Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Pies

  1. #16
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    4,500
    I've never had as good pies as when I moved here (NZ).

    South African pies are tasty but you need to look long and hard or maybe go to Natal province to find that doesn't have shit-house flaky pastry that just leaves crumbs all over your lap and driving position. Need something that's going to maintain its structural integrity and have gravy that's sufficiently viscous not to fucken drip everywhere at a moment's hesitation. Obviously the filling needs to be meat - not meat byproducts! Needs to be ergonomic - i.e. hold in one hand. To me, a pie is primarily a convenience food not a sit down food.

    Ask my wife - I've been on a pie quest since Pie Mania shut down in central Auckland. Sounds like the west coast is the place to be as far as pies are concerned...

    No peas should be a mandate - Cornish pasties are common in South Africa, fucking don't like that shit!

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I've never had as good pies as when I moved here (NZ).

    South African pies are tasty but you need to look long and hard or maybe go to Natal province to find that doesn't have shit-house flaky pastry that just leaves crumbs all over your lap and driving position. Need something that's going to maintain its structural integrity and have gravy that's sufficiently viscous not to fucken drip everywhere at a moment's hesitation. Obviously the filling needs to be meat - not meat byproducts! Needs to be ergonomic - i.e. hold in one hand. To me, a pie is primarily a convenience food not a sit down food.

    Ask my wife - I've been on a pie quest since Pie Mania shut down in central Auckland. Sounds like the west coast is the place to be as far as pies are concerned...

    No peas should be a mandate - Cornish pasties are common in South Africa, fucking don't like that shit!
    I agree with most of that, apart from the pastie. The proper Cornish with Swede and suet crust is rather good... the kiwi version of minced meat with carrots and peas are shit.
    Pengy likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  3. #18
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Jeez most of you fellahs are too flash for me
    I like a plain old Jimmys Mutton pie.
    Jimmys lamb shank beats their mutton ones I reckon

    Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Steak , bacon and cheese from Andersons Pie shop in Hawera
    Used to be my go to as an apprentice engineer just around the corner from here. Moved south years ago and found that they do pies a lot better in the south island.

    Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,223
    Ok, here's the thing: Two sections, hot pie and cold pie.

    Hot pie - One from the Food Room on New North Rd in Kingsland. Absolute wallet raper at $8-9, but my god they are good (this is real 'special occasion' stuff). The difference between a rubbish Big Ben and a nice pie, this is to the nice pie. At the very least. Fillet steak, buffalo mozzarella, the whole nine yards.

    Cold pie - A 'correct' Melton Mowbray pork pie - two contenders, 1) one from the Westmere Butcher, lots of hot english, with beer. 2) The guy out the end of the Whangaparoa peninsula knows his onions, but it's a heck of a drive for a pork pie unless you're in the area.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  6. #21
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    2,878
    the original Georgie pies were pretty good as well

  7. #22
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,287
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Jeez most of you fellahs are too flash for me
    I like a plain old Jimmys Mutton pie.
    Had a Jimmy's mince n cheese when I was in southland. Was not as good as I remember but Jimmy's would have to be the best of the mass produced pies imho.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    6mm ackley likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  8. #23
    Numzane Spudattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    2,223
    The Deck at McLeods Bay on the Whangarei Heads has the best roast beef pie ever, definitely the best non-homemade pie I have ever had.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

  9. #24
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    4,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    The Deck at McLeods Bay on the Whangarei Heads has the best roast beef pie ever, definitely the best non-homemade pie I have ever had.
    Do I really need to drive up there to get it though?

  10. #25
    Numzane Spudattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    2,223

    Pies

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Do I really need to drive up there to get it though?
    I could mail you one, not sure I would eat it when it got there though....
    Last edited by Spudattack; 20-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Awaian likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

  11. #26
    Semper excretia Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    4,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Ok, here's the thing: Two sections, hot pie and cold pie.

    Hot pie - One from the Food Room on New North Rd in Kingsland. Absolute wallet raper at $8-9, but my god they are good (this is real 'special occasion' stuff). The difference between a rubbish Big Ben and a nice pie, this is to the nice pie. At the very least. Fillet steak, buffalo mozzarella, the whole nine yards.
    #beenholdingoutonme

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    162
    Chicken and mushroom pie from the Ferg Bakery

  13. #28
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mighty Manawatu
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    1 Bacon and Egg from Georges Pie Shop,Wasdyke. Now closed
    2 Mince pie from Fairlie Bakehouse
    3. Mince pie from Sims Bakery, Ashburton
    4. Mays pie from any good dairy
    Spot the truckie
    oraki and Awaian like this.

    I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

  14. #29
    Member oraki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Flatlander CSI
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Spot the truckie
    Not many towns I haven't had a pie in. They're just the ones that either stood out for me, or used to be the local goto shop. All easy to eat with one hand without wearing half of it.

    But you do all realise, every mouthful is another nail in the coffin. Amen. Preaching done

  15. #30
    Member Dundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Way East of D'Vagas
    Posts
    15,439
    Steak an cheese,mince and cheese, bacon and egg all have watties on top but no pie deserves veges.
    Beaker likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...7&font=cursive

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pies
    By seandundee in forum Off topic
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 16-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!