Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Whale stranding

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I think it is a shame but hey its nature doing its thing.....stuffed my plans for the weekend tho
    were you going deerstalking on the Spit VC?

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    were you going deerstalking on the Spit VC?
    A different type of prospecting......I lived on the spit all threw the roar last year and never heard a one.....pigs and possums tho...shitloads of them.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    A different type of prospecting......I lived on the spit all threw the roar last year and never heard a one.....pigs and possums tho...shitloads of them.
    Yep the pigs do well out there. Always something dead washed up on the beach.
    I used to shoot and trap possums out the end when native plantings were being established...good times!

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    With all the Watties finest that would be required,it would create more jobs,income etc....brilliant!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    No No No we do not need a shortage in watties
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...7&font=cursive

I hear there's more whales on the way....better stock up on the good stuff Dundee

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Dundee likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Im glad there were no fluffy minded greenies around when my ancestors crawled out of the ocean millions of years ago
    Brian, Marty Henry and rockland like this.

Sad to see today a pod? Of around 100 heading straight for shore on a falling tide. Some smaller groups we managed to turn around with the boat and get them going back to deeper water.....bit like hearding sheep. But I'd say as soon as they met some more goin the wrong way they would turn round and join up.....haven't heard the news but would be very surprised if more didn't strand this afternoon and tonight.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.

Chicken Intolerant.

What we saw was simply unreal. you have to see the numbers to understand and the area. A massive massive area of 3-4 meters deep sand flat and these whales all over the place some in shallow just about stranded some out deep heading in. Two DOC boats trying to herd small groups out to sea..as VC said it was to big . We turned a pod out and moved on to another..only to have the first group join another and head in. There were 100s in small groups over a huge area of shallow water. You couldn't make a difference they were to spread out and hell bent on heading in. You watched them beach panic push them out .. then join another group and head in again. It was disheartening and I feel for the volunteers trying to save these whales but you would have needed 30 boats + and really put the acid on them ..dear I say tuna bombs or some sought of real force to move those in deep water out and keep those in shallow moving back out and keep the whole lot moving.

It sounds terrible but they are buggered if you didn't force them to go rather than guide them. As VC said I expect another 100 -150 on the sand tomorrow ... they will be buggered... they will come in on the highest tide on the month and have no chance of survival ..you see the people on the beach trying to save those ones but it's the 100s at sea heading in that you were un able to prevent beaching. They seemed to have no sense of danger or self preservation! Nature at its worst I guess!
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Good on you @veitnamcam and @stingray for having a go at turning some around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Pointer, Munsey, mikee and 2 others like this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Good on you @veitnamcam and @stingray for having a go at turning some around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    +1
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I have to like for your efforts.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

its a heck of a thing and good on you guys for having a go to save them.
    this is a known trouble spot and it will happen again.... not if but when.
    the idea of harvesting and processing the carcasses has merit in my eyes,now before you go tearing your homespun jerseys and throwing your handbags hear me out please.
    #1 they aren't dumb...despite this tendancy to strand they do learn
    #2 the Japanese are still harvesting whales in open oceans so in stead of trying to FORCE them to stop why not do a bargain/trade instead???? the meat etc from these animals is very high $$$$$ so lets get stuck in and chop them up and helecopter the meat out to freezer trucks and get it to meat works etc as fast as humanly possible and sell it off to the world markets in return for no "hunting" of whales.
    #3 use good portion of moneys recieved to fund research/attempts to prevent this happening again...eg what can we do??? sonic barrier??? long shark net type setup with say 750mm grating to allow smaller fish etc to pass through.
    #4 if 40 boats were needed buy 40 baots...life guard type zodiacs with 20hp yammies and train crews for them.
    if there is a loss of 400 whales this time and in future you could harvest 50 and save the remaining 350 and keep them out..thats got to be a better solution long term ....... surely like the hump backs in the early 1900 through to mid 1900s they blood in the waters of the area from the harvesting will sink into thier memories and teach them to stay away???
    if some of the saved 350 learn its a bad/naasty place and when in 5 years-20 years time thier pod starts to head that way they COULD stop the others and lead them away........
    I mean these animals are supposed to be highly intelegent, guys have seen big possums keeping others away fron gin traps on well used runs before,if the humble possum can learn/teach/prevent surely these graceful beauties can too.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the idea of harvesting and processing the carcasses has merit in my eyes,now before you go tearing your homespun jerseys and throwing your handbags hear me out please.
    #2 the Japanese are still harvesting whales in open oceans so in stead of trying to FORCE them to stop why not do a bargain/trade instead???? the meat etc from these animals is very high $$$$$ so lets get stuck in and chop them up and helecopter the meat out to freezer trucks and get it to meat works etc as fast as humanly possible and sell it off to the world markets in return for no "hunting" of whales.
    #3 use good portion of moneys recieved to fund research/attempts to prevent this happening again...eg what can we do??? sonic barrier??? long shark net type setup with say 750mm grating to allow smaller fish etc to pass through.
    #4 if 40 boats were needed buy 40 baots...life guard type zodiacs with 20hp yammies and train crews for them.
    if there is a loss of 400 whales this time and in future you could harvest 50 and save the remaining 350 and keep them out..thats got to be a better solution long term ....... surely like the hump backs in the early 1900 through to mid 1900s they blood in the waters of the area from the harvesting will sink into thier memories and teach them to stay away???
    if some of the saved 350 learn its a bad/naasty place and when in 5 years-20 years time thier pod starts to head that way they COULD stop the others and lead them away........
    I mean these animals are supposed to be highly intelegent, guys have seen big possums keeping others away fron gin traps on well used runs before,if the humble possum can learn/teach/prevent surely these graceful beauties can too.

We used to sell "dolphin pingers" to keep dolphins away from commercial long lines / set nets, unfortunately the turned into the equivalent of "dinner bells" for the killer whales.

You could easilly create and accoustic fence but then Greenpeace would be ringing its hands similar to the anti oil exploration ads
    veitnamcam, stingray and Tommy like this.
    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    The area really is the perfect whale trap, when you look at the underwater topography it literally herds them in like deer up a race into the sheds.

You have some good ideas there I think but doubt any of them would ever be implemented..........or maybe in another 50 years when the area is populated heavily they could be.

It is a huge shame for the deaths but it is nature doing its high grading I guess, but the waste of just burying the whales in the sand with a digger is criminal IMHO
    mikee, Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

Chicken Intolerant.

whats this going to cost the nz tax payer. Iam all for selling the meat to recover cost. it seems criminal to me as well just burying them.