Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: PRICE INCREASE

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I bought a rifle new off a store for $800. Decided I didn't actually want it a month later, and took it back in to see if they'd buy it back. I figured since they'd already made a profit on me the first time, it was never fired, and was in as-new condition, they'd cut me a good deal.

They offered me $500, for a rifle they had *just* sold me for $800, because they needed to make profit on it again. Retailers need to work on their ethics as well.
    As mentioned if you were offered a not quite new rifle (But maybe unfired) identical to a new one right beside it on the shelf when you first went in, would you pay the same $800 for the returned one or the new one?

How much "discount" would you need before you purchased the returned one. To be honest $500 is a deal they wont make much money on if any at all. The new one is $800 so I doubt they will be able to sell it for anything more than 25% off retail and more likely 35% or more before someone will pay for it. Add to this, the fact that a wholesaled one to replace the one they sold you will probably cost very close to what they paid you for it means they went beyond what I would call good service.

Secondly to the use of the word "Profit". If I buy a rifle / car / product for $1000 and sell it for $1500 I do not make $500 profit. That is mark up or margin. That mark up is income for the shop to pay for costs and expenses like rent, insurance, power, wages, GST. PROFIT is what little is left AFTER those have been paid.

For $1000 of goods, the first $150 disappears to the GST, that leaves $350 to pay for everything else.

A weeks expenses

Wages for one person @ $15.00 for 40 hours = $600
    Rent in an average to cheap building $1000-$1500 per week
    Power $125 per week (approx $500 per month give or take)

Even just these three bills mean sales have to exceed $9000 to $10,000 before anything else gets paid. And there are still many other bills to pay including the owner wages (or a return on investment)

Retail is much harder than what is being described.
    Spudattack, deer243, res and 1 others like this.

@Josh Understand your annoyance but these guys are right, if you purchase something and return it you are subject to the Consumer Grantees Act and apart from faulty or unsuitable goods they have no obligation to take back your rifle. The shop could have simply said No we don't want it. If your rifle wouldn't feed ammo or shoot properly then you should have had every reason to get a refund.

Everyone should have a look at the Consumer Grantees Act.

My annoyance has been getting some NZ retailers/wholesalers to follow this when there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    As mentioned if you were offered a not quite new rifle (But maybe unfired) identical to a new one right beside it on the shelf when you first went in, would you pay the same $800 for the returned one or the new one?

How much "discount" would you need before you purchased the returned one. To be honest $500 is a deal they wont make much money on if any at all. The new one is $800 so I doubt they will be able to sell it for anything more than 25% off retail and more likely 35% or more before someone will pay for it. Add to this, the fact that a wholesaled one to replace the one they sold you will probably cost very close to what they paid you for it means they went beyond what I would call good service.

Secondly to the use of the word "Profit". If I buy a rifle / car / product for $1000 and sell it for $1500 I do not make $500 profit. That is mark up or margin. That mark up is income for the shop to pay for costs and expenses like rent, insurance, power, wages, GST. PROFIT is what little is left AFTER those have been paid.

For $1000 of goods, the first $150 disappears to the GST, that leaves $350 to pay for everything else.

A weeks expenses

Wages for one person @ $15.00 for 40 hours = $600
    Rent in an average to cheap building $1000-$1500 per week
    Power $125 per week (approx $500 per month give or take)

Even just these three bills mean sales have to exceed $9000 to $10,000 before anything else gets paid. And there are still many other bills to pay including the owner wages (or a return on investment)

Retail is much harder than what is being described.
    add his ACC levies im guessing $1500-3000k +
    insurance , depending on his stock levels could be anything from 5k on up
    computer lease , software fee's, eftpos lease. $250 on up to whatever
    and the poor guys probably got anything from $500k to a couple of mil of stock on the place that someone had to pay for
    im surprised the poor guy makes a living at all.
    small_caliber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    @Josh Understand your annoyance but these guys are right, if you purchase something and return it you are subject to the Consumer Grantees Act and apart from faulty or unsuitable goods they have no obligation to take back your rifle. The shop could have simply said No we don't want it. If your rifle wouldn't feed ammo or shoot properly then you should have had every reason to get a refund.

Everyone should have a look at the Consumer Grantees Act.

My annoyance has been getting some NZ retailers/wholesalers to follow this when there is a problem.
    Absolutely I agree with this.

A quite while ago now I was in the same position with an un-mounted/perfectly as new scope.

I traded it for another one at a fair size loss as it was "second hand"

That didn't bother me much because such is life, after all it was my fault I changed my mind.

That was until I saw my "second hand" scope or the shelf at full price in its box .....

