Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Feebz
  • 1 Post By MightyBoosh

Thread: Lasik & other laser eye surgery.

Lasik & other laser eye surgery.

Looking for opinions and feedback from people who have had Lasik, Lasek or PRK laser surgery.
    I currently need to wear glass for seeing distance and have an extreme love hate relationship with contact lenses.

Went for a test and was told despite having thin corneas I was suitable for Lasik, but have the choice of PRK as well.
    Hoping to hear some opinions from folks who have had either done and wanting to hear any side effects you have had since.
    Not expecting horror stories, just the likes of dry eyes or light sensitivity etc.

Ejected
    I know four people that have had it done recently (as in the last 5 years, modern tech etc).

Three are stoked and reckon it was life changing. One wishes he didn't have it done, but it's not the end of the world. He's a mountain biker and now has trouble with his eyes adjusting to the patchy light under trees, and the quick changes between sunlight and tree cover. Peripheral vision is not as good, blotchy and blurry. Dunno if it matters but he's a bit older, in his 40s, the rest had it done in their 20s.

I'm booked in for iLasik at The Eye Institute next week. Mid 30s, thick corneas, prescription -2.00 - they said I'm a textbook case so hoping for a good outcome. Staff & facilities are top notch. Could let you know in a few weeks.
    Gerbs likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    My partners son in his early 20's had his done 2-3 months ago, he was hopeless with out glasses and they were real jam jar type and he said it was life changing for him. All done in about 60 sec and no issues at all. Fendalton Eye Clinic was his place.

does it matter what age you are i.e 50yrs and what sort of costs
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I'd love to ditch the glasses. I promised myself I'd get it done when I had enough spare money. Keep buying guns though, so not likely to happen!
    hilz77 likes this.

I got lasik done a few years ago - I used to wear contacts. My prescription wasn't extreme tho. The process is not pleasant - but not really painful either. I had an astigmatism so my eyesight wasn't great at any distance. I would say my eyes are as good now as when I had contacts that were sitting and working correctly. But not perfect - though I notice I can consistently see better than most other people - like at the gun range. The age thing always catches up to you - and you will eventually still loose your short sightedness - so regardless of the lasik you will still end up needing reading glasses for example. I might have a slight sensitivity to bright light but no other side effects. If you can afford it it is worth doing in my opinion
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I've always been told not to consider it until your eyes have stopped changing which they tell you is at about 21 yrs old. My brother (28) is still getting new strength prescriptions so each person is different i guess. Have a mate that got it done and she thinks its the best thing out. Does say she can never get away with not wearing sunnies though. Says everything is very bright now and lights at night seem to strain the eyes more too. She would get it done again though. Me, im not too sure i would

3 of mates have had it done and they all reckon it was the best money they ever spent
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Had iLasik done 3 years ago (at age 29). Love the outcome. Highly recommend you do it. Had the procedure at the Eye Institute in Auckland.

My prescription was -6.5 and astigmatisms in both eyes. Apparently a couples of years earlier, they would not have been able to perform the surgery. The technology is improving rapidly.

The $5.5k cost included: Procedure, hotel accommodation for the day/night, 12 months of optometrist checkups, free repeat of the procedure if not 100%. Combining all that vs years of expensive contacts and glasses, plus all the hassle, it was a no-brainer.

Cons: Slight sensitivity to bright lights, maybe slightly reduced night time vision, dry eyes for 6 months after (had dry eye issue with contacts anyway, so not worried).
    Pros: Freedom! 20/20 eagle vision. No hassles of wearing contacts / glasses anymore (wore them for 20 years).

