Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 529
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: I wanna make beer?

  1. #106
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    James

    Every step is a learning experience.

    Good luck with the finished product.

    Cheers
    Pete

  2. #107
    Member Hunt4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Katikati
    Posts
    624
    Check out the Facebook page "NZ Homebrewers"

  3. #108
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,216
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

  4. #109
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Good to see your progress James.

    1060 is getting up there (around 6% ABV), what type of beer are you brewing? What was your target OG, when did your take the reading? Was it before or after you added the water to the end of your boil?

    Nice setup btw, those stainless steel tea balls are good for hop editions too. I like the immersion chiller design.

    Name:  2227.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  53.8 KB
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  5. #110
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Good to see your progress James.

    1060 is getting up there (around 6% ABV), what type of beer are you brewing? What was your target OG, when did your take the reading? Was it before or after you added the water to the end of your boil?

    Nice setup btw, those stainless steel tea balls are good for hop editions too. I like the immersion chiller design.

    Attachment 30439
    The recipe was from @Shelly. A clone of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. No idea on target OG I'm just recipe cook. I took the reading after adding the cold water so it is what I have in the fermenter now.
    I need to get my head around the size of my grain bill and accurate additions to meet design rather than good luck. For only the second brew Im happy with where I'm at. I did buy iBrewmaster for my iPad but it is a touch confusting for now.
    I do have a lot of sediment at present. I was thinking I could buy a 5gal carboy and rack to secondary after a couple of weeks? Seams a popular option with the stuff I see on uTube. There are pros and cons in doing this I understand.

  6. #111
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    The recipe was from @Shelly. A clone of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. No idea on target OG I'm just recipe cook. I took the reading after adding the cold water so it is what I have in the fermenter now.
    I need to get my head around the size of my grain bill and accurate additions to meet design rather than good luck. For only the second brew Im happy with where I'm at. I did buy iBrewmaster for my iPad but it is a touch confusing for now.
    I do have a lot of sediment at present. I was thinking I could buy a 5gal carboy and rack to secondary after a couple of weeks? Seams a popular option with the stuff I see on uTube. There are pros and cons in doing this I understand.
    I use Beer Alchemy.

    Yeah, once it stops fermenting I would mix up some gelatin and add it to the fermenter (sterilize water/mixing instruments first of course). Leave it for a couple of days for it to settle out and/or chuck the whole fermenter in the fridge for a few days and then either rack to secondary or if it was me I would just siphon off the top into bottles.

    When you added your water at the end of your boil? Did you leave it to boil for 10-15 minutes to sterilize?
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  7. #112
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Also, if you want to join a more active homebrewers group and ask questions, join 'Huttbrewer' on fb (assuming your have fb). Theres some good buggers on there that will be able to answer many of your questions and/or offer advice

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/huttbrewer/
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  8. #113
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,216
    I added tap water straight into the fermenter to top up to 20L. Maybe 23l will have been a better volume?
    I was thinking as I had added tap water straight into the last kit beer I made it should also be OK here. I did think it may be a source of contamination though.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

  9. #114
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I added tap water straight into the fermenter to top up to 20L. Maybe 23l will have been a better volume?
    I was thinking as I had added tap water straight into the last kit beer I made it should also be OK here. I did think it may be a source of contamination though.
    Yeah it is usually a pretty big no no to add water like that straight to the fermenter, you should always sterilize it first. You will learn fast once you get your first infection, all that hard work down the drain. It hurts haha.

    You will always loose a bit of volume in the boil, generally this is calculated and acceptable. People do sometimes add sterile water the the boil to bring down the OG closer to their target OG, but most people leave it. If you add too much water it could effect the mouthfeel/body of your beer.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  10. #115
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Yeah it is usually a pretty big no no to add water like that straight to the fermenter, you should always sterilize it first. You will learn fast once you get your first infection, all that hard work down the drain. It hurts haha.

    You will always loose a bit of volume in the boil, generally this is calculated and acceptable. People do sometimes add sterile water the the boil to bring down the OG closer to their target OG, but most people leave it. If you add too much water it could effect the mouthfeel/body of your beer.
    Fingers crossed then. Need to put that one into the filing cabinet.

    I think my next beer will be full grain, probably BIAB so this should not be another hurdle. Next decision will be what to brew.

    I did sample another bottle of the first brew and it has lost a lot, if not all of the background yeast taste (yay!). It's quite drinkable now. I will wait for week 4 to ask a few mates around to taste test for me.

  11. #116
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Yeah

    Grain to glass is a whole other ball game, but a rewarding one. Just make sure you hit your temperatures and set time periods and you'll be right!

    Kit brews always seems to have that yeast/home brew taste.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  12. #117
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    James

    As said it's very important to thoroughly sterilise everything including your water.

    Water chemistry, particularly knowing what your water chemistry is composed of, is also very important to the taste of your finished product.

    Here's a good article that can explain the desired and not so desired characteristics of water chemistry when brewing beer.

    Brewing Water – Hard or Soft? | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith

    Cheers
    Pete

  13. #118
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    James

    As said it's very important to thoroughly sterilise everything including your water.

    Water chemistry, particularly knowing what your water chemistry is composed of, is also very important to the taste of your finished product.

    Here's a good article that can explain the desired and not so desired characteristics of water chemistry when brewing beer.

    Brewing Water – Hard or Soft? | Home Brewing Beer Blog by BeerSmith

    Cheers
    Pete
    Bro, I live in Taradice. Our water is perfect .

  14. #119
    Member Raging Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Made a little wort chiller today.
    My math was OK and it fits well

    Could be a touch light on capacity with only 8m of tube. Needs an acid wash to clean it up as well.
    Just had another look at your immersion chiller? Wheres the outlet? It seems to only have a water intake or am I missing something?
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

  15. #120
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Bro, I live in Taradice. Our water is perfect .
    Hahahahaha

    True.

    Cheers
    Pete

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What To Do When You Run Out Of Beer
    By muzza in forum Off topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-06-2014, 06:21 PM
  2. Anyone wanna tag along
    By big_foot in forum Hunting
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 22-06-2014, 09:26 AM
  3. I'd like to buy this man a beer
    By stingray in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM
  4. Wanna Go To Mars ?
    By muzza in forum Off topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  5. Beer bread
    By Dundee in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 12:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!