Character building stuff, especially being a regular client....

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Greg I learnt a long time ago that if the price you are going to sell something for isn't what you want, then it's best to keep it.......sure enough you'll most likely need it in the future and if selling something because you need the $$$ the thing your selling will quite often make the buyer a good profit.

If I sell something it's because someone is willing to pay the price I want........otherwise I keep it........simple.
    Yep for sure, I'm the same, as I mentioned it was quite a while ago now, probably 15+ years

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Did you make the retailer aware that you knew what he did?

If it was me I would've made a point of asking to look at the scope..........and while looking at it I would've hinted that I shouldn't have sold the one I had. Then offered him 10% more than he paid me for it......making sure I had the money to carry it out.
    I work on a swings & roundabouts principle.

I still deal with these guys now, they are a wholesaler, they don't have to supply me just as much as I don't have to buy or endorse their products.

Sometimes making an arse out of yourself may work short term but can be extremely costly long term especially in a small town, country, world...

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    But when it breaks /failed then of off to the local retailer / distributor and expect them to make it all good "under warrenty". Dont Get me started on this.

If you buy overseas do it with your eyes open as you assume the risk.

If you're happy with that / to do that then go for it but if you want to have your cake and eat it too its gonna end in tears
    If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this line trotted out......

It certainly hasn't been my experience with NZ Ammo and a Z5 Swarovski that I either bought second hand or on eBay, I told them I certainly didn't buy it new off them.
    The ocular lens got scratched....I sent to NZ Ammo, they sent it to Austria, it came back with a new lens, and a record of work done.
    Total cost $150.00, that's return freight to Europe, repairs, and GST payable here.

They hold spares for scopes made 25 yrs ago for cases such as this.

Like the Swarovski guy at the Sika show said, you pay for an investment, not a scope.

B

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this line trotted out......

It certainly hasn't been my experience with NZ Ammo and a Z5 Swarovski that I either bought second hand or on eBay, I told them I certainly didn't buy it new off them.
    The ocular lens got scratched....I sent to NZ Ammo, they sent it to Austria, it came back with a new lens, and a record of work done.
    Total cost $150.00, that's return freight to Europe, repairs, and GST payable here.

They hold spares for scopes made 25 yrs ago for cases such as this.

Like the Swarovski guy at the Sika show said, you pay for an investment, not a scope.

B
    Well, its like many things that have a good life time warranty. You can bring it back to any shop that deals in that product, don't even have to buy it from them.(could of got it overseas). They send it back and it get fixed with next to no cost to you. Some products just have a good warranty and buying it overseas isn't a problem at all. Badlands packs must be one of the best around, you can buy a secondhand one with a rip or something wrong with it from a garage sale , get it dirt cheap then send it back and get a new one or fixed as good as new again. Just like my mate did a year or so ago. Bought it for 20 dollars from a garage sale, the pack was worst for wear, had a good rip in the bottom of it and couple of zips stuff. Sent it away, got a brand new one back!! (plus the pack was around 10 years old lol)

res
    That's probably more to do with the company who made the product than the NZ importer.

The last importer I worked for had over thirty brands-one offered that level of backup. Others had "ok" arrangements in place for stuff not bought from us-eg we were just out our time but most just gave us a credit as a % of our imports to deal with warranty issues-and trust me,after you lose a few thousand $ a year fixing stuff you didn't sell you stop caring about doing stuff for the good of the brand
    JoshC, mikee, timattalon and 1 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    That's probably more to do with the company who made the product than the NZ importer.

The last importer I worked for had over thirty brands-one offered that level of backup. Others had "ok" arrangements in place for stuff not bought from us-eg we were just out our time but most just gave us a credit as a % of our imports to deal with warranty issues-and trust me,after you lose a few thousand $ a year fixing stuff you didn't sell you stop caring about doing stuff for the good of the brand

This......................is so true

I work for a distributor who has held the "brand" for nearly 50 years. We get the product cheaper but we also take the full liability for the warranty on the stuff we import so why would we fix stuff we didn't sell for free.
    People get pissed when we wont look at it "under warranty" however they could always send it back to the supplier they purchased it from where it would be covered by warranty and repaired at no cost to them
    timattalon likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I just want to enquire as to why Josh wanted to return his rifle. Was this because the rifle didn't suit his needs (ie pushed onto him) or was it an external cause? Not that the store has obligations after a full month but there is provision in the CGA for a small cooling off period on a lot of goods. Only a couple of days I think but don't quote me. There's always trademe Josh, people in NZ seem to think asking 99% of RRP is fine while providing no warranty at all, and the buyers seem to agree???? So weird.