Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Where are the workers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Define achievement? The straight A student in the class could be bought and sold by the classes plumber.
    Exactly. The world is full of educated derelicts. (Was it Carnegie who said that?)

@Tussock a very good way to sum the situation up!

I did the sums on going on the dole, would make more money than what I am currently doing which is just sad, can see why people do it. I'm not going down that track, would end up sitting on my arse and going crazy!
    Grim and veitnamcam like this.

Define achievement? The straight A student in the class could be bought and sold by the classes plumber.
    Achievement a thing done successfully.
    Societal changes are definitely a cause. My grandparents lived through the depression and war and passed on to my parents values, prejudices, and ethics formed by their experiences. Conditions being better for them, a different set of values and expectations arose in the 60s and 70s which influenced me. As an adult my first reality check was 22% mortgage interest rates which has left me risk adverse with credit, something the kids sadly have not inherited.
    With the push towards a knowledge based economy, and the enlightened changes to the trade training boards in the 90s effectively ending apprenticeships, replacing them with block courses and learning modules the value placed on manual skills was debased. A plumber now costs a banana republics gdp if you can get one.
    We are due another generational turning point according to tussock, i wonder what it will be.

I'm an applied scientist who has successfully applied science. In my year B students at university all out performed the A students in industry by miles. Mostly as they were the children of farmers etc. Knowledge plus skills.

School/Uni tests your ability to do school/uni. Its unlikely if you are superb at school you will work well because they are completely different.

There is this odd belief that the "economy" can support what people have referred to as "work" for the last 70 odd years.

There never was an economy. Zero economy. 100% consumption.

I had another look at my resource models. Running out of everything is going to be virtually instantaneous. Oil has no productive value left. Its why its crude $50 a barrel and still people don't want it. Crude is $50/barrel.

Fuel is still roughly where it was when crude was $100/barrel.

It costs more in energy to extract refine and deliver and oil than the global economy can afford to pay.

So where a barrel of crude cost 20L of oil to produce, leaving 180L to do work (energy does work the same as labour) a barrel of crude now requires 180L to produce and contains 20L for productive work.

When it hits 200L x 200L game over. Its more likely months away than years.

That wipes put every mine in the world, as all but the very rarest and richest deposits cease to be ore and become dirt.

Crude is like a potatoe patch. The "economy" is a gardener. If he grows a good patch in fertile soil (easy extraction) he feeds himself and there is profit left over (growth).

If he grows in shit soil (fracking) he will exhaust more energy planting and harvesting than he will receive back in potatoes. He will starve and die.

That is where we are at. Economists said some miracle would head this off. The miracle never came. Peak oil turned up exactly when and how scientists and engineers predicted it would and not surprisingly it has to be experienced to be believed.

So the system, the dollar and the "work" which is all people know is a thing of the past.

Everything is leveraged. That will no longer be needed, nor will it be possible.
    I dont understand why if what you say is correct the price of fuel is not sky rocketing with the supply/demand thing?

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

I want to like tussocks last two posts but yeah.... Nah...

When have I ever been wrong on this stuff?

If you are not a good hard worker with initiative, skill with your hands and a shitload of kiwi creativity you are completely screwed.

If ~80% of people earning above the average wage traced their earnings back to their origins they would find nothing but paper debt. Nothing of actual substance. Nothing that leads to profitable GDP and nothing that creates productive assets.

Monopoly is just a game. Nothing on the board is real. The money is not real and neither are the assets.

Ye ha. Let the fun begin
    FFS sake Tussock, stop teasing about the apocalypse. Every time it's looks certain nothing happens.
    300winmag, mikee and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    FFS sake Tussock, stop teasing about the apocalypse. Every time it's looks certain nothing happens.
    Until it does.....

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Until it does.....
    Make a hat, throw it away, make a hat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the man must think I'm made of tinfoil or something
    223nut likes this.

Here's a worker for you @Wirehunt

Name:  crazy.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  57.2 KB
    Wirehunt and GravelBen like this.
    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Its discretionary expenditure. Like milk. It comes in at $1.80 NZ per liter at the pump. That is predominantly extraction, refining and transport.

