Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: fire thermo fans ... do they work ?

fire thermo fans ... do they work ?

Name:  fire fan.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  66.3 KB

Can anyone tell me if these fans do actually work ?
    Im thinking that it might be useful ( if they work ) in my little high country hut to puff a bit of the heat from the wood range further around the room.
    The hut is only 4x3m and its roasting by the fire and stays pretty chilly in the opposite corner.

Thoughts please and any particular brand and models anyone can recommend or otherwise ?

Have one at home I reckon it does.
    You see the yanks using them in cabins.

In a small space like that it might work. Have one at home and it's really more decoration, it does give you an idea if the fires got to cool though when it stops
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

In a corner put in a low rev, hi volume fan, mounted vertically, a few inches off the floor, so you suck the cold air from the floor and pushes up into the hot air on the ceiling, this helps with mixing all the air in the room
    Beaker likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    In a corner put in a low rev, hi volume fan, mounted vertically, a few inches off the floor, so you suck the cold air from the floor and pushes up into the hot air on the ceiling, this helps with mixing all the air in the room
    It's totally off grid so no power.
    That's why I like it there.
    Maca49 and Beaker like this.

SiB
    Just crank the fire right up........

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Just crank the fire right up........
    I did that a couple of weeks ago when I was up there and ended up in my jockeys for the evening.
    Still cold in the bunks corner.
    Minus 8 outside in the morning .... but the winter fishing was great !

you can make your own fan, the heart of this device is a thermapile ( not the sort your bum gets from a strong vindaloo)
    basically if you put dissimilar metals next to each other in heat you will create a voltage between them, its sort of like copper/zinc plates in a lemon but in this case instead of an electrolyte you use heat. by stacking metal plates as mentioned before and adding heat you will generate voltage. then use a nice little motor like the spindle drive from a CD player (they run full blast at 5V) you add a fan to it.
    of course you will have to play around with different metals/motors etc but it would be a cheap but time consuming project.
    223nut likes this.

Thermopile chargers are already available through ali baba I believe

Just use a Peltier device between a couple of old computer heatsinks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...peltier+module
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post

dammit gadget (no not a rocky horror pun) thats what i was leading to.

Ok Gadgetman, Which of those would be suitable to attach to a computer fan to attach to the mantelpiece to push air around the lounge? They all look like white match boxes to me so pick which one you would buy if you were to do that and I will try that.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Ok Gadgetman, Which of those would be suitable to attach to a computer fan to attach to the mantelpiece to push air around the lounge? They all look like white match boxes to me so pick which one you would buy if you were to do that and I will try that.

cheers.
    @timattalon Won't work on a mantle piece. It relies on heat transfer from one side to the other. Needs to sit with one heatsink on the fire and one radiating heat into the atmosphere.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@timattalon Won't work on a mantle piece. It relies on heat transfer from one side to the other. Needs to sit with one heatsink on the fire and one radiating heat into the atmosphere.

Not quite. The fan would go on or near the mantle piece. The heat thingy would be attached to the big steel van thing that is part of the fire It is like the one in the link Woodsman Totara Insert Wood Burner | Woodsman Fires but has a big vane at 45degrees out the front to direct heat outwards. It gets too hot to touch so I would probably look to attach the thingy to that....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Not quite. The fan would go on or near the mantle piece. The heat thingy would be attached to the big steel van thing that is part of the fire It is like the one in the link Woodsman Totara Insert Wood Burner | Woodsman Fires but has a big vane at 45degrees out the front to direct heat outwards. It gets too hot to touch so I would probably look to attach the thingy to that....
    You want the fan blowing over the heatsink on the cold side to help create the temperature difference to generate the power.
    specweapon likes this.