Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Anyone know about any changes to the law concerning AR's??

I'll join that baying mob, BUY IT!

No worries there as soon as I get my licence I'll be buying more than one that's for sure

Cheers Antz

It's all speculation at this point, and scaremongering/panic buying are bad, but if anything changes my money is further restrictions will impacts AR's, I'm guessing all A cat semi's of a particular "pattern" will be re-designated E cat; likely just AR's and maybe AK's. Otherwise I think there'll be a push for either all semi-auto centrefires that have detachable magazines, or all semi-auto centrefires, to be made E cat. I'm not usually one for panic buying but I did actually just recently buy an AR myself; I figure if there is a law change, regardless of how it goes there will be a bigger workload and more paperwork for the arms officers, and it currently looks like 8-10 weeks is the time it takes to get a standard license, so if I left it I could been waiting a while for a P2P. If you decide you want one nonetheless I recommend you support NZAR15 and not Gun City; Ken's business model, customer service, and advocacy are better (and no, I'm not being paid to say that).

The downside for me is now that I've got one I have to stop calling them Gay-R 15, semi-jam-omatic, you-can-tell-it's-Mattel, plastic-fantastic, poodle-shooters.
    veitnamcam, 308, sometimes and 2 others like this.

Yeah +1 for NZAR15 and no I have no connection with Ken other than being a happy customer

Like Workshop Innovations, they just give good service, pure and simple
    Dead is better likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Sounds like scare mongering to me. But I have heard something like that may be suggested.
    But that is still a long way from been law.

I have heard the rumour several times, but I think all of those times have been either on this or the other forum. As the rumour goes it is to be all semi autos rather than all ARs. And the reason given was that some of the drongo's involved currently cannot tell if a semi is e cat or a cat and are getting confused after the law suits and arguments. Practical issues will probably slam them into panic mode as can you imagine trying to locate EVERY semi auto 22 and make it E cat and issue the current owner an E endorsment? Rather than ask how many people out there have a semi auto, I would be inclined to ask " How many out there do not own a semi auto of any sort, shotgun, 22 or centrefire?" there cannot be very many as there are a LOT of 10/22s just to start with.....

On the upside, if they do make every semi an E cat then buying 25 or 50 round mags for your ruger will be easy, they will not bother making 7 shot mags for rifles and you can at least go back to the standard 10 or 30 shot mags on centrefire. It will completely negate the whole purpose of the E category to restrict access to "high capacity" (love the media description) as it will go back to pretty mush anyone can have one....as pretty much everyone will be E cat endorsed.

Downside is dont get burgled as the cops wont be able to turn up, they will all be too busy processing E cat license applications for the next millenia cos ths govt wont increase their budget to cope with the new rules.....

I think you will find that 22 semi autos will be left as is and not included.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Yeah +1 for NZAR15 and no I have no connection with Ken other than being a happy customer

Like Workshop Innovations, they just give good service, pure and simple
    Also Ken doesn't sell Chinese ARs or other brand ARs with Chinese bits inside them like the other retailer mentioned here has been known to do...
    tommygun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Also Ken doesn't sell Chinese ARs or other brand ARs with Chinese bits inside them like the other retailer mentioned here has been known to do...
    He has Colt ARs for $1699 at the moment, what a steal. I also have no connection other than being happy customer.

@Antz, the rumourmill is refering to the Firearms Community Advisory Forum, and the minutes from May :
    http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...s-may-2016.pdf

It was asked if an option that might be considered as a legislative amendment is making it a requirement to have an E endorsement for the possession of all semi-automatic firearms. Police advised that this was an option that was likely to be considered during the policy development process – treating MSSAs and sporterised MSSAs the same has been raised before – but this did not necessarily mean that it would end up being the preferred option.
    While you can get a bargain at GC from time to time, don't buy an AR from them as they're stupidly expensive. By all means spend the time looking, but nzar15.com have great prices, as do GunsNZ gunsnz.com and Tactical Imports tacticalimports.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    The downside for me is now that I've got one I have to stop calling them Gay-R 15, semi-jam-omatic, you-can-tell-it's-Mattel, plastic-fantastic, poodle-shooters.
    Haha Same for me. I swore I would never buy one... Then I had a shot with one, then they started making them in calibers I like. Well the rest is history.

What ever they do I figure the more people who have one the better. Why? Because it makes it more costly for them to do a buy back or if they make them all e-cat then there will be more e-cat people out there. A bigger voice for owners.
    tommygun and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I think you will find that 22 semi autos will be left as is and not included.
    Most likely, as will semi shotguns, way too many duck shooters to piss off. Like I said it'll be too much work to go after all of them. I've said it before but when I go through the arms book at work there are an average of about 25% semi-autos, and we are more of a 'traditional' store with few semi's compared to Gun City or others. Even if the conservative estimate from the 90's is accurate, 1 million A cat firearms could easily mean 250,000 semi's to track down. I highly doubt they'd want to waste time going after all of them.

I remember a member on the other forum working at a Hamills store, saying that semi automatic firearms had actually become their most sold guns, shotguns and .22's if I recall, but still.

To put my cards on the table, I have been involved in one way or another with Ken at NZAR15 since it's inception. It's been interesting to see how NZ hunters and shooters took to AR15's like ducks to water. Ken never has trouble moving stock, if anything his issue is keeping up with demand. If you buy a gun off Ken you will be looked after better than GC.

In saying all that, I like seeing more retailers on the scene, such as Gunsnz. It is also good to see more tradition oriented stores such as H&F, Reloaders etc carrying AR products. The more options for Kiwi's the better. Even Tipple of Gun City has actually represented us fairly well in the media spotlight. For all the faults and criticism they get, you have to pay credit where it is due.

We need to stand up and show everybody that AR rifles are legitimate hunting tools used by New Zealand shooters. Myself and most of my shooting friends use them successfully on all game. Some of them run them exclusively for hunting. Making them all MSSA's just because is idiotic. They clearly aren't causing a problem.
    Last edited by Beavis; 18-09-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Hi guys
    I've been shooting and hunting since I could walk. Just joined, based just north of Auckland, into fly in hunting trips, diving, spear fishing, outdoors. Own a number of firearms. Including an AR I'm setting up for smacking goats.
    Cheers, Bryan

Semi autos..

I bought an Eagle arms (armalite) off Ken at NZAR15.
    Smooth process, great value and happy with the deal overall.
    I don't know Ken other that that first deal..

Bryan, there are good numbers of them around Waitomo.
    More than in the North Auckland reserves.
    Welcome to Sako club.