Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Language?

Language?

I'm not prudish by any standards, I can string a few together at times and I like the openness on this forum but seeing "cunt " in a thread title seems a bit off.I know geendogs style and personally I don't read anything he writes,my choice ,but when its in the title it takes away the option of avoiding it.
    Thoughts?
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

I swear like a deckhand myself, but yes, I agree with what you say. I agree the forum is nice in that it is un-censored, and I'm not suggesting that we censor posts like other forums, but a little bit of restraint would be good. In the written sense, you have to go out of your way to use those words as adjective in a phrase, so why would you other than to portray yourself a certain way?

I would never drop the 'c' bomb around my partner, or any woman for that matter, and certainly not in front of children. All of whom I'm sure read this forum.
    I work in forestry here on the east coast, with what are basically a pretty rough bunch, rougher than most here I dare say. And even these gentlemen wouldn't use these terms in front of women and children and if they did, they are quick to apologise. When it is just the boys, so to speak, the air is blue with vulgarities but there is a time and place for them.

To summarise, I don't think we should censor the forum, but I think it reflects on a person if they choose to show a little discretion.

Censoring is crap. Opening a thread and seeing a wall of swearing if that isn't your style is crap.

I suggest that if you're creating a thread that has that much language in it, you put [Swearing warning] or something in the thread title. Also think that we should keep the C and F bombs out of thread titles tbh.

I agree entirely with the above posters. I signed up here and posted in a couple of threads but then saw all the potty mouth stuff and went elsewhere.
    I belong to a few overseas forums and none of them seem to feel the need to talk filth to make themselves understood.

Us hunting/shooting blokes are such sensitive types.

This discussion is similar to one previously on another forum.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Us hunting/shooting blokes are such sensitive types
    This is the bit I find the most interesting. Do people feel the need need to overly permeate a sentence with cussing because it is seen as the thing to do amongst "blokes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    This is the bit I find the most interesting. Do people feel the need need to overly permeate a sentence with cussing because it is seen as the thing to do amongst "blokes"?
    Nah mate, you aren't a man unless you drink copious amounts of beer and swear heavily.

Or something like that.

I think it is just the way language is going and has been for a very long time.
    I F&C this, that and everything in between except in a public environment as does my wife (who works in the same industry as GD) . Around my parents I mind my P&Q's as they don't swear - respect to them. The bosses at work (male and female) say cnut this that and everything else. Sit down at a cafe with my brother who is a national sales manager and he is fcuk this and fcuk that while I sit there and cringe.
    Hands up anyone who hasn't said "ya fcukin cnut" or similar when stubbing a toe, banging a finger, got scoped, fell down a hillside loaded up with venison etc? I bet HM The Queen has said a few quiet words to herself when one of the Corgis has pissed or shat on her bed
    dogmatix likes this.

I agree Sako75, I also swear pretty heavily. And 'fuck' has become almost common usuage amongst all walks of life I agree.
    However, to swear in writing is actually more involved that using it as a qualifier or adjective in a spoken sentence - ie it takes more time and effort, and if you use it a liberally as some do in writing, it actually makes it harder to read as the sentence doesn't flow. Some of the greatest writers are known as greats because they managed to be so descriptive in so little words.

Josh, going by your prerequisites I guess I'm a bloke then

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I think it is just the way language is going and has been for a very long time.
    I F&C this, that and everything in between except in a public environment as does my wife (who works in the same industry as GD) . Around my parents I mind my P&Q's as they don't swear - respect to them. The bosses at work (male and female) say cnut this that and everything else. Sit down at a cafe with my brother who is a national sales manager and he is fcuk this and fcuk that while I sit there and cringe.
    Hands up anyone who hasn't said "ya fcukin cnut" or similar when stubbing a toe, banging a finger, got scoped, fell down a hillside loaded up with venison etc? I bet HM The Queen has said a few quiet words to herself when one of the Corgis has pissed or shat on her bed
    Welcome to Sako club.

My point isn't about swearing in itself, Iv been in construction smoko rooms for 30 years, I'm not offended by it and as Iv said my language is sometimes well below the belt, its a time and place thing and having a little self control, I just think its a bad look for any forum, far more so when its in the title.If the swearing pressure is so great you cant hold it back how about letting a few out verbally so you can at least get the title typed in before the flood gates burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yeah some do,some just do what their parents do,some don't even realize they are doing it. One fellow springs to mind that couldn't fit enough four lettered words into a sentence to satisfy his need so he would split words up and throw an extra one in the middle,like
    "f@#kin stayed at a f#@king Mo f#*king tel".
    Got the piss taken out of him endlessly.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Those who know me realise I'm not shy with the course language, but I really don't think that its okay to have it in a threads title.

The title is there for all to see, without opening & reading the thread.

I have noticed that the language on TV is getting worse & worse have heard C--t twice now.....& obviously F...... more times than I can remember.

My 2.5 cents for what it's worth.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Some valid points being made in this thread & I'm taking note of your concerns, remember the forum is still young & finding it's feet so it will take time to work out things such as whats seen as productive for the forum as a whole & what isn't

So for now Ive fixed the title of GD's thread
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

The seriously foul mouthed stuff is fast becoming a sub-culture here, and the forum has hardly been alive for a few months. In the absence of moderation, I think there is going to have to be some self moderation or this site will only appeal to a very limited audience. It might have already occurred?
    Spanners likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The seriously foul mouthed stuff is fast becoming a sub-culture here, and the forum has hardly been alive for a few months. In the absence of moderation, I think there is going to have to be some self moderation or this site will only appeal to a very limited audience. It might have already occurred?

I'll have to disagree there, we don't want to be jumping up and down every 5 minutes because there is a swear word in a post, there was enouth of that shit at f&h and it just pisses people off. I agree a thread title should be swearing free with a warning maybe in the title. I'd be disapointed if we couldnt have a bit of swearing every now and then, this is not a church, school etc etc. Its also in very few threads on this forum for the number of posts we have. I swear as good as the next person but reframe where required for the sake of being polite in public places.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money