Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Rum Thread

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Rum Thread

Since geezejonsey had to taint the whisky thread why not start a rum one up instead.
    I lived in the West Indies for about a year, mostly in Trinidad so have had the pleasure of sampling a fair few rums from the Caribbean. What we call a dark rum here is definitely shit (Capt Morgan, Black Heart etc). Black like molasses is because it probably is. Sugar syrup and ethanol. Real rums are Red and White and a decent rum can be drunk neat like a good scotch. Often soda water is a good accompaniment as is coconut water. Coke is reserved for heathens like Baldbob and should be left in that Yankee swill he drinks.
    The best rum I remember was a Venezuelan number called Cassique and we would especially do a run to Venezuela for diesel (10c/litre) cigarettes (9USD carton) and rum. The trini rums were good too with Angostura and Fernandez being a good drop. None were expensive but as it was local so it shouldn't have been either. The most potent was a local moonshine rum called Puncheon (sp) and was usually 150 proof (or so the bottle had on the side). You did not last long on that stuff.
    Wirehunt and Beaker like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Funny you mention the quality of rum. Maitais were traditionally made with a mix of rums and no spirits. Couldnt imagine doing that with the popular rubbish we have here
    Beaker likes this.

Very keen to learn more . Like I said on whisky thread , enjoyed appletons 12 yr and Havana 7 yr , but hard to get if not at duty free .
    top gun likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

P38
    I like Rum almost as much as I like Whisky and have sampled a fair range of distillers so far.

I'm not a fan of Appletons, I do like Bundaberg with Inner Circle a favourite.

Rum like whisky is best drunk straight at room temperature, maybe with a cube of ice and sipped slowly to savour the taste.

If the distiller want it to taste like shit he would have already poisoned it with coke or some other equally crap carbonated sugar syrup before shipping and called it an RTD.

Cheers
    Pete

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Since geezejonsey had to taint the whisky thread why not start a rum one up instead.
    I lived in the West Indies for about a year, mostly in Trinidad so have had the pleasure of sampling a fair few rums from the Caribbean. What we call a dark rum here is definitely shit (Capt Morgan, Black Heart etc). Black like molasses is because it probably is. Sugar syrup and ethanol. Real rums are Red and White and a decent rum can be drunk neat like a good scotch. Often soda water is a good accompaniment as is coconut water. Coke is reserved for heathens like Baldbob and should be left in that Yankee swill he drinks.
    The best rum I remember was a Venezuelan number called Cassique and we would especially do a run to Venezuela for diesel (10c/litre) cigarettes (9USD carton) and rum. The trini rums were good too with Angostura and Fernandez being a good drop. None were expensive but as it was local so it shouldn't have been either. The most potent was a local moonshine rum called Puncheon (sp) and was usually 150 proof (or so the bottle had on the side). You did not last long on that stuff.
    Yankee swill?

Mmm bourbon!!!!
    sako75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Yankee swill? Mmm bourbon!!!!
    You'll have to start another thread BB , maybe tack it on the you no you are a hillbilly..............................
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Coruba Gold is in my cupboard...culinary purposes only...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

C'est plus facile de juger un juge que de juger un chien!!

Best Rum I have had was a Norfolk Island Black Rum a friend had. I only got a glass as was a small bottle but man was it nice. Appleton's Black label is nice too and Bundy Red.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Coruba Gold is in my cupboard...culinary purposes only...
    We need to get together again Victoria. You teach me about dogs and I will educate your rum palette!
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    You'll have to start another thread BB , maybe tack it on the you no you are a hillbilly..............................
    Its all good munsey i do live on the coast ya know!!!

My neighbour is into RUM and i dont know how many times ive heard come try this over the fence become a big night lol!!! He always has allsorts of mixes!!! He s an exceptional fan of white rum! And always say that black shits only good for the sink!
    We had a mexican white rum a while back which was absolutely devine!!!

But that plain old coruba or blackheart etc is horrible!!!

wonderful collections of appletons finest
    Name:  appletons selections.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  168.2 KB
    this one is self explanatory ,simply awesome
    Name:  1919 angostura rum.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  about gunpowder rum.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  116.8 KB
    Smoke & Oakums' Gunpowder Rums ! This includes a bottle of the Cherry Gunpowder Rum and a wee sample of J.Thomas' English Curacao 1862 Recipe! I am yet to sample both of these.

Plus of course their wonderfully different Gunpowder Rum.
    Name:  gunpowder rum.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  96.5 KB
    finally unopened untried at about 230 dollars worth

Name:  pusser`s navy rum 2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  83.9 KB

i have to admit i dont currently have them all in stock at the moment
    sako75, Bryan, Beaker and 1 others like this.
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The Dominican Matusalem behind the Angostura is a good drop.
    Beaker likes this.

Almost ran aground passing Dominican Republic. Fucking chef fell asleep on his watch and had turned the radar off as it "hurt his eyes".

Mt.Gay is the only rum to drink, had some mean wrestles after a bottle of that - on the straight side of the gay that is
    Beaker likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Mt.Gay is the only rum to drink, had some mean wrestles after a bottle of that - on the straight side of the gay that is
    Mt Gay, knobs creek?
    Surely you wouldn't drink them out of principal?
    geezejonesy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.