Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: different kind of project

  1. #1
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    2,216

    different kind of project

    so im the kind of person that likes to have a project of some kind going this one is a bit different to what i usually do as i know stuff all about it except basic replace parts and then what ok so the exs laptop crapped out she doesnt want it and was going to chuck it but me coming from a galaxy far far away in a time when we tended to fix things and use it again want to make it go again so ive got as far as figuring out the hard drive is fukd im going to go to pb tech and get a cheap hard drive and put it in thats the plan so far any one know if i need to do anything else or is there other stuff you need to do to make it go obviously its a bit hard to tell if you havnt got it sitting in front of you but thats where im up to so far

  2. #2
    Member SlowElliot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    193
    Replacing the hardware is easy.
    But once you have the new one in you will have to reinstall windows from a dvd or usb.
    Once that's done you will have to reinstall the software drivers, you will need another computer to download the drivers as the laptop is unlikely to be able to connect to the Internet without them.
    I've done it many times, it can be a real hassle but better that buying a new one.

  3. #3
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    10,067
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowElliot View Post
    Replacing the hardware is easy.
    But once you have the new one in you will have to reinstall windows from a dvd or usb.
    Once that's done you will have to reinstall the software drivers, you will need another computer to download the drivers as the laptop is unlikely to be able to connect to the Internet without them.
    I've done it many times, it can be a real hassle but better that buying a new one.
    I've been known to boot off a potable linux disto on a pen drive to download the drivers from the same machine onto a second pen drive if only the one machine is available.
    Solo likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  4. #4
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    2,216
    OK this is going to get interesting I've got another computer I can down load or whatever stuff I need to do

  5. #5
    Member stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Clarks Beach, (South of) Auckland
    Posts
    1,232
    Laptop make and model? Should be on a label underneath.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    2,216
    Its a HP probook 6555b I think most people will say its not worth fixing but you could say that about guns cars or anything really

  7. #7
    Member SlowElliot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    193
    Are you sure it's the hard drive?
    What are the symptoms?

  8. #8
    Member Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Te Awamutu, Waikato
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I've been known to boot off a potable linux disto on a pen drive to download the drivers from the same machine onto a second pen drive if only the one machine is available.
    Where are you that is so remote as to not have a second computer/phone/tablet available, but still has internet? That is an impressive effort.

  9. #9
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    2,216
    It has an error message that says its not there and the trouble shooting thing can't find it either

  10. #10
    Member SlowElliot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    193
    Yip sounds like hard drive to me.
    Try the instructions in the following link first.
    Under "restoring factory settings."
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/27....html?page=155

    Sometimes a restore is all they need.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,181
    i will never again grace pb tech with my presence, useless lying greedy bastards

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i will never again grace pb tech with my presence, useless lying greedy bastards
    Sounds like a story there....?

    I feel the same about Quality Car Audio....

  13. #13
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    10,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Where are you that is so remote as to not have a second computer/phone/tablet available, but still has internet? That is an impressive effort.
    Has the advantage that the Linux Distros tend to have all the latest drivers included. You can then check the drivers that it uses to identify the right ones to download for windblows. Most of the time you will go to the manufacturers site and they will have a list of about three totally different devices available for one model. If you download them all then it can take a lot longer. Also quicker than unpacking my laptop and packing it away again at the end.

    If you want to find out the easiest and quickest way to do something, give the task to a lazy bugger like me.
    Solo likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  14. #14
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    10,067
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    It has an error message that says its not there and the trouble shooting thing can't find it either
    Yep, that sounds like a shot disk. I've replaced heaps of them. If they don't want to pay me to get everything up and running again they usually buy a new one and give me the old machine. I then fix the old one and give it to someone that could use it but can't afford to buy one. Easy job.
    Savage1 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  15. #15
    Member Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Te Awamutu, Waikato
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Has the advantage that the Linux Distros tend to have all the latest drivers included. You can then check the drivers that it uses to identify the right ones to download for windblows. Most of the time you will go to the manufacturers site and they will have a list of about three totally different devices available for one model. If you download them all then it can take a lot longer. Also quicker than unpacking my laptop and packing it away again at the end.

    If you want to find out the easiest and quickest way to do something, give the task to a lazy bugger like me.
    I think my way is lazier. Just grab the wifi card drivers and let Windows Update figure out the rest while I go and do something fun
    Gerbs likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. different kind of hunting
    By HNTMAD in forum Hunting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19-01-2016, 10:41 PM
  2. Finally did it...kind of
    By jord in forum Hunting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24-04-2014, 05:06 PM
  3. What kind of BFG is this? Cool picture anyway.
    By Chupacabra in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-11-2013, 05:16 PM
  4. I kind of want this for reasons
    By Beavis in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
  5. Hares not the pubic kind
    By Dundee in forum Varminting and Small Game Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!