Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree31852Likes

Thread: Here and now

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm watching the cricket on Sky fan-pass, whilst drinking beer and conducting other internet activities from the comfort of my study. @jakewire

F...the cricket.
    Dundee and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    F...the cricket.
    Hear Hear!
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

So its story time. Today I went out with a .308 I just bought off the forum, and my .223. I went to sight in the 308 at my usual place just out of Hamilton, and came across some other friendly folks having a bit of a range day. A family and their kid, nice folk. Was a bit apologetic to be crashing their range time but never mind always nice to meet friendly faces. Anyways I got the rifle kind of sighted in but due to the family there I was not able to use the full 140 yards to get my rifle sighted in properly/know how and where it's shooting.

Oh well no big deal still got the .223, carried on to destination number 2, A farm down a bit further south that has a few turkeys and red deer running free. We made our way up the race on the quad and spotted a flock(?) of turkeys. I got down on the ground and shot at them prone from around 80 yards, puff! big cloud of feathers. Retrieved the bird and it looks like I shot the heart right out of its back, nice clean kill and breasts and drumsticks all intact! Happy days!
    Well I figured the gunshot would have scared off any deer around, but there was nothing to lose in sitting on the hill watching the sun go down and keeping an eye out. Chilling on the hill we spotted across the other side of the gully (on another farm, no permission there) probably about 600 yards away 4 deer, does feeding. At this point I was a very happy chappy, if I get to see them, its a good day. And there's no way I would be comfortable taking a shot at that distance so I don't need to worry about "hmm maybe I should give it a go" or "maybe I should have taken the shot".

here's a pic, cause without pics it didn't happen:
    Name:  SAM_0033.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  703.7 KB

Can you see them?
    they are here:
    Name:  SAM_0036.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  624.8 KB

Still can't see em? sorry, they are there, it was the best the camera could do in the low light.

Anyways, when it was dark enough that we figured we couldn't do much else we started walking back to the quad. As we got to the fence I looked across at the bush line and saw a large brown blob against the black of the pine forest. I brought my rifle up to my eye, and peered through the scope. Stag. BIG Stag (by my standards anyways, I'm a newbie and reds are big animals) Probably 10 points on his antlers standing there looking at us. I'm guessing he couldn't make out what we were and was just having a pause before hopping the fence and having a feed in the paddock.
    I lent against the fence post of the fence we were climbing over and tried to get a steady shot. I paused for a good 5 seconds or so, just to try to get the heart rate to cool it a bit, aimed for the neck and pulled the trigger. My rifle is zeroed to shoot bang on at 200 yards, and the shot was 200 yards but I have only shot it at 140, this is from calculators. In the gloom I lost sight of the deer after the shot. My buddy says that the deer jumped at the shot and ran off into the bush. We got over there as fast as possible, getting a bloody big fright from a pheasant that we startled on the way over (nerves were shot by that time) and had a look around. With the wimpy torches at hand we could not find any sign of blood. Sadly that's about the end of the story for today. We are going to go back out there in full daylight with my GSP pupp and see if we got him. The shot felt good. But I just don't know. We will see tomorrow.

Going back to the start of the story, I REALLY wish that I had got that .308 sighted in adequately. He was side on, a shot to the vitals would have been the go had I been using a bigger caliber. In a way the trip went from a awesome day, to a bitter sweet hunting trip. If I missed, I m happy. If the animal has died cleanly 50 meters down the hill, I'm happy. I just hope hes not in pain. Not sure if I will be sleeping well tonight, adrenaline buzz is still going. Tell me what you would have done in my shoes?

*queue cliffhanger*
    Last edited by Guypie; 19-03-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    veitnamcam, Solo and 223nut like this.

Awesome story, but definitely invest in binoculars or a monocular. Pointing your rifle at stuff to identify it is not a good habit to get in to.

Central Otago - formally 30yrs in the Buller
    lets hope ya find him . . . 223 should do the business at 200yds, would be a good idea to check at 200 and actually see where the bullet is landing on paper, some of the cheaper ammo is slow

good luck . . R
    veitnamcam likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Awesome story, but definitely invest in binoculars or a monocular. Pointing your rifle at stuff to identify it is not a good habit to get in to.
    Cheers, yeah I agree about the binoculars. Funny thing, I accidentally left them with the family who was having a range day at the start of the story. just put them down in his ute after spotting shots. They were kind enough to leave them with the farmer who text me as I was on my way out to location #2

I was always told Turkey's taste like ass in any month that has an "r" in it... ??

