Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: General Fitness Upkeep

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I find that a least a dozen beer every two days seems to do the trick
    Carbo loading is an essential part of any good exercise plan
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

R93
    I frequent the gym heaps because they are free to use here in the camps and have excellent gear. I am back (almost) to having the physique I had in my 20's but I wouldnt say I have the fitness. I mainly just try and strengthen my old body that has been trashed by the military and the hills, so I can enjoy my huntring. The wife doesnt mind the time I spend on keeping fit either.
    I agree with the others, there is nothing like time on the hill.

When I was a grunt you were paid and expected to be in peak condition. I still have the drive but not the speed, and to be honest, the slower I got the more I seen in the way of animals. I hate hunting with fit buggers that see a point and go head down ass up to get there missing everything in between.
    I have also got cunning (or lazy) and hunt meat animals where I know I can get as much home, with out killing myself like I used too.
    The way I see it is, if I spend a little time maintaining my fitness I will be able to spend a lot more of my life doing what I love in the mountains. It also helps with maintaining my aviation medical which costs shitloads every 6 months wether you pass or fail.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Running is good for the cardio fitness to keep oxygen flowing on the hills, but walking up the hills with a pack is the best way to build the muscle strength/fitness for it. So do both, playing sport also helps with all round fitness and the competition helps keep you motivated. Biking is a good low-impact alternative to running if you have dodgy knees or something as long as you remember to push yourself instead of just cruising.

I should do all of the above more often than I do but I'm a lazy bugger, and I should eat less pies but I'm a greedy bugger. This weeks goal: get back into biking to work instead of driving.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 10-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Shit some off you take this fitness thing pretty hard out,
    Then just boots on and off we go at a steady pace
    Is that a G1 or a G7 steady pace???

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Shit some off you take this fitness thing pretty hard out,
    Then just boots on and off we go at a steady pace
    Good to see you pacing yourself BRADS. I reckon there is no need to use the heart beats up on practise.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

@
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I frequent the gym heaps because they are free to use here in the camps and have excellent gear. I am back (almost) to having the physique I had in my 20's but I wouldnt say I have the fitness. I mainly just try and strengthen my old body that has been trashed by the military and the hills, so I can enjoy my huntring. The wife doesnt mind the time I spend on keeping fit either.
    I agree with the others, there is nothing like time on the hill.

When I was a grunt you were paid and expected to be in peak condition. I still have the drive but not the speed, and to be honest, the slower I got the more I seen in the way of animals. I hate hunting with fit buggers that see a point and go head down ass up to get there missing everything in between.
    I have also got cunning (or lazy) and hunt meat animals where I know I can get as much home, with out killing myself like I used too.
    The way I see it is, if I spend a little time maintaining my fitness I will be able to spend a lot more of my life doing what I love in the mountains. It also helps with maintaining my aviation medical which costs shitloads every 6 months wether you pass or fail.
    Wisdom comes with age, it's good aye

I have a pedometer on my phone and try to make up 10,000 - 15000 steps per day which is usually walk the dog twice a day. 2K each time. And the rest in around the factory at work.

When prepping for a big trip I walk the dog with 13kg of water bottles in a pack on my back.

Every friday or sat evening is about 2hrs walking around my usual farm plinking bunnies.

Short walks do it for me. Usually down and back up if I end up with something dead lol,that puts the oil gauge over the top. I don't believe in busting my guts these days,mostly just hunt from home.

I was starting to get back to reasonably hill fit again in prep for the roar but a illness has me back to square one now

Went and shot at some clays with Mikee before and had to have a couple of sit downs before i fell down and that was just standing there!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ive really been enjoyin the $5 lunch boxs at kfc and pies and cake...., needa start running more againd and no kfc

Quote Originally Posted by rambo rem700 View Post
    Ive really been enjoyin the $5 lunch boxs at kfc and pies and cake...., needa start running more againd and no kfc

oohhh oohhh, just get a Lab and then you can keep fit racing him to get to all the pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    R93 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I know what your saying VC.
    Doc basically told me to sit on my butt for the next week to lets a few things heel.
    Still it was better than being on a go slow wondering what was wrong the last few weeks.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I know what your saying VC.
    Doc basically told me to sit on my butt for the next week to lets a few things heel.
    Still it was better than being on a go slow wondering what was wrong the last few weeks.
    jeez Barefoot / VC, what is up with all you young fellahs? Last time I saw a doc Muldoon was Prime Minister and that was only for an insurance medical.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I'm like you Rushy work medical is the last time I went to a GP. Always found in the past I came away from a GP visit with a lighter wallet and not much else to be honest found them a pure waste of time with any rugby injuries "can you drain my cauliflower ear" ohh I'm a locum .... please pay on the way out ....
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Run about 45mins 2 -3 times a week up and down a bush track, and paddle board for around an hour to an hour and a half every other nite. Still round ,still the same weight, but diffinitly fitter.