Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: General Fitness Upkeep

General Fitness Upkeep

What do you guys do to keep fit? Do you care what you eat/drink or just get stuck into whatever you feel like for the day?

I haven't been doing my weekly armed walk with ebf religiously this past month, but I've been working hard to run every second or third day. (Yeah yeah VC, I run up a hill though!) I'm trying to be a bit more careful about what I am eating and have cut alcohol out of the equation in a bid to hopefully get back to fighting fit and carry less weight around so I have more steam to carry that big stag home

Do you guys hunt to keep hunting fit?
    Are you a gym junkie?
    Do you do other exercise (weights, rowing machine, run etc) at home between hunts?
    Are you laughing reading this as your kids scream in the background and your alarm tells you it's less than eight hours before you have to get up for work?
    Does anyone have suggestions to get me back into my favorite pre-army-discharge jeans?

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Try to walk 4k every 2nd day about 5:30 am. Have done for yrs. once over 60 it's a bit hard to run, I do run down the hills still but not up the bastards
    Dougie likes this.

Am getting a hunt in every weekend.. ranging from 4-8 hours per day. Swim once a week, but work in a physical job. Might benefit from mountain biking or something aswell

My line of work is very physical, keeps me pretty fit abseiling and climbing around the hills and other places.
    A full days hunting around the mountains in Arthur's pass each week also helps...especially when I've been lucky and have to carry animals out whole.
    Never watched what I eat or drink and I'd class myself as pretty fit. Hate gyms and never been a member of one.
    Guess if I had a less physical job things would be different.
    Dougie likes this.

I try too eat only 1 pie a week.
    P38, HGM77, EeeBees and 1 others like this.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I try too eat only 1 pie a week.
    Splash likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Dougie, I reckon the only way to be fit for the hills is to walk them...with a load...
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Dougie, I reckon the only way to be fit for the hills is to walk them...with a load...
    Roger! Pain, here I come..

hey dougie, take it from me you can run all u want, and it does help abit, but unless you put on a pack on and walk them hills nothing is going to get easier. there is a bit difference between running around the block and carting a pack over the hill thats for sure. trail running would be better with a small pack on. packing out a deer or pig is hard work no matter how many times you do it but if you are fit recovery is sooo much faster. anyway thats my five cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    hey dougie, take it from me you can run all u want, and it does help abit, but unless you put on a pack on and walk them hills nothing is going to get easier. there is a bit difference between running around the block and carting a pack over the hill thats for sure. trail running would be better with a small pack on. packing out a deer or pig is hard work no matter how many times you do it but if you are fit recovery is sooo much faster. anyway thats my five cents worth.
    Thanks! Yes VC harps on about me wasting my time with running I not only want to be fit for hunting, but I also want to fit my old jeans!! I run the hills (Mt Kaukau usually) with a small bladder pack, probably only 4-5kilo with water, dog lead, phone, keys, poo bags (for the dog, not me). Eebs and I have noted a few of our day walks that we might like to chuck the big packs on and walk.

Totally not looking forward to that lol. We do varied distances each week but always with loaded up day bag, mainly 'cos I eat a shitload when we're out walking, and rifles. Depending on the walk it'd be maybe 10-20ks eh ebf?

mind you i gotta practice wot i preach... had a pie today....up early on the morrow to hunt the pig!

ebf
    The walks you and I have done were all between 6 and 13 km, haven't measured last weeks one.

Agree with sakokid, only thing that really helps with tramping is heavier pack and more walking.

Being generally fit does help with recovery. I have a reasonably active job - gardening, up and down ladders. Do a fair amount of walking at the conservation sanctuary, and unless I am stuffed from a recent tramp, try to get in some stationary cycling or rowing at home. It all helps.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Yeah you do basically kick my ass on the hill

Shit some off you take this fitness thing pretty hard out,
    I find that a least a dozen beer every two days seems to do the trick
    Then just boots on and off we go at a steady pace

Get a couple of pointers, 6-8km down the local river every night rain, hail or shine. missed 4 noghts last year. Winter walking is the same area but with torches and strobes on the dog

Unfortunately I don't resemble the distance, even after 2 years of it, I was blessed with a slow metabilism .

Now I am round and as we all know round is a shape which would make getting down hills fast and simple, up hill not so much.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.