Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: .223 Remington help

.223 Remington help

Thanks for the offer @Fireflite, but I'm actually hoping @Beetroot or @Maca49 might be keen to meet up at a range and let me try their rifles to see how I shoot their setup???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good! Another option I'm willing to offer (lots of trust!) is a VX3 in warne QD rings to try off a 270wsm tikka. It will fit straight on in 10 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    All good! Another option I'm willing to offer (lots of trust!) is a VX3 in warne QD rings to try off a 270wsm tikka. It will fit straight on in 10 sec.
    A VERY generous and trusting offer mate, and if you lived within a bull's roar (same island) I'd probably take you up on it. So I'll decline...Thanks anyway

Fireflite likes this.

Parrallax setting on scope and using highest magnifaction could be a factor.

Action bolts torqued correctly? Nothing stuck (dirt, twigs etc) between action and stock?
    Hunt4life and specweapon like this.

No disrespect intended to Arthur Cleland but I sent two rifles to him at the same time to be shortened, crowned and threaded, and my brother did one at the same time (so three guns) and all three were botched. Thats about 15 years ago and I would never send another gun to him.

Your root cause analysis is a process of elimination, but don't assume that the crowning is true and correct - get it checked as part of the process.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think the threading job is the culprit Pretty much tried everything else I can think of, aside from heavy bullets, but should be able to shoot well even with 55gn

Arthur's workmanship was below my expectations from a well known smith. Even left burring on barrel and thread was rough and agricultural.

Some pics of the crown and threading job would be handy.

Will only take 10 minutes for a decent machinist or gunsmith to centre up your barrel in the lathe and redo the crown, sometimes it only takes a few spins by hand just to tidy things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    What's Arthur's opinion on it?
    Haven't asked for it. I'd never use his services again so see no benefit in consulting him. Happy to pay for another smith to assess and repair though

Hey Hunt4Life, like the guys have pointed out I guess it's a process of elimination. I have had several Tikka's over the years. One in 708 like yours that was very accurate and one currently in 223 with a 1:12 barrel.
    It has been shortened and a suppressor and shoots very well ( 5 shot , 15mm group at 100mtrs ) Check the recoil lug for sure but like you I suspect the gunsmithing work could be the culprit.
    I have used Dean Maisey in Tauranga on several occasions and he has always done a top job. The man really knows his stuff so that is who I would use if work is required.
    Wind can play a huge role in 224 projectiles but I would imagine you have shot it in varying conditions..
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Haven't asked for it. I'd never use his services again so see no benefit in consulting him. Happy to pay for another smith to assess and repair though

Give him the opportunity to examine it. You have the consumer guarantee act (cga) on your side, but if you go elsewhere that options gone.
    Front him with it and the targets be reasonable and hopefully it gets sorted, if not mention the cga, that can be suprisingly effective. If no sucess the disputes tribuneral is your next step.
    Not saying its the case here but too many crap businesses keep going because they initally fob off complaints and the complainent didn't follow through.
    tetawa, zimmer and PERRISCICABA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Hey Hunt4Life, like the guys have pointed out I guess it's a process of elimination. I have had several Tikka's over the years. One in 708 like yours that was very accurate and one currently in 223 with a 1:12 barrel.
    It has been shortened and a suppressor and shoots very well ( 5 shot , 15mm group at 100mtrs ) Check the recoil lug for sure but like you I suspect the gunsmithing work could be the culprit.
    I have used Dean Maisey in Tauranga on several occasions and he has always done a top job. The man really knows his stuff so that is who I would use if work is required.
    Wind can play a huge role in 224 projectiles but I would imagine you have shot it in varying conditions..
    Great. Thanks @viper

Send it to Friwi at DPT. Get it recrowned so that takes that out of the picture. When you get it back drop us a PM and I ll meet you at our range.
    . Is it a wooden stocked one ? . Mine is the lower twist rate so only use 55gr but it doesn't change POI with any brands.
    GWH, Hunt4life and PERRISCICABA like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..