Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 10 Post By Ryan
  • 2 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 2 Post By Dorkus
  • 6 Post By shift14
  • 3 Post By res
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: ANZAC Day 2017

ANZAC Day 2017

Got any photos? Where were you?
    Last edited by Ryan; 25-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Name:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  882.9 KB

I attended the AKL dawn service and then after a quiet bevvy at Tommy went on to Hobsonville RSA and fell in with my fellow Rhodesians / sons of Rhodesians. For those of you wondering about the relevance of Rhodesia and ANZAC Day, there isn't any.

The simple fact is that more than 20 years ago the Hobsonville RSA were the first RSA to really welcome Rhodesian veterans - since then, they've always been bestowed upon the Rhodesian vetereans the privilege of marching with - but behind - the NZ veterans on ANZAC Day, something I can say with absolute certainty is very much appreciated - especially given the importance of the day to New Zealand.

More than one Rhodesian was wearing NZ medals as well as their own. We are proud of our heritage and we our proud to serve this country that has been so welcoming to us.
    Last edited by Ryan; 25-04-2017 at 07:06 PM.

R93
    One of my old OC'S was Rhodesian Light Infantry.

Actually I run into a few kiwis during my career that served there.

One of them iirc survived an ambush where a claymore went off a few inches from his ankle. He suffered severe bruising and escaped the ambush with his life.
    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Well you guys wearing the uniforms have all taken the oath SO you are part of us now. Thanks for your service and I hope you all had a good ANZAC day.
    stingray and Ryan like this.

No photos but I did the dawn service in Linton with 1Bde. Certainly felt like the odd one out being the only uniformed member of the senior service present.
    Dundee and stingray like this.
    "holy sh*t, there's a deer"

I didn't attend a service, but the boy went to the dawn service in CHC. Our daughter will attend a service in Dublin.

I have Fathers service medals, and got them mounted. The guy that did them won't use the original ribbon, so got that divided up into 4 sets of mounted ribbons, one each for me and the kids and my sister.

I also have his programme for the ANZAC day service from April 1945 at RAF Dallachy in NE Scotland, for the ANZAC Strike Wing, 72 years ago.
    Broadcast to NZ and Australia via the BBC.

The kids are stoked with the ribbons, and copies of the letter that came with them noting the purpose of each and how they're to be worn, but know that it's to be on the right breast for them, never the left.

B
    madjon_, Dundee, EeeBees and 3 others like this.

I attended the dawn service at my grandads cowshed that is one of the balloted farms after WW1. I then put a pack on my back and marched into the hills with a rifle.Heard one deer roar but couldn't coax him out. Finished the evening on the river and landed a small rainbow.

I have spoken to you before Ryan about the Rhodesian war and my cousin that fought that war told me many storeys about the war.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...7&font=cursive

res
    Name:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.08 MBName:  IMG_2380.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  602.4 KBName:  IMG_2381.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.12 MB

Wife and I at the service at the Australian residence in Shanghai, my wife was he MC for it. Tosting those that served/serve with rum filled coffee at 6.30am at the breakfast after the service-crocodile bangas and rum is a hell of a way to start the day
    Dundee, stingray and Maca49 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I agree @res thos croc bangers and burgers are a mean feed
    res likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...7&font=cursive

Did the dawn parade in greymouth -caught up with quite a few of my old TF(2CantNMWC)mob. I still proudly don the caubean&hackle our former ceremonial headgear. Theres still a few of us in CHCH that don it each ANZAC day .Very satisfying to have kids and local service folkc ome up and ask what it represents.
    well done greymouth RSA-great hospitality and service .id have liked to join the boys on an old style ANZACpatrol but had to work .
    Incidentally any ex westcoast 2Cantnmwc members on here -an alpha coy reunion is apparently being organised next year-if past is anything to go by should be a cracker occasion.

In my family my Dad never spoke of the war nor attended dawn parades. However, now my youngest daughter gets along to the dawn parade (genuine dawn jobby, not the 10:00 ones that are now common) in the town where she lives. Great stuff that this is happening with her generation and the later generations.

I recently applied for and received my Dad's war records. Very enlightening, given the places he served and knowing some of the events that occurred, I can now understand a bit why he chose to never talk about his experiences. Just the way a lot of men were in those days I guess instead of letting it all come out.
    stingray likes this.