Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Flying Domestic with a rifle and ammo

Do they insist on bolts removed from lever actions?
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    I'm flying with AirNZ and all my ammo is in little 20 round cardboard boxes that they came in, the last thing I want is for them to take it off me and dump it! Could I just take a snap lock container and put all the ammo in their original packaging into the snap lock containers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    don't stress about it mate, it is actually really easy and they do it all the time. i just have a small gripe about how the ammo is stored.

i reckon the person checking you in feeds off your confidence in you knowing how to transport your rifle. just front foot it, say it is a rifle (they need to know if rifle or shotgun for description), it is locked, the bolt is out, ammo is in original pack in a separate bag and you are good to go.

if you have lithium batteries (gps etc) keep them near the top of your bag so if they go in they don't have to completely unpack your bag. do the same with your ammo.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    Do they insist on bolts removed from lever actions?
    nope, nor shotguns, semis etc which sort of makes it pointless in the first place for a bolt action - but still sensible because it can be removed

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    So put your ammo in a plastic hard container.
    so you are confident a hard plastic case is acceptable to them in place of 'original' packaging? good to know if thats the case as my original packages i use over and again are getting a bit tatty

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    so you are confident a hard plastic case is acceptable to them in place of 'original' packaging? good to know if thats the case as my original packages i use over and again are getting a bit tatty
    Yip so long as they can not roll around and bang each other as they are worried that they will dicharge.
    Just use ammo cases from any sport shop.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    LOC likes this.

The ammo doesn't have to be in original factory package. That was the arguement I had with them. The check in guy insisted it had to be in factory packaging. Mine wasn't ( I don't even have any factory ammo), I sent the rifle and ammo back home with my wife.
    I rang Air NZ when I got to Wellington and complained. They agreed it didn't have to be in factory packaging, and apologised. I said I'm about to go on a 7 day hunt. What are you going to do about it? So they sent a taxi 1 hour to my house to pick up rifle and ammo, then put it on a later flight.
    Beaker, LOC and TianBotha like this.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The ammo doesn't have to be in original factory package. That was the arguement I had with them. The check in guy insisted it had to be in factory packaging. Mine wasn't ( I don't even have any factory ammo), I sent the rifle and ammo back home with my wife.
    I rang Air NZ when I got to Wellington and complained. They agreed it didn't have to be in factory packaging, and apologised. I said I'm about to go on a 7 day hunt. What are you going to do about it? So they sent a taxi 1 hour to my house to pick up rifle and ammo, then put it on a later flight.
    that would have been stressful looking down the barrel of a 7 day tramp!
    TianBotha likes this.