Its not $1 per liter. Crude fell from $100 to $50, fuel did not halve.

$1 per liter fuel pumped up the economy. $2 per liter was too much, it started to grind down the economy.

Wages have not risen in real terms since the 80s. So $2 per liter was too much for a working class westerner to run a jetboat or a working class person from the third world to drive a car at all.

If gas was $10 per liter, would you buy the same amount or drive less? The three family farms had one car and shared it and fuel came in sealed cans. Very little was used. We are simply heading back to there. You go up and back down again.

People are driving less. Price goes up, consumption falls. Its the down cycle. Wages buy you less and less gas globaly.

Extraction costs are measured in energy. The energy required is increasing and the capacity to pay is falling. Fewer and fewer people are capable of demanding oil.

It loses its productive value. The system slows down and there is less need for it.

Look at the share prices of global shipping and trucking companies. All battling. Nothing is on the move. Global GDP has fallen more since 2008 than it did in the great depression relatively. All the great "economic recovery" is paper. Equity and asset bubbles from money printing.

Systems gas tank is on E.
    You seem to be contradicting yourself?

As things get rarer or more difficult to produce and more and more people want it generally you put the price up not halve it?

Our at the pump price has never really followed the global barrel price down only up.

At ten dollars a liter I probably wouldn't drive at all or only very rarely to say visit the olds on there birthdays etc...

The only logical end to this fossil fuel energy boom is that it will run out that is for sure but surely prices have to rise as it gets scarcer? Why are they dropping ?demand can only be increasing we keep producing cars tucks tractors boats etc at a huge rate.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post

Attachment 58299
    Bwaaahhaaaahaaa😆

Im probably related😆

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    jakewire likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post

Attachment 58299
    Don't see the problem. He is wearing hi vis
    Pointer, Munsey, tetawa and 2 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain

workers: well lets throw a spanner in the works. asked for 3 companies to provide vehicle graphics. one replied
    sent several emails to an electronic supply company. no replies
    asked around for people interested for running cable from a-b (tools supplied) no takers

then the kiwi worker yells " no fair" when some immigrant takes the job
    308 likes this.

I'm an applied scientist who has successfully applied science. In my year B students at university all out performed the A students in industry by miles. Mostly as they were the children of farmers etc. Knowledge plus skills.

School/Uni tests your ability to do school/uni. Its unlikely if you are superb at school you will work well because they are completely different.

There is this odd belief that the "economy" can support what people have referred to as "work" for the last 70 odd years.

There never was an economy. Zero economy. 100% consumption.

I had another look at my resource models. Running out of everything is going to be virtually instantaneous. Oil has no productive value left. Its why its crude $50 a barrel and still people don't want it. Crude is $50/barrel.

Fuel is still roughly where it was when crude was $100/barrel.

It costs more in energy to extract refine and deliver and oil than the global economy can afford to pay.

So where a barrel of crude cost 20L of oil to produce, leaving 180L to do work (energy does work the same as labour) a barrel of crude now requires 180L to produce and contains 20L for productive work.

When it hits 200L x 200L game over. Its more likely months away than years.

That wipes put every mine in the world, as all but the very rarest and richest deposits cease to be ore and become dirt.

Crude is like a potatoe patch. The "economy" is a gardener. If he grows a good patch in fertile soil (easy extraction) he feeds himself and there is profit left over (growth).

If he grows in shit soil (fracking) he will exhaust more energy planting and harvesting than he will receive back in potatoes. He will starve and die.

That is where we are at. Economists said some miracle would head this off. The miracle never came. Peak oil turned up exactly when and how scientists and engineers predicted it would and not surprisingly it has to be experienced to be believed.

So the system, the dollar and the "work" which is all people know is a thing of the past.

Everything is leveraged. That will no longer be needed, nor will it be possible.
    Name:  13095795_10153601729770886_4747876353055155683_n.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  41.7 KB
    tetawa and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Wish I had taken that route, 5years of tertiary education plus 13 at school and I make coffee for a living!
    Grim likes this.