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I was always told Turkey's taste like ass in any month that has an "r" in it... ??
    Months with an R in them are supposedly the months where the skin has the most down feathers and are difficult to get a cleanly prepped bird.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

crickets
    Step on my toes I'll jump on your head

The farmer said there aren't many crickets around at the moment compared to how many there are usually at this time of year. Anyway, we will see. They live next to a corn field so I would hope that it had been guzzling maize.

Guess where @Gibo
    Name:  IMG_0796.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  77.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

MSL
    guess where @Gibo
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guypie View Post
    So its story time. Today I went out with a .308 I just bought off the forum, and my .223. I went to sight in the 308 at my usual place just out of Hamilton, and came across some other friendly folks having a bit of a range day. A family and their kid, nice folk. Was a bit apologetic to be crashing their range time but never mind always nice to meet friendly faces. Anyways I got the rifle kind of sighted in but due to the family there I was not able to use the full 140 yards to get my rifle sighted in properly/know how and where it's shooting.

Oh well no big deal still got the .223, carried on to destination number 2, A farm down a bit further south that has a few turkeys and red deer running free. We made our way up the race on the quad and spotted a flock(?) of turkeys. I got down on the ground and shot at them prone from around 80 yards, puff! big cloud of feathers. Retrieved the bird and it looks like I shot the heart right out of its back, nice clean kill and breasts and drumsticks all intact! Happy days!
    Well I figured the gunshot would have scared off any deer around, but there was nothing to lose in sitting on the hill watching the sun go down and keeping an eye out. Chilling on the hill we spotted across the other side of the gully (on another farm, no permission there) probably about 600 yards away 4 deer, does feeding. At this point I was a very happy chappy, if I get to see them, its a good day. And there's no way I would be comfortable taking a shot at that distance so I don't need to worry about "hmm maybe I should give it a go" or "maybe I should have taken the shot".

here's a pic, cause without pics it didn't happen:
    Attachment 65676

Can you see them?
    they are here:
    Attachment 65677

Still can't see em? sorry, they are there, it was the best the camera could do in the low light.

Anyways, when it was dark enough that we figured we couldn't do much else we started walking back to the quad. As we got to the fence I looked across at the bush line and saw a large brown blob against the black of the pine forest. I brought my rifle up to my eye, and peered through the scope. Stag. BIG Stag (by my standards anyways, I'm a newbie and reds are big animals) Probably 10 points on his antlers standing there looking at us. I'm guessing he couldn't make out what we were and was just having a pause before hopping the fence and having a feed in the paddock.
    I lent against the fence post of the fence we were climbing over and tried to get a steady shot. I paused for a good 5 seconds or so, just to try to get the heart rate to cool it a bit, aimed for the neck and pulled the trigger. My rifle is zeroed to shoot bang on at 200 yards, and the shot was 200 yards but I have only shot it at 140, this is from calculators. In the gloom I lost sight of the deer after the shot. My buddy says that the deer jumped at the shot and ran off into the bush. We got over there as fast as possible, getting a bloody big fright from a pheasant that we startled on the way over (nerves were shot by that time) and had a look around. With the wimpy torches at hand we could not find any sign of blood. Sadly that's about the end of the story for today. We are going to go back out there in full daylight with my GSP pupp and see if we got him. The shot felt good. But I just don't know. We will see tomorrow.

Going back to the start of the story, I REALLY wish that I had got that .308 sighted in adequately. He was side on, a shot to the vitals would have been the go had I been using a bigger caliber. In a way the trip went from a awesome day, to a bitter sweet hunting trip. If I missed, I m happy. If the animal has died cleanly 50 meters down the hill, I'm happy. I just hope hes not in pain. Not sure if I will be sleeping well tonight, adrenaline buzz is still going. Tell me what you would have done in my shoes?

*queue cliffhanger*
    At 200y if you connected with the top half of the neck with an expanding bullet it should have dropped at the shot(possibly get up again if not connected with the spine)

If you were aiming at the front of the shoulder/start of the neck then whole different story/there is a lot of non fatal or slow death zone in that area.
    rossi.45 and Guypie like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Follow up from yesterday's story. Had a look around, no blood or hair anywhere to be seen. I think in the heat of the moment I must have just cocked up the shot. I guess he lives to see another day. Maybe I will see him again. Anyways, my hunting buddy got himself a turkey today so we have one each. Was a sweet shot, 150 yards and dropped it well. Going to get my .308 sorted so I can go for a shoulder/chest shot next time. Got a few different ammo's to try so will see what groups well.

VC - I was aiming mid/upper neck, would rather miss than wound.
    veitnamcam likes this.

If you hit there would of been blood, how much depends on where and what with. No mates with a deer dog to help you? also they don't always run away after they've been hit where you think they would go.
    Step on my toes I'll jump on your head