The doctor did say that they love having younger blokes in (20's-early 30's) who will get the maximum time out of the surgery before their eyes naturally deteriorate with age. The recovery/outcome is often better and faster due to this also.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    @Gapped axe
    Had mine done 10 years ago in Perth, WA before heading off to Italy 7 weeks later (57 at the time), to rid motorcycles in Tuscany.
    Right eye (no 'Maraetai' jokes PLEASE), excellent vision - peripheral, colour perception and clarity.
    Left eye - a hiccup with the laser (wasn't recharging quick enough for last two cuts), not so good as local anaesthetic had started to go away.
    Bit painful, but have enjoyed excellent vision with both eyes open ever since.
    Using scope with both eyes open takes a while to learn, but getting much, much better.
    Not seeing glass frames in your peripheral vision is a huge bonus.
    Left eye can be a bit blurry and ache, after reading/iPad/ computer for too long (2-2 1/2 hours), with AUD10 Chinese glasses (+1.5 rated).
    But the freedom from having to wear glasses/contacts is fantastic.
    If you think you should have it done, get an ophthalmic surgeon to do the measurements, as most of the LASIK style operations depend on the computer program to measure, adjust the laser and 'shotfiring' time.
    There is a definite smell - think fire roasted meat being burnt.
    2-3 weeks of antibiotics and protective lenses - good to go.
    Cheers

Thannks for replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Had iLasik done 3 years ago (at age 29). Love the outcome. Highly recommend you do it. Had the procedure at the Eye Institute in Auckland.

My prescription was -6.5 and astigmatisms in both eyes. Apparently a couples of years earlier, they would not have been able to perform the surgery. The technology is improving rapidly.

The $5.5k cost included: Procedure, hotel accommodation for the day/night, 12 months of optometrist checkups, free repeat of the procedure if not 100%. Combining all that vs years of expensive contacts and glasses, plus all the hassle, it was a no-brainer.

Cons: Slight sensitivity to bright lights, maybe slightly reduced night time vision, dry eyes for 6 months after (had dry eye issue with contacts anyway, so not worried).
    Pros: Freedom! 20/20 eagle vision. No hassles of wearing contacts / glasses anymore (wore them for 20 years).

The doctor did say that they love having younger blokes in (20's-early 30's) who will get the maximum time out of the surgery before their eyes naturally deteriorate with age. The recovery/outcome is often better and faster due to this also.
    Has the dry eyes disappeared now after 3 years? Do you think the light sensitivity and night vision are much worse than they were before the surgery?
    When I wear contacts I often get dry eyes and light sensitivity anyway, and often they are uncomfortable to wear, so I'm thinking that I can't be much worse off and the freedom of glasses and contacts sounds amazing!

My prescription is very low -1.25 and have a slight astigmatism, and being 24 should be a prime candidate.

Anyone gone for the PRK method, or know of anyone who has?
    Seem's too be a slightly safer (not that lasik is unsafe) procedure, with less chance of dry eyes and other side effects, just have a much longer recovery period.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Thannks for replies guys.

Has the dry eyes disappeared now after 3 years? Do you think the light sensitivity and night vision are much worse than they were before the surgery?
    When I wear contacts I often get dry eyes and light sensitivity anyway, and often they are uncomfortable to wear, so I'm thinking that I can't be much worse off and the freedom of glasses and contacts sounds amazing!

My prescription is very low -1.25 and have a slight astigmatism, and being 24 should be a prime candidate.

Anyone gone for the PRK method, or know of anyone who has?
    Seem's too be a slightly safer (not that lasik is unsafe) procedure, with less chance of dry eyes and other side effects, just have a much longer recovery period.
    I hated wearing contacts as i was constantly putting drops in to keep them lubricated. The dry eyes has pretty much dissapeard. A small bottle of eye drops lasts me at least 6months now.

I work in an air conditioned office and do a lot of computer design work which gives me eye fatigue at the end of a long day. But nothing different to when I wore glasses.

I was also sensitive to sunlight before also so no difference really, other than i can wear sunnies whenever i want now. I don't have to plan when.

Night time is probably better for me now compared to before as i was pretty blind anyway. Have no issues with hunting and actually see a lot better than a lot of ny mates.

So it sounds like you are similar to me with dry eyes, hating contavts, etc. So you shouldn't be too fazed by the short term side effects. But you will love the freedom that the surgery gives you.

If you want to chat a bit further, send me a PM.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction