Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Language?

I hope not Tahr, as was said by myself, Sneeze, K-G etc, none of us are shy of a blue letter word or three, but there is a place for it. On a public forum where absolutely anyone can read this, I think it could send a wrong message to potential users of this forum. I would hate to see a culture develop in a place that really could be great.

*edit* Crazyman your post just slipped in front of mine. I agree, I care not for the odd profanity in a post; I'm prone to it myself. I certainly wouldn't like to see it censored. But when you have people trying to fill every spare space in a post with expletives I don't think that's ok. Is it our place as members to pull a fellow member inline as you would in public, or is that a moderators job? That is the core question here.
    Last edited by Pointer; 26-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Self-censorship goes a long way, saying "fuck" a lot isn't particularly funny or clever once you're more than 4 years old and adds nothing of value

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I'll have to disagree there, we don't want to be jumping up and down every 5 minutes because there is a swear word in a post, there was enouth of that shit at f&h and it just pisses people off. I agree a thread title should be swearing free with a warning maybe in the title. I'd be disapointed if we couldnt have a bit of swearing every now and then, this is not a church, school etc etc. Its also in very few threads on this forum for the number of posts we have. I swear as good as the next person but reframe where required for the sake of being polite in public places.
    I think you miss-read me there. I am not suggesting any sort of moderation, or any sort of censorship. I'm suggesting that members should use a bit of discretion at times. Like in titles and like the exaggerated use of F & C as in Greendog's latest post.

Hear hear Tahr.

Discretion is fine, but not all are capable of it. If it is not a case of moderation or censorship, then is it our place as members to speak up, say perhaps as I would if you spoke like that around my partner or children?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The seriously foul mouthed stuff is fast becoming a sub-culture here, and the forum has hardly been alive for a few months. In the absence of moderation, I think there is going to have to be some self moderation or this site will only appeal to a very limited audience. It might have already occurred?
    Very true, I have seen a few forums which have gone that way and they are not worth posting in or reading.
    Censorship is something few of us wish to see and perhaps the way to go is that of several 'shooting and hunting' forums I have joined which require a new member to read and agree to 'conditions of membership' one of which is no profanity. Maybe that is something for the moderators here to consider?

As most people have already pointed out I dont think posts should be censored,but cussing in the title maybe a little over the top.
    Im not offended by a bit of swearing but i think it should be used appropriately and sparingly otherwise it loses its meaning and effectiveness.
    IL never forget the one and only time I have ever heard my Christian mother swear. It was certainly effective!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I also agree with sneeze, tahr , pointer and others, I mean who doesn't drop the odd swear word or two every now and then. Titles should be free of it though.
    Self censorehip , or/and peer censorship as is what is happening now is fine.And look the topic so far, no-one has turned this into a bun fight, it is reasoned discussion.
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I also agree with sneeze, tahr , pointer and others, I mean who doesn't drop the odd swear word or two every now and then. Titles should be free of it though.
    Self censorehip , or/and peer censorship as is what is happening now is fine.And look the topic so far, no-one has turned this into a bun fight, it is reasoned discussion.
    Good.
    I agree, a couple of good c*nts sorting it out.

sorry, couldn't help myself

I wont be taking any of you guys pheasant hunting with me, I use the cunt word every day, i think it is how you use it and the word b4 it that makes it good or bad..eg, pointers a good cunt, im a black cunt, my neigbours a gay cunt and the rest of you are just......peolpe i havnt got to know yet so i wont call you any type of cunt. Fuck did it again and got carried away

hahaha exactly bro, it's time and place. I'll swear till the cows come home but you won't hear it from me in front of your young'uns or your missus uplander.. call me old school but thats how it is
    Dead is better likes this.

well fuck theres cunts on every forum I like this one.I'm pissed and will read GDs stoiry tommorrow. These even fuckwits and cunts that have jumped ship off f&h just too stirr shit................................night fullas

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    If it is not a case of moderation or censorship, then is it our place as members to speak up, say perhaps as I would if you spoke like that around my partner or children?

OK, I agree about in the title. BUT go stand in the corner at ANY school yard, hell, just listen to the kids that walk past the front yard. They swear. When I was their age I swore. Kids do it, wives do it, parents do it. (I've heard them all) Hell the boy has been told it's fine around me, cause I'd much rather he does it properly. The ol' bat growls at me when I've been away to much cause when I get home it's real heavy, but fuck, it's just a part of life. So it doesn't look pretty written down. So what?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The seriously foul mouthed stuff is fast becoming a sub-culture here, and the forum has hardly been alive for a few months. In the absence of moderation, I think there is going to have to be some self moderation or this site will only appeal to a very limited audience. It might have already occurred?
    Agree.
    I think that we can all learn something from this jist of this thread and move on with no more being needed to be said.
    I have removed the offending thread for now. I get the humour and context of how it was used, but it seems that more than a few seem tothink its past a mark

Let all try and keep it reasonable guys, we dont want to moderate or have to jump on people - self moderation should be enough to keep things reasonable, but if you have any concerns PM one of the 'Forum leaders' (link at almost bottom of main page) and they will do somethign to clean it up if required and address any issues.
    We;re all mods here only some have a magic button that works
    DAF and graybeard like this.

I agree about the excess swearing and especially the C bomb in general and especially in titles.

With this forum you can add a member to your ignore list and you will not see their posts at all, brilliant
    DAF, madjon_ and Brian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve338 View Post
    I agree about the excess swearing and especially the C bomb in general and especially in titles.

With this forum you can add a member to your ignore list and you will not see their posts at all, brilliant
    Ah !.. found it. . as you say , a brilliant feature. .