Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Survival training?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I later found the stuffed toy in the corps office coverd in Vaseline and some missing fluff in the back of him? weird
    Was your platoon DS! The Ox also had a stuffed toy fetish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Here is some more helpful hints RimfireNZ
    BrockB05 likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

You can hang out with these cool cats

Survive Club - YouTube

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by the kid View Post
    You can hang out with these cool cats

Survive Club - YouTube
    Teeheehehee, personally, I'd rather stick with the geriatric section of the local tramping club
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Give this website a lookover.....BushcraftNZ - Learn, share, and get out there!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Good work Intagr8!
    Intagr8

like most have said , get out and practice some stuff , while on a tramp etc .

To me , in NZ , its all about NOT letting our weather killing you , we have maybe the worst combo , we have wet/cold , ie raining & winter temps & wind , and those will kill you real quick , if you are un-prepared .

IF you can , create , warmth ( fire ) , and maybe also shelter , you are well on the road to being able to survive .
    We forget , how important , being able to make fire is , we take so much for granted , we want a hot cup of tea , so we flick a switch , and 5mins later are having a hot brew , in the bush , you need to either make a fire or have a means of heating the water etc , making a fire from wood in the bush and maybe one match , may take 60 mins or more to do , try that in the rain !!! .
    In short , learn all you can about making fire , and practice IT , also look at making improvised shelters , branches and ferns etc .

Look at Ray Mears stuff , RE fires etc .

Also just do a search about surviving etc .

It seems the single biggest thing that seperates the dead from the survivors , is WILLPOWER , ie NOT giving up .

Also learn some basic Nav skills , NOT GPS use , map & compass skills .

Look also on line for books , and see if you can find some related forums etc .

Later Chris

Maybe I can be of some assistance? Don't know - check out my website see if that is what you are after
    waypostsurvival.com
    Cheers
    Si

There is lots of YouTube videos of how to build a shelter that is universal, to start a fire in NZ you need to know what wood to use for say a fire bow, a firesteel is a lot easier but still needs practice, there is a book on NZ edible plants, think the library has it, to survive without some equipment is tough, then it's mostly keeping warm and waiting, if you are talking survival because you are lost out in the bush then it's the same principle as long as someone knows your intentions...

But you can practice all the fire stuff in your back yard, same for a lot of basic snares, for bush in Auckland there are many parks, and the west coast beaches are good for overnight sleepovers with Basic equipment, just take a mate who has a tent for backup!

Bear Grylls may be an arse but he has one thing right, having a knife, firesteel and some paracord is a major plus, and an army canteen helps too!

Ray Mears is good for more down to earth survival skills. Bear grylls is entertaining but i can't see how jumping out of a helicopter is helpful. and above all else the good old saying of practice makes perfect.

Interesting topic, the best kind of survival training in my view is experience over time, when I'm hunting I also look for identifiable plants for eating, do a spot of fishing using different methods, the majority of the time I sleep out in the bush (I don't like huts) I'm a big fan of survival training, I've read a number of good books over the years and take my favourite methods for traps etc and head out in the bush and try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Son have I got a deal for you! Join the Army. Ha ha ha ha a recruiting sergeant once said that to me in the bar of the old Tokoroa pub. Changed my life.
    I tried joining and wasn't allowed to because I'm not a citizen here yet Can't be deployed =/ Gonna try again next year ^^

There are heaps of youtube videos related to that kinda thing, Personally I'd either go on a bushcraft course or just get the info I need, Get a buddy or two and sleep rough in the bush for a couple days and bring only essentials like a compass, map, a good knife, a bit of paracord/rope, canteen and emergency food + cellphone. Just DO NOT go alone! You won't become bear grylls overnight! - Even though he apparently sleeps in hotels and has a whole crew with him when he does his shows Just make sure you know what plants and wildlife (including insects) are safe to eat and handle.

I did a solo trip right up the Poulter river valley for a week in spring, I was stuffing myself silly with Canada goose eggs (boiled em) everyday, and shot 4 geese which was enough meat as well for the week, I didn't eat a single bit of my own food, in some areas at the right time of year you could be in danger of gaining weight not starving. I'll have a hunt for the photos on the hard drive.
    Dundee, Pengy, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.