weekend trip round D'urvile.Crap it was the year I bought my last Ute so 2005.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    I used to dive regularly while living in Asia. The warm clear waters there were awesome; I haven't been in since moving to cold murky waters

We can get 40-60 ft viz around Haast DAF, especially in the winter. I have never been under more than 20 minutes before filling my catch bag with big bugs. Only prob is there are a few big resident fish. You have to know where to dive.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    We can get 40-60 ft viz around Haast DAF, especially in the winter. I have never been under more than 20 minutes before filling my catch bag with big bugs. Only prob is there are a few big resident fish. You have to know where to dive.
    sounds strange and paranoid r93but ever considered electronic protection from sharks? I use to use it when swimming shooting surf photography
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Free diving in kaikoura is my summer Holliday kick . Butter fish and moki with a spear gun is the same rush as shooting ducks or quail ,love it. Haunt got a cray on a breath yet Wtf. So amature really . Would love to do dive course , must be easy not having to hold breath

My instructor was NZ sperafish champ at the time,he didnt agree with taking anything if you had a tank.But he was freaky in the pool ,just lying on the bottom while teams of us did the lenght on one breath part one after the other.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    sounds strange and paranoid r93but ever considered electronic protection from sharks? I use to use it when swimming shooting surf photography
    Mate if you seen these ones you wouldnt get in a cage near them. No I just perfer not to dive where they frequent and feed. If if you think it is strange and paranoid to not dive near them, then I am all for being strange and paranoid.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Free diving in kaikoura is my summer Holliday kick . Butter fish and moki with a spear gun is the same rush as shooting ducks or quail ,love it. Haunt got a cray on a breath yet Wtf. So amature really . Would love to do dive course , must be easy not having to hold breath
    I have got crays around Oraro? in 2m of water Munsey. January is the time mate.

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Sound like a nice area
    Yeah we had quite a few big biters where we were, used to spearfish every week and you would regularly see reefies and during one part of the year bronze whalers,
    I have a vivid memory of one outing where we had two bronzies coming up over the drop off criss crossig while a mate was getting his catch onto the cliffs

Rich007 likes this.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

My mate I spear fish with had a youn fella work for him in ch ch , he has since move north as he wants to become nz spear fish champ . He was a freak too. holds his breath while slaying every thing you could imagine for two and a half minutes . In twenty minutes have seen him catch more fish and crays and shellfish than you could think was possible .

Just remembering the jib stopper that did our house was chasing blue fin off the west cost, he had made a spear gun that looked more like a surfboard with god knows how many rubbers on it. Pretty sure he was the first to successfully spear one.