Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

The thing about societal breakdown is that it makes a good story. What's viewed as less of a good story is what usually happens. People are social creatures, and they tend to help one another. Look at any major disaster here or around the world and you will see people giving the shirts off their backs to help. Notice how people didn't start shooting each other when Kaikoura got cut off.

Being prepared for adversity is great, but keep in mind that your idea of what a post-disaster world looks like has been heavily influenced by popular media, and that the vast majority of people are good buggers who band together and sort shit out.
    gadgetman, 308, Bernie and 5 others like this.

Pretty sure the OP was just looking for some friendly off topic banter.
    I think some people maybe taking it to serous.
    Some people even seem to be offended.
    For the record the only thing I'm prepared for is to going hunting tomorrow.

Did some
    One say Zombies best thing would be one of those hose WW2 tank mine sweeper with the flailing arms. Then mount a big ass topper on the back of it!
    Blades on the sides of the tracks and turret.
    Plus a few cameras and wifi hook up so I can keep you all posted on action shots and progress
    Roddy, 223nut and SlowElliot like this.

For me at least. Being prepared for shit isn't a joke. I have family and people that rely on me and I take it seriously, kinda.

The need to be prepared and survive has been reinforced through natural disasters when I have become the go-to-guy. What I'm not prepared for, my best mate is, I get the piss taken out of me for being a redneck survivalist, and him for being a McGiver. We don't double up on necessities but have redundancy and fall back positions depending on the situation. We rely on each other to protect each other family members if one of us can't.

I have a young friend who thought it was all a bit of a joke, till it hit the fan, I was the 1st person he called asking what to do, his GF was the one that got on board first about what they needed to do to survive, but she is from Texas...

I always carry a grab and go bag in case I need to travel lightly, my experience tells me that when the proverbial hits, it will be when you are least prepared and you won't have immediate access to your toys and have to make do.

I don't believe in the giant spaghetti monster in the sky but it did feel like "end of days" sometimes.

As far as what to take as a bugout gun, the results are in from the states and they all say a .22, however I'm urban based and think that the mere sight and sound of a pump is enough to deter most people and/or get a line of credit if need be.

I have seen supposing normal people do some fcked up things in a disaster, eg: sabotaging neighbours water supplies so they are the only ones to get water. People get desperate reaaal quick and then their true nature comes out.

I keep a couple of goals in mind;
    1. Survive and protect - by what ever means necessary, considering rule 2
    2. Maintain law and order. If you can't maintain the law, then maintain order

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Ok so maybe not Zombies but how about a huge natural disaster or civil disorder anyway it all goes to hell in a handbag. You know no power or water and its everyone for them selves. You only have what's on you back. You have to bugout grab what you can and make tracks. A pack each and a firearm.

What do you grab out of your gun cabinet. Not what you would like to have with you but what you can lay your hands on at a moments notice.

I would grab either my 10/22 Ruger or Marlin 39A lever.22 Why? Light to carry, high capacity, ammo is light to carry and I heaps of it. Both quiet and can be used to take small game and birds for food and at a pinch can be used for self defense. Yeah sure the 7mm Mag would be nice but lets get real its heavy and how much ammo can you carry same goes for the pump action Shotgun
    LOL your in Auckland your fucked youd need more than a pop gun to escape that place !! with plenty of fresh water & livestock running around these parts I don't think anyone will be fighting over food...maybe the odd disgruntled farmer , theres a lot to be said for "small town nz" but you could have a point what if the jafa,s invade ..Im thinking walking dead , must confess I do like that to .I reckon a 22mag would be hard to beat pinged a few deer with them light , more thump than a 22 can carry a few hundered rounds easy or an sks but that would only be because I don't have an ar...this is a stupid thread by the way!

I'll just grab all my guns and ammo and all survival gear and make my way to @Rushy I'll bring my own beer tho
    mikee, seano and Boaraxa like this.

Now
    Back to the zombies! What about a super
    Sized microwave. Once you got em the in you slame the door and watch them going around tapping on the glass till they go pop

Do not attempt to render medical attention!

Shot 'zombie' man alarms hospital staff - World - NZ Herald News
    LOC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm with @gimp.
    Yup

@Boaraxa yep your right AKL is not the best place to be in times of civil unrest or a big disaster. The back up plan it try to get the 6.5m boat to water probably the Manukau Harbour and exit that way. The long term plan is 2 more years here then it's Christchurch or there abouts.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I'll just grab all my guns and ammo and all survival gear and make my way to @Rushy I'll bring my own beer tho
    Ha ha ha ha welcome neighbour.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Some of you fellahs take things far to seriously.
    mikee, Beaker and SlowElliot like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    @mikee you are probably right but what if some damn fool lets off a dirty bomb in NY or London and the world financial system goes into melt down and us along with it. I sure will want to get out of Dodge.
    Can you guys stop mentioning apocalypses and the breakdown of the financial system. Every time I get excited and prepare to carve out my feudal paradise but nothing fuckin happens.
    dogmatix, mikee and nightshooter like this.

Year sorry Rushy the big microwave was a little over the top, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Year sorry Rushy the big microwave was a little over the top, my bad
    It would be fun to stand by the door and watch them pop though.