Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Plants - the nasty kinds

Bloody stuff in the ureweras was nasty in winter & it grew over 6' high .Start following deer trails they generally go right threw a big patch of it .
    Think we used Meths on the stings ,been a long time since got hit by the stuff . I used to go numb for 3 or 4 days ,backs of hands use to wear it most.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Bloody stuff in the ureweras was nasty in winter & it grew over 6' high .Start following deer trails they generally go right threw a big patch of it .
    Think we used Meths on the stings ,been a long time since got hit by the stuff . I used to go numb for 3 or 4 days ,backs of hands use to wear it most.
    In the army my left hand got so fat, leathery, swoolen just from being the leading hand on my rifle when bush bashing eh.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Rushy
    Did you ever have any dealings with the old hungarian (I think) that used to drive round minginui in a big fairmont (had a chevy before that)?
    He used to carry a pair of secateurs with him to let him slip through the nasty stuff.
    No I can't say that I have. Was he the buyer that ran the shop there?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Dougie there is a fair bit do dock about so go looking
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

It attracts dead dear...they always seem to end up in a patch of it. Sometimes I tingle for several days if I have been caught by it.

An old remedy is to rub the tingling area with a dock leaf.

There's a lot of it in the Nthn Wairarapa and I've seen a dog become very ill through being stung by it on one of the Ripia River private blocks.

Dougie, you will get to know the sorts of habitat where it prefers to grow and learn to spot it easily by second nature. Getting stung by it speeds up the learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    No I can't say that I have. Was he the buyer that ran the shop there?
    Different guy, the one I'm thinking of lived elsewhere, had been going down since the early 70's for meat hunting to bump up the income. Dissappeared off the scene early 90's.
    Most of his venison recipes started with - marinate your meat in red wine for 3 days . . . but not that kiwi sh#t
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Different guy, the one I'm thinking of lived elsewhere, had been going down since the early 70's for meat hunting to bump up the income. Dissappeared off the scene early 90's.
    Most of his venison recipes started with - marinate your meat in red wine for 3 days . . . but not that kiwi sh#t
    Ha ha ha. Kiwi red wine (especially a Pinot Noir) is a bloody good drop to have with venison.

It's at it's most toxic from Nov - Feb here in the top of the south, the problem with it is that it's not just one chemical it's a real mixture and ya poor old mate (dog) goes through it tounge out panting or licks itself once again after going through it (picks up the toxins off the fur onto the tounge etc) and get absorbed straight into the blood stream.

I had a dog at the vet couple of years ago from it 6 jabs of differnt stuff and a drip for 24 hours. Took him 2 weeks to come right.

add Matorgari and spear grass / spaniard & briar rose....
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    It's at it's most toxic from Nov - Feb here in the top of the south, the problem with it is that it's not just one chemical it's a real mixture and ya poor old mate (dog) goes through it tounge out panting or licks itself once again after going through it (picks up the toxins off the fur onto the tounge etc) and get absorbed straight into the blood stream.

I had a dog at the vet couple of years ago from it 6 jabs of differnt stuff and a drip for 24 hours. Took him 2 weeks to come right.

add Matorgari and spear grass / spaniard & briar rose....
    Ah, good point Stingray. Unlike the lovely hunting dog, my boy has a great double coat that is sort of like a waterproof jacket/tough swanny on the outside, fluffy warm stuff on the inside. Nothing seems to stick to him or make it through his thick coat to the skin. Trouble is when you're running around with two jackets on you tend to get pretty hot pretty quick. Hence why he loves the rain - water-cooled dog. Anyway toungue is pretty much always out.

Why have I not heard of this stuff before lol! Top five poisonings on our list at the vet don't include anything natural. 1080, rat poisons, chocolates and caffine.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

could add these bushes to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    could add these bushes to the list.
    It's a list of the top most common cases of poisonings that are admitted to our hospital.

Because for the average vet rat poison, chocolate, etc ARE the most common poisons.
    The majority of dog owners won't see anything worse than the blackberry bushes in the local park.
    There's about 80 houses in my street, there are 13 dogs that I know are in the street, I'm sure there's more.
    My 2 will be the only ones that regularly leave the burbs, some probably don't leave the section.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Because for the average vet rat poison, chocolate, etc ARE the most common poisons.
    The majority of dog owners won't see anything worse than the blackberry bushes in the local park.
    There's about 80 houses in my street, there are 13 dogs that I know are in the street, I'm sure there's more.
    My 2 will be the only ones that regularly leave the burbs, some probably don't leave the section.
    It's interesting eh. My next door neighbour has a pointer and a boxer, they NEVER leave the section. The pointer is an 'escape artist' so he is always chained up, left to bordom bark for eight hours a day as his exercise.

Wellington seems to be a big lover of poodle crosses...ugh haha. Yesterday at work we had a Viszla entire male come in and I always immediately ask the owners if they hunt!

It would be cool to work at a rural vet....do you take your hunting dogs to the 'normal' suburban vet? I just changed vets...and I don't go to the one I work at hahaha that's saying something for you....

He sounds like a beaut Dougie .. you probably already know!! but a word of caution heat will kill a dog faster than you would ever believe.. dumb arse's locking their mate in a car with windows just down a crack etc is a death sentnce but even running a dog in the heat drop em .. we take our mob down to a secluded part of the river and swim the buggers for an hour in summer.

As far as hunting goes were off the hill by 9am it just to dangeous to the hounds.
    Nil durum volenti !!

What flavour pooch do you have, stingray? I've put in an order to Santa for Jet..a kiddy pool/giant shell. Not much water near us. He'd swim in a teacup if he could fit.